iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thunderstorm ?????

Started by Woodhauler, August 02, 2015, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

I have a homemade house boat floating on blue barrels, Think it would be safe to stay on in a storm?? I was hit indirectly by lightning in the late 80s, not a fun thing!! That may be why I'm part crazy!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sawguy21

That 'splains a few things.  :D I sure wouldn't, anything above the water line becomes a lightening rod.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

There doesn't seem to be a solid answer.
Sailboats are advised to ground the mast and many talk about a 'cone of protection' provided by the mast. But there are arguements against it. too.

Link to a boat website asking about grounding/protection from masts : http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-104590.html
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

Is there a metal frame or cladding around the cabin in some way?

If there is, then you are relatively safe inside it. The current will travel around the metal frame or cladding to reach ground, and with a little luck any occupants aren't touched. It's called a Faraday shield.

This is why sitting in a car is one of the safer places in a thunderstorm. Even if the car body it hit, it conducts the current around you though the car body, and then arcs to ground under the car. Same with an aircraft. A houseboat should work in the same way.

Now you don't want to be out in an open boat of course. Then you are the highest point in the vicinity, and so the most likely thing to get hit.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!