iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share your PR Travels

Started by Magicman, July 27, 2015, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

To many the Pig Roast is only a short drive away, but for some of us it is a bit more than that.  We try to plan some side trips on the way there and also some different scenery on the return trip to home.

When we passed through Memphis we went to the Bass Pro Shop Pyramid. 

Full sized fiberglas Cypress trees reach upward.  :o

The size is deceiving.  25 stories high and huge.

In Sikeston MO, we ate at Lambert's Cafe, the home of the "Throwed Rolls".

The "roll throwing" guy.

Huge yeast rolls with "pass around" fried okra.

My plate included fried chicken wings, pan fried potatoes, okra, corn, Lima beans, slaw, carrots, mashed potatoes, and unlimited rolls.   :o   food3

Tomorrow we will go North on I57 to Indy and then I69.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You need a nap now.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Wow looks like fun!  Love okra!
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Okay. Admit it. You were estimating how many bf of fiberglass lumber you'd get out of those fake trees!

Enjoy the trip. Safe travels.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

They looked real.  I had to knock on one before I was completely satisfied.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

That's why thy call you the Traveling Man have fun and be safe
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

r.man

You could probably plan a trip around restaurants that throw some of your food at you. I saw film of a pancake place that threw extra pancakes to you. The thrower was very good.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

drobertson

Looks just great! I look forward to a road trip with not many time constraints.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

nmericle53

MM,  we ate at Planners in Springfield years ago and yes it is a fun place. When we passed it today we started to call ahead to see if they threw them to cars as they drove through parking lot!
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Magicman

Nothing exciting yesterday or today.  We have decided to visit some of Michigan's West Coast tomorrow.

gspren

We left home on Tuesday morning after a slight delay with a flat tire (needed a new valve stem) but still made it to Benezette, PA by mid afternoon. Benezette is in Elk County and home to the largest free roaming Elk herd east of the Mississippi, at least that's what they claim, and we saw over 40 Elk that evening while driving on the mountain. Today while driving on the Ohio turnpike we saw a car with "GOAT" for his license number but probably not OUR Goat. We are now in Petersburg, MI at a KOA campground and should make it to Hidden Hill in Harrison tomorrow. See you there.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Andy White

PR Travels
Yesterday, we stopped in Wheaton, Mo. to visit with Yukon Cornelius and his family. Man, when he says he is at the jumpin' off place,....believe him!!! The OnStar, and my trusty Garmin both could not put me there!!! A few cell phone calls for road directions had us there . Looked the place over good, and spent time in the shop looking at all the project wood! He's got enough to keep the projects going from now on. Ashton has been learning from his schooling at Roy's and has built a really good spring pole lathe. He also has started his handtool collection, and has some good pieces already, saws, chisels, and a really cool jointer plane. He is going to be a great woodworker as he learns the finer points. A really great young man. Left the Gulch at 6.30, heading to Belleville Illinois. Got in the motel at 12.30 this morning. A really short night, and have not had time to download any pictures yet. Left there this morning at 6.00AM and drove and stopped and drove all the way to Chicago, on old route 66. We looked at old cars, museums, Springfield  move_it move_it food1 and everything to see from there to here. We are in Sawyer Mi. resting up for tomorrows travels. Will make the lakeshore drive to where we can go across to Haughton Lake where our reservations are. Try to be in early and post some picts. This trip has been a real blast! We all fell in love with Pontiac, Illinois. Really cool town. 8) 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

nmericle53

Sorry Lynn on my post about Lambert's. My crazy phone has auto correct and I typed Lambert's but it posted different. When Andy got on here tonight he said WHAT'S this post about? Did not catch it before I posted. See you at PR.

Howdy

The is a running narrative of a crazy old man with nothing better to do than type every thought that trickles through his mind while riding the train across the nation.  Read at your own risk.  Spelling was not corrected as I was using Wordpad...

5:07 pm    July 26, 2015
   The train has left the station.  I am aboard.  First I need to describe the actions that put me on a train heading East...

After two weeks of packing, unpacking, changing suitcases, and finally allowing my Wife to help, I have discovered that 62 pounds of stuff can really fit into a 30 pound bag (if you stuff it in tight enough).  I am allowed two checked bags not to exceed 50 pounds and two carry on bags as well.  Of course I am pushing the limits by packing at least two and sometimes three of everything I own most not to be used at all.  Somehow I never did overcome the "be prepared" motto of the Boy Scouts so I have packed everything but the bathroom sink and I left that only because when I made it - it developed cracks that rendered it unusable. 

