TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: My Grandpa diet  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Warden Sawmill
Re: My Grandpa diet
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:39 am »
My folks used vinegar on cooked spinach.  The kept a little decanter of vinegar on the table as long as I can remember.   I started noticing dad would measure out a tea spoon full and put it in a glass of water that he drank with his meal.  I asked him why but he didn't explain.

My Aunt had reoccurring gaul stones.  The doctor recommend she add vinegar to her diet.

It must be getting popular.   The only place we could find raw apple cider vinegar was at Amish and Mennonite country stores.  Now Walmart is stocking it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 08:33:55 am »
I put vinegar on cooked greens, cabbage, strawberrys and baked beans.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:00 pm »
While you folks eat spinach with vinegar on it we have always had cider vinegar on ostrich fern fiddle heads as they are picked fresh this time of year in the woods. I don't think they are quite up yet in my woods. We grow Swiss chard and I have grown spinach, but it heads too soon compared to chard.  :)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:27 pm »
My parents had a decanter of vinegar too. They used it on dandelions greens. I really don't remember about spinach. That was one of the few things that I got away with not eating.Two of the grand kids LOVE cucumbers and vinegar.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2016, 08:25:06 am »
If you watch Netflix,   check out a video named "Suger Coated".   It's a commentary on the health risk associated with the increase in sugar consumption and the politics involved.   
Sawing since '94

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2016, 09:56:56 am »
Secrets of Sugar is another done by CBC.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2016, 10:02:24 am »
Well done (no pun).  ;D

Your success is inspiring; I hope sharing my success isn't seen as a thread highjack.:

I quit eating gluten, white pork meat, and dairy products (except butter) two years ago; I quit eating eggs a month ago, and I don't miss them (a bit) because it seems to be reducing  inflammation in my system. Inflammation is a huge culprit of pain. 

I wrap my grass-fed burgers in lettuce  smiley_thumbsup

Reducing the acidic foods raises the pH ratio in most bodies; many cancers thrive in acidic environments.

Funny how the pork industry uses "the other white meat" as a marketing slogan when white pork meat is acidic; red pork meat has a higher ph.

Modern dairy products and wheats coat the intestines and restrict the flow of good nutrients entering into the bloodstream. The brain needs clean blood to carry oxygen and nutrients for optimal thinking.

Almond and cashew milk have been suitable replacements.

Eat whole foods and read the labels.

I recommend getting the heavy metals out of your system too; (chelation). I take zinc tabs and a cap of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water every AM.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »
Here you go. Eggs are now not the root of all evil.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/70763544/could-two-eggs-a-day-keep-the-doctor-away

Study by Sydney University of people with type 2 diabetes. Some ate 2 eggs a day, the others didn't. No change in cholesterol or blood sugars. Only effect noticed was a slight improvement in the "good" cholesterol level, but not enough to be significant. (Just enough to get more funding for another study probably  ;) :) )

Here's what I have found about eggs; the eggs were fine for many people until the egg-whites were turned into "Trojan Horses" for the immunization industries. Depending on how many immunizations a person has been given...the body may not be able to differentiate the egg-white (good food) from an injected virus. The body reacting to viruses may be normal (even beneficial) in the natural sense....but every time egg white is injested our bodies could be going into a white blood cell manufacturing (trama) mode.

For older people or a so-called free range children; egg whites may not be a problem, but for people like myself; with 8 or 9 pages of shot records, eggs were causing problems I didn't know about until I got off them.

An egg-white hiatus may be worth a try.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2016, 05:45:07 am »
We are taking retirement seriously.  That means the mill has weeds growing up inside and the log lot has grown over in grass.  That also means Mary and I are traveling more and eating out more.

Eating out is a diet killer. We still try to pick our cafes and eat light.

Sunday we were on the road and made an effort to make it to a roadside cafe in a small village.  But we got there too late and the parking lot was full of church goers. So we decided to drive on. Got about 20 minutes from home and Mary suggested we pull into a mini-mall and get some Chinese takeout.  Ok.  She got an order of sweet and sour soup and two lunch size chicken something or other dinners. 

We got home about 2:00 and split the soup and had egg roll each.  Before soup was totally consumed,  I added 3-4 dumpling size chunks of chicken and a couple of spoons full of rice.  I was full.

It wasn't long before I started feeling like crap.  I took my BP and it was elevated to the danger point.  I took it again about 8:00 and it was way over the danger point - 186/118.  I have some medication left and took 1/4 of one pill. This is usually enough to knock my BP back down.

I went to bed and tossed and turned until past midnight.  My BP  was still dangerously high. I took another 1/4 pill. By morning my BP had fallen some.  I got out and took three good walks during the day and tried to keep active despite feeling like crap.  I don't know if it was the high BP or the medication because the medication makes me feel like crap too.

By afternoon I was getting better BP scores. I slept reasonably well. Yesterday my BP continued to fall and by mid-afternoon dropped to really good point.

So....  what d'hell happened?   I suspect MSG in the Chinese food. 

My BP spikes from time to time and I started to associate it with eating at a cajun catfish place.  They have cajun seasoning on the table and I coat my catfish with it.  Also my roasted corn on the cob and put sum in my red beans and rice.  The last couple of visits I have left the cajun seasoning in the little boat. There is probably some still in the food served but not the overdose I had been getting.
Sawing since '94

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:43 am »
Chinese food? Follow the food delivery truck and the same truck stops at the chinese food places. They just season it diffeant.
MSG?? I have no idea how to prove it is used,but when I eat chinese food I start to sneeze. Just like eating at the stepson house. They serve prepared food and that will get me sneezing too.
We don't eat alot of prepared foods. Pizza does not seem to bother me. We don't eat out much in a sit down restaurant. Seem like italians and pizza is our on the road food. There is place called Red Barn that we go to. They deep fry chicken and sea food. That is wicked good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
Although more of our foods are coming from China and this will likely increase,  obviously,  I'm pointing a finger at MSG. 

While in don't believe in studies, here is one that is condemning of MSG.

http://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/7-alarming-msg-side-effects/

Then you can find testimony that MSG actually lowers blood pressure!  So what to believe?   Mary only knew about the restaurant by recommendation from her sister.  While Mary was waiting for her order, a couple eating there just raved about the food.  They use to eat there all the time but moved so only get there on occasion.  It didn't seem to effect Mary.   Maybe I'm 1 in 1000 that MSG effects?
Sawing since '94

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2016, 10:01:38 am »
You're not the only one. MSG makes me dizzy, blurs my vision, and gives me the squirts.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.