iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small 4 sided planer

Started by Quebecnewf, July 27, 2015, 12:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

That's a pretty cool machine.
Mine is similar but not the same.
I run it with a 50 horse Cat...from 1935.
Yours will weigh 3 or 4 tons.
Easiest moved with a tilt load wrecker.
This will eat a 1000 board feet of lumber so fast your eys will spin.
It will also eat you if you don't respect it.
I like it, save it if you can.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Quebecnewf

Quote from: snowshoveler on September 07, 2015, 03:34:42 PM
That's a pretty cool machine.
Mine is similar but not the same.
I run it with a 50 horse Cat...from 1935.
Yours will weigh 3 or 4 tons.
Easiest moved with a tilt load wrecker.
This will eat a 1000 board feet of lumber so fast your eys will spin.
It will also eat you if you don't respect it.
I like it, save it if you can.
Regards Chris
So a 50 horse will do the job. This one is hooked to a V8 gas that is way more hp than 50 I'm sure.?

Quebecnewf

snowshoveler

Well...
50 horsepower is not always the same as 50 horsepower.
My cat runs at 1500 rpm, thats full speed.
It also has a 2 speed gear box with low being 1000 rpm at the shaft.
The big part is it has near 300 foot lbs of torque.
Your gasser won't go there and live while running a planer.
Slow speed old school diesel, electric or steam are the only real options for any amount of use.
Just sayn.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

pineywoods

In another life, I had a job cleaning up around a similar machine. It was powered by a 6 cyl continental industrial engine running on natural gas. That one looks like it has the old square heads. Knives for them are scarce and expensive, and they are prone to throw knives/cutters through the roof...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Quebecnewf

Your right it is a square head model. I would imagine to change it to round head would be a big project. I know this planer produced lots of nice lumber. I always hear about throwing knives from these heads but never saw it happen. I know that some guys still run square head and swear by them.
Quebecnewf

snowshoveler

At 1 time square heads were all that there were.
If properly maintained they work well.
If these are okay I would not worry about them.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Quebecnewf

I find it funny that I could not find any name on it. Can anyone tell me the make or model from the pics. This would help me find more info and maybe paper on the machine
Quebecnewf

hackberry jake

I think they called that a "planer-matcher" back in the day. Check out Keith Ruckers videos on restoring one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2-Jhpt2hY
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Quebecnewf

I checked out some of his videos , pretty crafty guy. I am a member of OWWM site and will post pics there to try and find out more details of the machine.to tell the truth I am a little intimated by the size of this beast. This machine is located in an area where it is only accessible by small boat at high tide. No road. Moving it would be an issue. Would have to break it down into smaller sections . Move those then reassemble at my site. I will have to run a new cement base to sit it on and build a new shed to house it.
After that I have to figure out how to repair it , re power it and then learn how to run it.
I love the idea of making old iron run again, as I did with my small three sided planer but this is a whole new level.
I have made a deal with myself if I can get it for less than 500.00 , I will give it a go , if not I walk away.

Snow shoveler I want to see pics of your set up and details of the rebuild

Quebecnewf

slider

I'm also enjoying this thred Quebecnufe.I wish Farley Mowat was still around ,maybe he could do a cameo in one of your pictures.Nice country up there.al
al glenn

5quarter

What an adventure! you need to change the title of your thread to, "Gigantic 4 sided planer that needs its own zip code".  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Quebecnewf

GIgantic is the problem with this thing. I am sure it is a very good planer but to get it moved to my location will be a BIG challenge.
The unit sits at the mouth of the Petit Mecatina River (Google Earth it) and I need to move it ,if I bought it to my mill location which sits on a small island approx 6 miles away.

The mouth of the river is too shallow to allow any large boat to enter , so that's out .

If you look in the background of this pic you can see two small sheds the one on the left houses the planer. This pic was taken at high tide so there looks like lots of water but it is not so.

Only way to move it in the summer is to break it down into smaller sections and move it bit by bit with my boat.

Moving it in winter would require perfect driving conditions and a few sleds and snowmobiles hooked together. Could be a bit dangerous because you will be on sea ice hitched to a 3 to 4 thousand lb load.

ICE ROAD SNOWMOBILERS I can see a new TV show in my future. Sadly I think there will be only one show as all the drivers were lost through the ice in the first epsoide .  The upside is we would Probably get good ratings on that first show though.

Quebecnewf

Satamax

Quebecnewf, my opinion on the subject, pay no more than scrap iron for this beast. I have old ww machinery and all. I've played with such old machines, and usualy are a chore to deal with. Best in euroland, for me are very late 50's to late 70's. Any newer, they lack the weight. Older, they have the weight, but not the precision and ease of use.