First impressions of the train ride East...
   The train is Quite, very Quite.  A little bouncy but clean and not too tired looking.  I have a window seat on the upper level facing South so I can enjoy the view of the Columbia River for the next 150 or so miles.  The train is kept at a well air conditioned temperature so it is a little chilly for an old man like me.  I wish I had prepared for this by not packing my sweat shirt in my checked baggage so will have to wrap up in my fuzzy blanket if it gets cold enough. 

While waiting in line to board the train I was chatting with a couple of people next to me and after standing in line for 45 minutes they wanted me to exchange my car assignment so I could ride in the caboose.  When I pointed out trains no longer had cabooses they assured me the train master would find one for me after talking to me for a while.  I choose not to explore that option. 

People are wandering up and down the isle.  I see they can also move between the different cars as well.  I don't have a seatmate as yet, perhaps when the train gets more crowded someone will take a chance and sit next to me.  Not likely however as I take up more that my allotted seat in girth so it will take a really skinny person to fit next to me.  Carry on luggage is stored overhead much like on an airplane but there is an abundance of legroom and wide windows to see out of. 

The train travels on the North banks of the Columbia River allowing one to view some amazing views.  I have driven many times the highway (I84) that runs on the Southern banks so this is a new way to appreciate Gods Glory.  I am Blessed in so many ways.  Not only do I have a wonderful Wife who allows me to go on this journey but I also have the time and with the help of LegRite (Professional Tools built for life and made in America), can mostly afford the trip.  I love the idea of travel, but seldom can do much more than "armchair" voyages. 

8:40 pm July 26, 2015
   Twilight grows across the land.  Still next to the Columbia River however the surrounding terrain has flattened out.  In the distant Northeast (?) is a sunset that makes the sky aflame with color.  I don't know where we are  but the train continues rolling along.  On the low hills nearby is the first wind farm I have seen.  Blades 150 feet long rotating silently producing power for the nation.  We are coming into a town as the buildings are becoming more numerous and I just spotted an auto wrecking yard (one of my passions, too many to list says my Wife).  It would have been great to discover what treasures await however the train is moving too quickly for a detailed viewing. 

I hear that we will join the Seattle train around midnight and that will add a dining car for those $30 steaks.  I have several sandwiches and some other goodies packed with love by my Wife.  I am not sure if she doesn't want me to starve or just is too CHEEP frugal and wants me to save my money for fun (Ya Right).  The PA just anounced we are about to arrive in Pasco WA. so now I know where we are.  Some stops along the way are smoking stops where their is a charge of desperate people trampling one another to jump off the train and foul the air.  Thank you Lord that I don't have any need to further curope my body.  All too quickly came the returning tide each exhaling a final stink of fumes and off we roll again.

It's still rather chilly but I am wrapped up in my blanket.  I have taken a nap already and have just realized this is a two day trip.  Not two days with one night but a full 47 hours.  That means I will be trying to sleep sitting up for two nights as well.  Now if I was in my recliner at home I might be comfortable but I can't put my feet up so making the best of it is all I can do.  The seats in my Superliner car are not plush but okay (I hope to still be able to say the same in a couple of days).  Not long ago, I wandered around from car to car and found the lounge car.  It has floor to ceiling windows that curve over head making a skylight effect.  The seats there face out and swivel so groups of people can interact easily.  Then I found the snack car area but am glad I don't have to rely on it for nourishment. 

Night has blackened the scenery so I guess it is time to watch a movie.  My former Son-In-Law has fixed me up with an external hard drive to add to my tablet computer so I have additional  entertainment to keep the hours from dragging on.  Perhaps I will start with the Blues Brothers as that seems to be a fitting movie for someone heading for Chicago. 

