iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One to the shed, One to the Mizer

Started by 78NHTFY, July 29, 2015, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

During a lull in this heat wave, managed to cut some dead ash.  One load of cordwood to the shed, the other to the sawmill (LT40).  See the butt of the large sawlog--heavy ant infestation.  Cut that one 10' 6" and am hoping to get good wood to 8'6" after trimming.  Was amazed the grapple was able to lift the bugger!  Will probably be cutting live edge slabs.  Still have 8 Red Pine to cut for another job. Doesn't compare to the professionals, but for a one-man show it'll have to do.  Pics follow.  All the best, Rob.

Pulled everything to the edge of the field with 2250 Kubota/Farmi winch & bucked up.

Only had to go 500 yards to the wood shed so not well packed. :-[

Next load was saw logs (mostly); 

, including a badly ant infested butt.
If you have time, you win....

NH-Murph

Someday I hope to add one of those log trailers to the homestead.  I bet you find all kinds of handy uses for that thing.

78NHTFY

Ya, NH-Murph: at my age, no easy way to get wood out without that kind of mechanized help.  What I just did in 1/2 day would have taken me a week otherwise and left me half crippled for another.  I heat with wood and need 6-8 cord a year.  What I really like: it's gentle on my wood trails.  I manage my Tree Farm 50% for recreation and my walkers, bikers, x-country skiers, hunters, like to have "nice trails."  I can pull all my logs to the edges of trails and buck them up and load onto the trailer.  No need to drag logs home and wreck the trails during the non-winter months.  Have also used  the Forwarding trailer/grapple for moving large stones doing stone wall and retaining wall work; moving beams around while building my pole barn.  Trailer load capacity is 8 ton; grapple lifting capacity is 14,600 lbs/ft. or about 1100 lbs at 13', more if I can drag the log next to the trailer.  Looked for one for 5 years and was fortunate to find it close by.  8).  My biggest problem is being "mechanically challenged": when my tired iron inevitably breaks down it takes forever to figure it out and get someone fix it for me.  Not too big a problem though: for me this place is my paradise and I am very fortunate to live here.  All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win....

thecfarm

I could use one of them. Both for hauling wood and rocks. Probably would just about destroy it with hauling rocks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!