iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I replacd my DRO with a sliding mechanical scale

Started by kelLOGg, August 02, 2015, 08:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It is not nearly as convenient but it should be  reliable.
It bolts on to my fixed scale and I can align the "zero" any where I need it. See pic.

The zero is the top line on the blue sliding scale and has 5 scales under it (0.5, 0.75, 1.00, 1.125, 1.25 and 1.5) all with 0.090" inch kerf built in. For the present log I was sawing, the customer wanted all 1 x 6s from a 24" pine. I needed to open the log at 21" leaving a 3" slab as "waist". No way would I waste it so I aligned the zero of the scale at 21" and raised the sawhead to the 3 on 1" scale and sawed down to 0 giving me 3 boards and the band at 21", the open face I wanted.

This is probably not new but it was to me. If I continue to use it, I will probably make a magnetic one.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job Bob.  That's basically how the WM scales are set up.  I like your wire pointer better.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

deadfall

Yeah, nice work on that scale.

I like that W-M lubbers line.  I use the pointer's frame as lines too, so there are actually three lines there to use.  Say I want to take 4/4 boards off the top, and any of the three lines is near the 4/4 scale, say one of them is in line with the cross on the 4.  I'll just use that.  Only the 6/4 and 8/4 scales are so wide as to possibly not be really near the pointer or the frame lines, but I can still note how far the 6 is above the frame, and the next 6 is below it, and just go for the same picture again. 

If I am doing a tall cant and want to waste off a big heart check in the middle, then I might adjust the scale to saw it from two directions.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Brian C.

We bought a magnetic scale from WM that give 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4. Since it is magnetic, we can saw 4/4 then 6/4 or whatever as we move through the log. It has been a great time saver and results are great.

fishfighter

Delawhere Jack

I've found these to be a great help when setting to scale. The salesman told me that chics dig them..... ::) Not so sure about that, but they work.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/147866/FastCap-Magnifying-Bifocal-Safety-Glasses-15-Diopter.aspx

It also helps to have have a platform to stand on so that you're viewing the scale from the same height every time. Helps eliminate parallax error.

deadfall

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 17, 2015, 07:32:49 PM
It also helps to have have a platform to stand on...

I should try that.  It's about time I was getting up in the world.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

gfadvm

Quote from: Brian C. on August 17, 2015, 10:43:42 AM
We bought a magnetic scale from WM that give 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4. Since it is magnetic, we can saw 4/4 then 6/4 or whatever as we move through the log. It has been a great time saver and results are great.

I have that same magnetic scale and love it!!!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!