Well that didn't work.  Microsoft Media Player doesn't like the way the movies are setup so I might not get to watch any until I can ask how to fix the problem.  I do get to listen to music and am now experiencing a restful rain shower.  It is dark outside and the interior lights are dim so all I can see are the occasional lights outside.  It may be dry as an old bone but within my inner world is a wet and refreshing existence.   It is interesting to note the communities we are traveling through.  Who or where I don't have a clue.  Mostly darkness with distant lights then an explosion of illumination when passing near something or another.  The only sound to be heard is the train whistle blowing when we approach a crossing I guess.  Sometimes late at night when sleep is fleeting I will hear train whistles while lying in my bed.  I live in town more than a mile from any tracks yet the sound fills the air much as oil will drip onto the driveway and cover every speck of surface.  Both leave a lasting presence.

All is calm now.  Next stop is Spokane Wa. where we meet another train from Seattle and then it will take an be an hour or so of combining the cars into a single East bound train.  Some people  will leave us while we gain a bunch more.  Thankfully they will be riding in their own cars so our cars should not be affected.  It's so dark... I should sleep but my brain is not ready to relax yet.  I have been on overdrive for a while worrying about packing, forgetting something important, and desperately trying to leave a few things behind.  I know I have over-packed, my Wife stopped trying to get me to realize I don't really need three of everything.  She is a wonderful helpmate.  God knew I would need someone special to put up with me and He doesn't make it any easier for her.  What She did to deserve me I will never know.  We have been married for 35 years and I can say in all that time we have never said a cross word or failed to remember the other persons feelings in every thing we have done.  Who leads or who follows has always depended on the situation.  Neither one has always gotten their own way but we have both always chosen the path that works for us in the end.  It remains a good life.  I have children, grandchildren, friends, and a good Church to belong to where God's Word is spoken.  I am a happy man who is well loved.   Enough of this rambling. I need to find another way to pass the night.

1:23 am July 27, 2015

Still sitting in Spokane. Most activity has quieted down, departing passengers are long gone, my fellow travelers are trying to get some sleep.  Unfortunately the Boarder Patrol may have other ideas.  They are marching up and down the isle and give every indication they are seeking an escape Canadian moderate who is determined to bring national healthcare to America.  No wait, that is already being done.  Perhaps it is someone who thinks a crazy American is trying to invade Canada and is packing guns, ammo, and Grits.  Gasp, the nerve.

The Amish have arrived.  Everything I have learned about the Amish points to them being quite, reserved folk.  Solid and proud of their heritage they avoid anything that brings attention to themselves, however I may need to revise my beliefs.  A group of older adults in traditional garb and speaking a mixture of Germanic and English words have joined the train here in Spokane.  Note it is very late or extremely early - either way most of this car is now awake and pretending to be asleep, hoping that the new passengers find seats elsewhere.  I am of mixed feelings as I think I would enjoy the experience of meeting and talking with one of them.  But that would mean giving up the empty seat next to me for the rest of the trip (I'm sure they are traveling to Chicago also so that they can return to their home areas).  Would they feel comfortable speaking with an English person?  A man perhaps, but not likely a woman.  Anyway they found seats close together in the front of the car and my chance to explore their culture has passed for tonight.  Perhaps I will attempt to meet one of them along the journey.
We are rolling again after about 90 minutes merging trains together.  I could report that it is not easy to get comfortable but there will be lots of time for that later.  For now I will enjoy the passage of lights, hearing the train whistle blowing and sharing with the world it's cry of adventure, and relish in the quietness of such a large behemoth moving across the land.

2:36 am July 27, 2015
   A thought just occurred to me.  I could have a gun in my bag, exploding shoes, more than 2 ounces of liquid, and GASP - maybe even a pocket knife!!!!

Where is the security?  How can I be protected from all the crazy people hatching plots to import Twinkies and Goats into the Midwest?  There goes any chance of getting any sleep tonight....

5:06 am July 27, 2015
   At least that's my time, I don't have any idea what time it is where ever I am now.  I have awaken to a change of scenery: TREES, mountains, and a ruggedness that encourages the pioneering spirit.  I like it!  There is a large stream/tiny river running nearby that looks like it might even have fish.  Honey, (I always call my Wife honey when I want something unrealistic.  Don't know why, it is just something that evolved over the years) Let's move here.  i can build a log cabin with these trees and you can learn how to skin, tan, and make buckskin clothing.  Sounds good, huh?

