iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying my first mill - question about motor power

Started by kjellv, July 29, 2015, 09:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjellv

Hi! I'm new to the forum and looking for some advise from the experienced sawyers in here.

I'm still young, but for a long time I've wanted my own band saw. I grew up on a small farm and I've spent quite some time in the forest with my chainsaw and our tractor. Although I've moved to the city because of work, I spend a lot of time on the farm. There's a lot of fixing up to do on the farm, and instead of buying timber/cladding why not saw it myself? We have a forest, so let's use it!

I've been looking on different brands, and it has come down to Logosol (Norwood under a different name here in Norway) or Wood-Mizer. Because I've come across a very good offer for the LT10 electric 5.5kW I'm thinking that this could very well be my first sawmill!

The question now is: will the smallest model from WM have enough power for my use? I'm thinking that it will be sufficient, but I have no experience with bandsaws so I don't really know. The saw will be used for sawing for my own projects and renovation of the farm, and maybe a little bit for some neighbors. 95%+ of the timber will probably be pine, and  I'm guessing mostly under 16" in diameter.

-Kjell

Shadevalley

You should be fine if 95% of what you are cutting is pine and with the hard woods you will just have to cut a little slower.
Wood is good!

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Percy

That 5.5 kw = a bit over 7 hp. For what you are going to do with it, Im thinkin is a good place to start...get your feet wet so to speak. If you lust more mill/need better production, selling that unit shouldnt be a problem... Sawing lumber is an honorable addiction.... Welcome...:D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ianab

I'd expect 5.5kw to work fine on an LT10 size mill, and because you are dealing with smaller logs, no worries.

Electric motors work well on sawmills because of their better torque curve. If you load them up and start to slow down, the torque produced actually increases, and resists that slowing down better than a gas engine would.

End result is that you can power though knots in the log that would briefly bog down a gas engine. When the engine bogs down and you loose blade speed, or have to slow the feed too much, is when you get wavy cuts. If you have the engine torque to keep cutting at a good feed speed, you get the best results.

Only down side of electric mills is you aren't portable. But if that's not a problem, they are the best option. Maintenance and running costs are less with electric as well.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kjellv

Thank you for your replies and warm welcome :)

Quote from: Ianab on July 29, 2015, 11:08:52 PM
Electric motors work well on sawmills because of their better torque curve.
That's what I was thinking, you don't need to be in the relatively short interval with the rpm on the motor to get the highest torque :)

Quote from: Ianab on July 29, 2015, 11:08:52 PM
Only down side of electric mills is you aren't portable. But if that's not a problem, they are the best option. Maintenance and running costs are less with electric as well.
Portable is not something I'm looking for. I'm building a stationary mill at the side of the main road, right where my dirt road goes into the forest. So it's right where I always haul my lumber :) Lower maintenance cost (and work) is important, and so are the running costs. Where I'm at 1 kWh costs about $0.10 I guess (60% taxes), so electric easily wins over petrol/diesel.

I'm going for it! Hope it lives up to my expectations!

ScottInCabot

I've been running a WoodMizer LT-10 with 10 horse for almost 6 years.  There has not been a piece of timber that I could put on the bunk that would stop it.  Walnut, dry Hickory, White, Red, and Pin Oak, Osage Orange at 18" across....nothing stopped it.
Does it run through timber at lightning speed?  Heck fire no!  But, it isn't supposed to either.

So, yes, an LT-10 is a great mill!

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

soutz

the woodlands mill is great as a starter band mill.

if its a swing mill jp Peterson- no question

thecfarm

kjellv,welcome to the forum.
I have no idea about the hp part,but do like the electric part. If I would of known about this place when I got mine sawmill,mine might be electric. I don't use mine much,kinda like what you are doing,but I'm building my out buildings. The mill just sits there until I need it. Might sit for a year at a time without sawing a log.
Have fun sawing.
How are you geting the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kjellv and Shadevalley.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

As I understand it three-phase is standard where you are, which makes electric a lot more attractive.  Norwood has an electric option which is fairly common in Europe and Africa, but not here in the U.S.  Worth looking into-- been very pleased with my mill.  Let us know what you decide.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ludo

Welcome Kjellv-

I too agonized over motor size when building my custom wide cut sawmill.  In the end I sided with the person who built the mill.  He suggested a 35hp gas engine.  Many people thought that this would be underpowered however I have cut 60" diameter hard maple logs straight through the center at 9-10 feet per minute.  The secret?  Always use a sharp blade!

Good Luck, be safe, and have fun! 

Thank You Sponsors!