iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Noob needs advice on Bandmills

Started by dirtymartini, July 31, 2015, 05:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

Hello All! First post here. Although I have helped a co-worker run his wood-mizer I have what I would call no experience with a bandmill.

We recently purchased 20 acres of wooded land and plan to build there. I have always been interested in saw mills...I do some woodworking and always thought it would be nice to be able to harvest my own trees for projects. Now that we purchased this property I really feel I could put one to work.

My plans are to initially mill enough to build myself a nice Garage/Barn/Workshop and later mill for woodworking projects and possibly mill a little for some extra cash.

I have been looking hard at the Norwood LM29 and the Hud-Son Oscar 428. These mills are in the price point I would like to stay in.

Any suggestions for a Noobie?

Kbeitz

In NEPA you can not use ruff cut lumber for structural buildings.
It needs to be inspested and stamped.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dirtymartini

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 31, 2015, 05:55:51 PM
In NEPA you can not use ruff cut lumber for structural buildings.
It needs to be inspested and stamped.

You're kidding right? Not even for sheds or garages? I'm so glad the government is watching out for me LOL.  Where I'm going to build it they won't even know it's there!

Delawhere Jack

Welcome. Check your local building codes. Usually the tightest restrictions are on residential structures. Barns, shed and such are often less strict. Even at that, the requirement for grade stamped lumber only applies to structural components. You can still make your own flooring, paneling, siding etc.

hackberry jake

You won't save much money cutting 2x4s and 2x6s. They are pretty cheap at the box stores. Especially when you consider you are using your time, your trees, your equipment, and your fuel. Cabinets, flooring, beams, hard to find species of lumber, etc is where owning your own mill pays off most. I have cut plenty of 2x material with my mill, don't get me wrong, but if I had it to do over, I might have just bought the 2xs and used my wood for other things. Also look into ez boardwalk mills if you haven't yet. I really like mine.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bama20a

;D ;D Buy you a stamp. smiley_ignore
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

dirtymartini

dustyhat

Thats a shame , if a person wants to build out of used pallets , or any thing else it dont look like it would be anybody's  business. o well welcome dirtymartini.

dirtymartini

Quote from: dustyhat on July 31, 2015, 08:33:04 PM
Thats a shame , if a person wants to build out of used pallets , or any thing else it dont look like it would be anybody's  business. o well welcome dirtymartini.

Thanks for the welcome dusty...I agree. I read somewhere that Tennessee has a bill in their legislature to get rid of these laws. If a man wants to saw lumber on his own land and use it to build his house it shouldn't be the government's business. 

But getting back on topic, any suggestions for a good mill around 6k?

dirtymartini

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 31, 2015, 07:00:51 PM
Also look into ez boardwalk mills if you haven't yet. I really like mine.

I just checked these out on their website. They look like a sturdy built mill for not a lot of money.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, dirtymartini.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

dirtymartini,welcome to the froum. Check out Thomas Bandsaw mills. Long ways to see one.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

etroup10

I also think you should check out EZ Boardwalk, they are a great little mill!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Magicman

Hello dirtymartini, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Dirtymartini, welcome to the Forestry Forum.
I'd be another vote for the EZ Boardwalk Jr.
I got mine a few months ago and the thing is just bulletproof compared to my last one. It's very well thought out and does a great job.

bkaimwood

Welcome dirtymartini!!! In PA, you can build anything you want out of rough cut non graded lumber...as long as its not a house, or anything that is attached to a house, or anything 1000 square foot or bigger...all those situations fall under state codes, and require the stamp...I am not aware of any local codes that would be more stringent, but there may be...as far as who I think makes a better mill between the two you mentioned? If it was me, the norwood.
bk

Ox

Welcome, dirtymartini.  My vote goes for the EZ Boardwalk.  From what I've read one of the best, most rugged little mills out there.  They are also a sponsor of this great forum.  We here try to support the sponsors you see along the left and the top whenever possible.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

hackberry jake

The codes are a double sided sward. If someone builds a house out of pallets, sells that house a year later, then collapses on the new family in a wind storm... Who's fault is it?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dirtymartini

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 01, 2015, 09:47:59 AM
The codes are a double sided sward. If someone builds a house out of pallets, sells that house a year later, then collapses on the new family in a wind storm... Who's fault is it?

The builder of course. The problem is common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden!

deadfall

The grafters are quick to protect us from each other and from ourselves by protecting their contributors' interests, doing it by making the owner built home impossible.  All they need do is allow us to only sell an owner built building as is, simple transparency.  What's the difficulty with that? 

It's the letter of the law for the common man, and it's caveat emptor when it's the businessman who is selling.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

dirtymartini

Anyone have experience with Cook's Sawmills? The MP-32 looks like a really well made strong mill.
http://www.cookssaw.com/index.php/sawmills/mp-32-portable

Banjo picker

I normally don't get involved in these whats best discussions, but since you as the op asked...I have a Cooks AC 36... it has a lot more bells and whistles than the Mp 32 but the frame of the mp 32 is made of the same gauge and size metal as the ac 36 and it is HEAVY duty.  You would not be disappointed, and Cooks is also a backer of this forum....E mail them or call them and request some info....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Robert Owens

I have had my MP 32 for a little over a year and it is a very stout built mill. I have not had any problems and it has been easy to use and not difficult to manually push through some big logs. I've cut a lot of pine in the 24 - 30 inch diameter and some oak 20 - 24 inches in diameter as well as smaller stuff and was able to custom order it to fit my needs. Check them out and talk to Billy at Cooks, great guy to work with.

Thank You Sponsors!