Thinking of tanning hides, last week while visiting the National Park Service site for Lewis and Clark's trips end near Astoria Oregon, my family saw a demonstration of scraping a deer hide to make rawhide.  The Park Rangers then showed how to use brains to tan the hide and follow that with washing, softening, and working the hide until it was ready to be made into clothing.  I have wanted buckskin clothing for years, so all I need to do now is get a gun, truck, ammo, and related camping gear.  Go out and find a place to practice shooting,  buying even more ammo, and finally :snowball: get a licence.  After all this, I need to get the Wife's permission to go hunting.  After she "explains" the folly of my ideas, I will worry Her with desire until she gives in and packs me a lunch before sending the "Great Hunter" out on an unsuspecting wilderness, safe in the understanding that I won't see anything to shoot at anyway.  The Park Ranger explained that if I put an ad out requesting hides and a barrow at the end of my driveway for drop offs, I will have all I need within a week so why go to all the trouble and risk of trying to kill something myself. 

i can just imagine what it would smell like to have a barrow full of rotting deer hides and how popular I would be with the neighbors.  By then I will have understood the Rangers explaining that to scrape, tan, and process a hide into buckskin is real work.  Something I am seldom up to following through with.  So the only way I am ever going to get buckskin clothing is to purchase a herd of hides and have someone skilled into making clothing for "portly" gentlemen.  Outta cost about the same as buying a new truck I think.

It just got really dark outside, trains in a tunnel.  A really long tunnel, really dark. Geeze. 

A really loooooooooooooooooooooooooogggggggggggeeeee tunnel. But I'm not afraid, not even one bit.  Nope not me.  At all.  No Sir.  Gosh, will this tunnel ever end.  How they make such a dark hole in the earth? Maybe I have my eyes closed, OUCH, nope their open.  It's a reallllllllyyyyyy long tunnel.  "Honey, where are you"? I don't speak Chinese and the batteries are not going to last forever.  Gulp.  I feel the train still moving.  I getting colder so at least i know I ain't going to He....

Wow!!!  It's light again.  And standing outside are deer just out side the tunnel.  Who needs a truck or gun, maybe they will get run over and I can skin them right here.  "conductor, please stop the train so I can harvest my new duds?" That must have been close to ten minutes or so inside that tunnel.  I gotta go potty but don't want to miss any wild life outside.  What's a fella to do?  See you soon.

6:32 am July 27, 2015
   Whitefish MT.  Eating a Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwhich.  Ever wonder why you never get hungery when at the beach? 'Cause of all the sandwich ??? is there!   An old joke, much like my youngest daughter "always" forgetting her shoes whenever we went to the beach and us having to buy her a new pair.  That went on for several years until we finaly wised up and brought extra just for her. 

I have just met two Amish gentlemen named Leon and Jacob.  They travel around by bus and train witnessing the wonders of the land.  I enjoyed chatting with them, we could relate well enough to share with one another on many areas so hopefuly I can continue the conversation as the trip continues.  They are returning to Lancaster PA. after having to cut the trip short due to possible health issues.  Thank You Lord for allowing me the strength to travel and a chance to make new friends.  Sitting here on a train that is still gives a completly different sperspective.  We are sitting at the Whitefish depot with a pleasent green grass park next to the parking lot, trees all around and mountains close by.  I can see why people like it here, but I fear the winters would get just a little too cold for me.  Last year Portland enjoyed about seven hours of winter snow, just enough to say we had some so the rest of the country could understand we have four seasons too.

Well we just passed a flock of seven wild turkeys.  Big juicy plump critters. 
Wow, a wigwam wood burner!  I haven't seen one of those in years.  Several sawmills in the area producing some pretty good looking lumber.  When I was a very young boy my family followed the sawmills through out Northern California and Southern Oregon.  We traveled from mill to mill wherever there was work, always seeking a new job after being fired from the last one.  Mom never did have good taste in men, generally marying one drinker after another.  It did make for some memorable childhood stories though.  I was walking log rafts before I started school and could see a never ending convayor belt feeding the wigwam burners 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  The constant blow of the fires remains one of my most concrete memories.  Last night I as sitting sideways trying to sleep I had the feeling of being a kid sleeping in the back seat of the car always on the move.  It was a earley sensation.  We had a Nash Metropolitian at one time and just for fun Mom's current husband drove UNDER a fully loaded log truck.  That was in the day when a single log could fill the bunks and never more than three.   