For comparison, over here you can buy a nice roofing 4 sided planer, with the same arangement of arbors as you showed for 3000 to 6000 euros. But it's all protected, and has proper dust extraction.  Check the brands Mida, or Kupfermühle

And a 4 sided, 5 or 6 arbors joinery 4 sided planer moulder can be had as low as 600 euros. Usual range for a machine which is notat the latest norms is around 1500/2500.

Hope this can be of some help.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

snowshoveler

The scrap metal price is a good way to go about it.
However you need to make it clear to the owner that you are not going to scrap it.
You want to save it and make it a part of your history.
I got my planer this way for free.
Also got my D6 Caterpillar with new undercarriage the same way.
Once word gets around that your not a scrapper bandit a lot of old iron may become available to you.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

hackberry jake

Quote from: Satamax on September 10, 2015, 06:41:53 AM
Quebecnewf, my opinion on the subject, pay no more than scrap iron for this beast. I have old ww machinery and all. I've played with such old machines, and usualy are a chore to deal with. Best in euroland, for me are very late 50's to late 70's. Any newer, they lack the weight. Older, they have the weight, but not the precision and ease of use.

I agree with the above years. I am fond of the 50s-70s machines as well.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Quebecnewf

Still waiting to contact the owner. Not sure of which way to go on this. I have a possibility to maybe buy a old 24" single sided planer. I am thinking with that unit and my small 3 sided planer set up side by side I could manage.

I would throw all my 2X material through the single sided planer to make sure I have all same thickness. Then pass it through the  small  three sided planer and I would be good to go. By having all the material planed the same thickness by the single sided planer . The three sided one would be just brushing the opposite side and the side cutters would be doing most of the cutting so not much strain on the planer.

I know it would be a lot slower but I don,t do a big volume and this would be a lot easier to set up ,less power required and less heavy iron to move and figure out how to run.

I planed up a bunch of firing strips S1S yesterday , 3" 4" and 5" wide and she really chewed through it. So that has got me thinking of maybe going this other way

Here we are feeding the planer with the old B&S pounding away

Quebecnewf

beenthere

The two together sound like a real good combo. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

I think that the extra time you spend getting the big iron home and running will save you a lot more time in the long run. If you spend all day feeding lumber through 2 different planers, you could probably get the same amount of work done with the bigger planer and be done before lunch. I would get the big iron. Perhaps you can come to some arrangement with the owner to trade some future work for the planer; maybe some lumber or a couple planning jobs.
   I wouldn't worry about quality...new bearings can be poured, knives can be repaired or replaced etc...Those old machines can put out a lot of work with a high degree of accuracy if set up and running properly. Also, there are several members here who are experts in repairing and setting up this kind of old machinery. I have no doubt that they would gladly take you through each step.
   Great life you're living, by the way.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hackberry jake

The first operation should probably be a jointer. I believe in most four sides machines, the first head is the lower jointing head. It makes all other operations easier because you give the lumber a flat face to reference off of.

Quebecnewf

I know that the big planer is the way to go but I am not sure if I can make it run. I have the problem of just moving it around . My workshop is set up for woodworking and it is not setup to handle this type of machine work. That being said I would love the challenge of bringing this baby back to life.
I look at a couple of threads over on the OWWM forum and there is lots of expertise to be had on line.

Going moose hunting for 10 days tomorrow so lots of time to set and ponder. Wish me luck in both endeavours.

Quebecnewf

snowshoveler

As we understand it ...the big azz planer is in the middle of nowhere. Only thing we need to know is how they got it there way back when.
It might have been there 20 years or it might have been there 50 years. Somehow it was put there and I would say it arrived in 1 piece.
Drag it out and put it on a log raft and get it home. We have seen what you go through to get your logs home to your mill. This should be no problem for you.
Of course we want to see pics of the journey.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Kbeitz

Thats a great idea. If the motor is removed it wont hurt to get it wet.
Hook it to a large tank of air and float it home.
Blow it dry when you get it home.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 18, 2015, 08:31:44 PM
Thats a great idea. If the motor is removed it wont hurt to get it wet.
Hook it to a large tank of air and float it home.
Blow it dry when you get it home.

I believe the water in question is either seawater or at least "brackish" and shudder to think of the possible problems caused by getting it wet on the way home...

Herb

Kbeitz

You need both time and water to do any damage.
The little time it would be wet even with salt water would never do any damage.
Just hoes it off with fresh water when you hoist it out of the drink.
Even pressure wash it. Air blow it dry and take a hair dryer to it.
I have many tools that I've had for years with no problem that came from flood waters.
Even electric motors that was under water for days. Just wash and dry.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

Not sure how they got it there back in the day. Maybe in sections. In the water is not an option . Water is only as deep as the planer is high, and that's at high tide.

How many sections could you break this down into I wonder.

Going to the area next weekend maybe so will study The machine some more. More details to follow

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!