iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

US MAIL VS TIMBER RATTLERS

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 28, 2015, 09:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Was up in the woods yesterday salvaging a walnut in a runoff when wife came up on her 4 wheeler looking for me. Neighbor lady who is our mail carrier had called with a rattlesnake she had killed on her route and wanted me to skin it for her. She and her dad brought it up and I took it to my skinning rack and skinned it for her. Rattlesnakes are not real common here in our area. This is only second one I have skinned.

First one was for her granddad about 24 years ago. We'd been here about a year and out of the blue I got a call, verified who I was and this stranger asked if I knew how to skin a rattlesnake. I opined I figured I did. He told me to come down and skin one he had so we loaded up and went down and skinned it for him. Turns out his grandson and my son were friends in school at the time and son had evidently told them something to make them think I could skin a snake. That old man is now 96 years old, still drives and works on his farm. Drove a truck load of medical supplies across Burma road in WWII when first opened as a young man when he was in the Army. His mind is still clear and I could spend all day talking and listening to him. I ran into him a few years back while wife was photographing at his farm place and re-introduced myself and asked if he remembered me and he said "Sure, you're the snake skinner."

Anyway, after we got the snake skinned (rattlers are really very easy to skin) we visited my lumber pile and they selected a cherry slab to mount it on. The last one her grandpa put on a board with some foam pipe insulation under it to round it out. I hope this one turns out well for them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Timber rattlers are usually docile, but I still have a dislike for them......and cottonmouths.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Poor little snake. Didn't have a chance to grow up big enough to make boots out of.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

Our farm in north Missouri had a lot of them.  I was working in the shop with the big doors open one day.  A rattler came in and bit our Doberman and almost got me.  Put a picture of that snake (dead) right here on the forum.  Couple of years later one bit our Dachshund in the head right above the eyes.  Both dogs recovered, but they suffered for a month.

Strangely enough, on our place here in Arkansas we've never seen one.  All kinds of timber, rocks, caves, and usually a log pile or two for them to hide in.  Don't miss em one bit.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

I grew up in NW Fla and we had many dangerous snakes (Eastern diamondbacks, timber, canebrake and pygmy rattlers) copperheads, coral snakes and oodles of cottonmouths. Don' t know how many boat paddles and fishing poles I broke messing with cottonmouths that were generally minding their own business. Had several friends shot holes in bottom of their boats usually when only a harmless water snake would fall in. We mostly have copperheads in WV but if not around someone's home or stock I even leave them alone now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

There was a story on TV news this morning.  Some gal in Okahoma got bit by a copperhead.  After 18 shots of the serum she was cured.  Got a bill for $200,000 just for the serum.  Think they said it was only made in Australia...not here for sure.  She wasn't complaining because her insurance paid it all.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!