9:20 am July 27, 2015
   Browning MT.  More wigwam burners, and my first Willys Sedan Delivery truck.  It looks to be an early one, perhaps 1950 or '51 with twin windows in the rear doors that open beside each other not the usual station wagon style.  I own a 1953 willys Station wagon as my dream truck never to be fixed up and always to sit under the carport.  When the grandkids were younger we took many an imagainary trip in that truck.  Now no one has time for it any more.  It was my hope to get it running as a daily driver but there is never enough extra money when the family needs exceed earnings.  My youngest grandson has claimed it for his own (he's 14 now) but I fear it is as much a pipe dream as mine.   

price of gas in shelby is $2.84

1:57 pm A never ending day
   Farmers and ranchers have a thrifty nature, or maybe jsut lazy.  I don't know which.  When their old car/truck/combine/whatever dies they just drag in to the side of the field and go get another.  No one seems to recycle anything unless they need a part or chunk, then they have a built in scrap yard filled with stuff useful or not.  It's probley that way with their worn out spouses as well.  I'm lucky that my Wife hates to have useless things cluttering the homestead.  I guess I shouldn't be too supprised to learn my return ticket has been changed and She has packed up my Wonder Woman poster along with my tim foil hat.  Maybe she will tell me where she is sending them, and me too.  I hope it is nice...

I just realized I forgot my cheese curds.  Saturday our last day at the beach we stoped by the Beef Jerkey and Cheese factories as it is a family tradition whenever we go to the coast.  I remembered to bring the jerkey but left the curds at home.  Sigh, most likely the grandkids will find them and "Poof" they will be gone.  Well, at least the jerkey is realy good. 

While I was exploring, I aquired a seatmate.  She says she isn't likely to murder me while I sleep by imbeding a knife in my chest but time will tell.  She is on the way to visit her husband who is currently a guest of the State Of Missouri for the next year or so.  Says she makes this trip several times a year so she knows all about the train.  She also says she prefers Orange jumpsuits over Striped, but wouldn't go into why.  She appanently has had ocasions to wear both but isn't a murderer.  I theorize her husband took the fall for "Stinky LaFeete" and is serving time while being inocent.  Ya Sure.

Sill in Montana, where we are has pleanty of water as we have been skirting a river for a long time.  Fields well irrigated producing rolls of hay everywhere. 

I wonder if my Wife will mind me sleeping with a strange woman, she certinly is with me sitting next to her.  I guess her husband can't say to much as he is sleeping with strange men every night.  But he is inocent.  My seatmate has excaped me for a while.  She kept looking at me with an expression that says she shoulda taken the plane this trip. 

It has been raining while the train is rolling along.  Not a good frog strangler but enough to wash the dust off.  Speaking of dust, there is plenty of it throughout the train cars.  They may be clean but it is clear many millions of miles have rolled by since they were last refurbished. 

We ahve stoped in Malta MT (?) and there is a Seagull flying around.  Stoopid bird, the ocean is nowhere near here.  Temp outside is 78 degrees and it is still like a referigation in this train car.  The overhead PA just anounced while waiting for a freight train to pass by our engine died.  Now that we are stopped again they are taking the opptunity to reboot the systems and run dianogistic tests "just to be sure" the train makes it further down the tracks. 

2:30 pm And Montana is still out there.
   I finally ??? figured out how to get a movie to play so I watched the "Blues Brothers".  Rather a fitting way to approach Chicago.  When the movie ended I was thinking it must be around 6 pm or so.  Imagine my surprise to see it was still early afternoon.  Time sure walks when traveling by train.  With the need to give freight trains the right-of-way and now we are experiencing a safety speed restriction requiring us to go  25 mph there is a chance to see the wayside up close and personal like.  This slow-down looks to be due to extensive maintenance being performed on the tracks.  It must be difficult to keep everything in good repair while still having trains roll past.  I have seen a great deal of equipment and supplies all through the journey.  We just passed three tank cars laying on their side.  Looks like they didn't make the trip undamaged.

Hummm, what's going on here?  The computer says it is 6:01 and my watch says 3:00 while my telephone thinks it is 7:04.  I kinda figure the telephone has realized we have crossed into a different time zone but the computer hasn't established an internet connection anywhere along the way.  So I guess my three dollar watch is shiny but that's all it's good for. 

I have gobbled all the sandwiches my Wife packed and a good thing too.  The last couple of chicken salad ones were getting a little tingly while the peanut butter and jelly held up just fine.  All I have left is snack stuff so maybe tomorrow I will give the dinning car and it's expensive food a try.  At least I ain't gonna starve as long as the beef jerky holds out. 

1:46 am July 28, 2015
   Last location for the train was North Dakota.  It's dark.  The kind of dark that would dazzle the eyes with heavenly splendors if I could see the stars.  Darkness that make you wonder if your eyes are open or shut.  Cave darkness, well diggers darkness.  A total black with only the occasional flickering where flame gives totality of expression.  Oil. Black Hills Gold.  Liquid money burning in the night.  Flame that's the result of pumping oil from the ground and gas forcing it's way out.

There also is a Lightning storm flashing across the sky. It's so flat here that the horizon is a straight line betwixt earth and sky. I seldon have seen a lightning storm in total silence and in the Northwest where I live we seldom have lightning storms at all.   
   The train rolls to a stop in a city/town (I don't know which) and we sit here in the rain.  There was an announcement earlier that the total seating capacity has been sold out so by the time we reach Chicago every possible seat will be filled.  Good for Amtrak, but it means no extra room to spread out.   I hear we are in Fargo, ND (you can make your own impression of the way people here talk from the movie).  It must be a real inconvenience to have to board the train in the middle of the night in a rainstorm. And a great rainstorm it is out there.  The windows are being pelted with life giving liquid.  I hope it comes at a good time for the farmers.  The darkness is reclaiming the world once again as we continue the trek across the states.  So quickly the night captures the world, perhaps it's the rain or maybe it's just the way of the Midwest.  Small beacons of life found on a land of nothingness.  Perhaps in the daylight farms and evidence of population could be found here, I don't know. 

3:40 am Granite Falls (?) ND
   Seeing civilization reflects how one part of America looks so much like any other.  Fast food, chain stores, car lots, banks, everything is the same.  Names may change but the sameness is everywhere.  I have just finished watching the movie "True Grit" with John Wayne and Glen Cambell.  The vistas and countryside was carefully chosen to give the movie a unique look and feel.  America today lacks that special "oneness" near any center of population.  Perhaps in places where scenery and regional differences make a statement it could be seen a special gestalt, but as people seek comfort and familiar surroundings we lose the very nature of the land.  I seek places where people matter.  Where the land has not been tamed into submission.  A sight of things not seen at home.  Traveling at night may be the fastest way to cover the miles but at what cost.  To gain distance yet lose caricature is not traveling for the person who seeks the experiences of wonders and a view of that special "thing" yet to be seen. 
   My seat mate went exploring yesterday and somehow found another seat without being forced to sit next to a foolish old man.  While I miss the company, I enjoy the additional room to try and find a less uncomfortable sitting position.  I don't blame her, not everyone is like my Wife.  For 35 years She has endured being married to me.  Not always easy times for her but she has never complained.  I am blessed.

9:45 am my time 11:45 am local time, July 28, 2015
   Coming up to Red Wing MN.  Very green and lush vegetation everywhere.  I am surprised on this sojourn across America not to see much in the way of slum or derelict areas.  Last time I rode a train was in Brazil and the poverty of the region was very visible.  America has so much to be thankful for that even the poorest have a high standard of living compared to the rest of the world. 

Seeing stacks of railroad supplies is a very common sight.  Stacks of new ties, rails, bits and pieces, as well as pre-assembled sections of rails ready to be installed at a moments notice can be found evey few miles.  Folks that provide ties to the industry have a never ending demand.  So many workers waiting for the train to pass so they can resume work must cost a fortune to have standing by   .  Used ties piled and waiting collection sometimes look pretty good, nice enough to be welcome in any landscaping project, but many are at the end of their usefulness, beat and splintered, useful for things that do not require any strength or beauty.

12:35:09 PM ‎2:35 Local Time July ‎28, ‎2015
   Honey, I wanna move to Camp Douglas WI !!!
I just saw the most wonderful auto wrecking yard ever.  It is sitting in a grove of trees completely overgrown, and it is huge.  I wish I had known it was coming so I could have taken a picture.  Geeze, there are plenty of trees everywhere.  In Oregon you get all the trees you want as long as you want Douglas Fir.  I haven't seen a conifir tree in a long while.  We are rolling by the second correctional facility of the trip that I know of.  Nice area, green everywhere, well trimed lawns, solid looking homes.

I have just had a most wonderful and enlightening conservation with one of the Amish folk riding in my train car.  It started yesterday when I met Leon and Jacob, to older gentlemen (I choose the word carefully as it completely describes how they act, speak, and the friendliness they project), where I learned they are from Lancaster PA.  We chatted about traveling and experiences meeting people, but it wasn't until I met Leon's wife today that I was not too timid to speak with her about her culture.  She was so warm and willing to share, helping me to overcome my fears of intruding or being too nosy about their lifestyle.  I learned that within the Amish communities, much like in every land and culture there are differences about the beliefs and ways each chooses to follow traditions.  If for no other reason this conservation has made the entire trip worthwhile. (And not for the six point buck I just saw.)  Leon and his group are more conservative in dress than the other Amish folk in then next car ahead.  Wearing only black, grey, and white they look much like the traditional image I see portrayed in the media.  The next group however dresses in warmer colors and looks more "modern".  I wish I wasn't so shy or afraid to intrude as I would love to engage so many more people in conservation.  I don't have any problem meeting and talking with most everyone I see, but the fear of offending is not easy to overcome.

beenthere

Howdy
Great read, and appreciate your "capture" of the trip and people you talked with along the way.
Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Wow Howdy, I just accompanied you on your journey.  Thanks for a wonderful descriptive read.   8)

drobertson

Great ready Howdy,  we have often thought about a train ride out west, but pretty sure after my last trip to Chicago, I'm thinking I will find another way.  Visiting with folks and learning  a little from them is enjoyable for me too, but it does seem many folks like there space, so, I reckon they can just have it,  enjoy the rest of your journey.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Shotgun

Thanks for the narrative of your trip, Howdy.  We are looking forward to meeting you Saturday.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

tree-farmer

Howdy, you have a gift. Probably have a good novel in you if you applied your talent.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

We made a day trip to Ludington today.

This is an "ornamental" tree that we have seen several times that has red berries.  The leaves and bark indicate that it is a relative of the Honey Locust family??

Pat got her toes wet in Lake Michigan,

Red, White, & Blue Petunia hanging baskets on every pole.

And the curbs are lined with the same Petunias.

A close up.

And this is a shot of half of my lunch.  Roast beef with sauteed' onions and cheese, lettuce & tomato in thick slices of fresh baked yeast bread.  That was topped off with a bowl of Buttered Pecan Ice Cream.

Oh, and then we stopped off at Jay's on our way back to Harrison.   8)

WDH

MM,

Mountain ash.  Sorbus americana.  In the Rose family.  Fruit is a cluster of little apple like fruit (pomes). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Thanks Danny.  We encountered them last year and were told what they were, but we both forgot.  I may even forget again.   ::)

WDH

Jeff has one growing in his back yard.  We can visit it and admire its botanical features in a day or so  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Martha White Nelson

We were in Pontiac, Ill. having a great time on our way up to Michigan when all of a sudden, 2 deer jumped out of a corn field, smacked into the Equinox, and fell stunned on the road!  We then called for the wildlife people to come.  After explaining what happened, they loaded up the 2 deer on a low-boy, told us "thanks" and drove away!  By the way, the Equinox didn't have a scratch on it either!  Believe it, or not?  We have pictures!!!!

Most exciting thing Nancy and I did was while we were in Pontiac, we each bought Harley's!!! (GEEZER GLIDES) We plan on picking them up on our way back through!  Here's the picture!!!!

I once heard a saying that went something like this.  "If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen"!  That's so cool!
Martha

nmericle53

Our first stop was to Wheatland, Mo. We visited with a forum member and his wife and 2 children. Yukon Cornelius and his family are about down to earth as you can get. Got to see all his cedar projects that he makes. Beautiful! His son, Ashton, is following in his dad's footsteps. He has been making wooden spoons and selling them. What a great job he does! He donated one for a prize for PR.  8) Wonderful fellow FF friends. His son. Henry, was a typical boy! Going 90 miles an hour, playing in rocks with his dump truck. Had a great visit.

Nancy

Thank You Sponsors!