iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding my shaving horse

Started by Brad_bb, July 27, 2015, 01:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

My original horse (last picture) had an old brittle red pine base.  I sat down one day and it split.  So I built a new Walnut base from 2 layer of 5/4 boards.  Today I laminated 4 blanks for the legs.  My old oak ones were kinda rough looking to go with the new fancy base.  I salvaged the workshelf, head and pedal mechanism.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

yukon cornelius

Awesome! Are you going to turn the legs?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Brad_bb

I don't have a lathe.  I was thinking of starting on the table saw to figure out how to cut them into a tapered octagon and then draw knife them?  I wish I knew somebody with a lathe.  it would be a lot easier.

Don_Papenburg

Stop by next week , I think you remember how to get here.  I'll pull mine out or run a cord over to it .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

johnnyllama

Brad,
  Nice job! I made mine with a live edged piece of ash for the seat, and used peeled ash branches for the legs with the ends draw-knifed down to fit into the holes, and wedged in place. No lathe required!

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brad_bb

Nice Johnnyllama!  My original version was rustic like yours and I like that style.  I got a notion to do this surfboard theme though.  I'm going to build up a polished lacquer finish on the base (except where you sit) so the legs are going to be a bit fancier too. 

I need a little help fellas.  On my original design, I had two problems.  The legs had too much splay, the base was too brittle and prone to splitting, and my butt is too heavy.  So as I went to sit on the horse on smooth concrete of the shop, there was little friction on the bottom of the legs making them want to splay even more.  I am going to reduce the splay.  My new base if far far stronger.  But I was thinking about tying the two back legs together somehow so that they cannot splay.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.  On one hand with some flex in the legs, it allows the hose to sit with all four legs touching.  if you had fixed legs, one leg would never touch.  I could put a small groove in the bottom third of the turned legs and some how use a strap and a turnbuckle?  This might allow for some adjustment without compromising the integrity of the legs.  If I drilled and added a solid wood dowel between them like on a chair, I might have trouble getting the legs into the splayed base holes. 

Any thoughts?  Do the turnbuckle with straps?  Do nothing?

Jim_Rogers

When I worked at the chair company back in the 70's we used 82° for the splay angle on the bar stools we made. This angle is good for strength and support. Not too much but just enough splay.
If you go with a dowel between the legs you put that into each leg first then put both legs into the seat. The legs/dowel will flex enough to allow the tenons on the end of the legs to slide into the angled hole.
The problem with a dowel style stretcher is that the glue has to be right to hold it into the leg.
That can be the weak point over time.
If you drilled a through hole in the leg you could make the dowel tenon long enough to go through the leg and put a wedge a cut in the end of the dowel to make it flair out to prevent it from pulling out.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don_Papenburg

You could put a single or close spaced double leg in the front . I made mine just the opposite and it is a bit tippy .  I have double legs in front with a wide foot and close spaced double legs under the seat.

Brad_bb

Thanks for your turning offer Don.  I may have someone closer, and I hate to trouble you.  You've already helped me before and I know you have a lot of projects like me.  I have to continually remind myself to not offer once in awhile.  I end up helping so much I can't seem to keep up.

Jim, I forgot to mention that I want to be able to take the legs on and off for portability.  So I cannot glue a stretcher dowel, Hence why I was trying to think of a removable cable or bracket type deal that can be tightened.

Jim_Rogers

I loaned my shaving horse out to a group that was recreating a "settlement" house from 1639 in Ipswich, MA.
When it came back it only had three of the four legs with it. They lost one, and didn't know where it was.
So, since then I just set it up on two of my pony saw horses. Works for me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom L

Mine is sitting on two 5 gallon paint buckets, works like a charm for my fat butt.

yours is looking good, how about just putting another post in the center between the two leg posts
make it so it just hits the floor, will prevent the other two legs from spreading out, carry most of the weight

Don_Papenburg

Not a problem , offer is good if you can't find anyone closer .  You also helped me out big time  that more than repaid for what I did.

Klicker

This is a shot  of one of my bow benches. I like this model the best.
2006 LT 40 HD

Brad_bb

Yes that does look like a smart design Klicker.  She's a cute model too.

To Jim and Tom, The bottom of my horse needs to be 20 inches off the ground for the foot pedal to work correctly and be comfortable.  Cribbing ponies are too short.  They work if you sack 2 additional 2x's on them.  No, I want the legs.  I finished the blanks for them.  A local turner said he's going to pick them up this weekend and turn them for me.  He's also going to turn and fit this antique handle onto my Swan slick.

Klicker

She was one of my students in a bow making class. A couple of things about the bench is that it is ajustable in how big a stick it will hold and the seat moves to ajust the length  of your legs.
2006 LT 40 HD

Brad_bb

Well I finally finished rebuilding my shaving horse.    I had to as I have about 500 pegs I need to taper.  The finished turned laminated Walnut and Maple legs.  Seat is two 3/4" Walnut boards glued up.  I am going to add a bunge cord underneath today to return the head. 

Czech_Made

rasman57

Be proud of that effort!  You did good.  Very appealing and functional piece.

21incher

Wow that came out great, and looks like it will be comfortable to use. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 27, 2015, 10:46:49 AM
I don't have a lathe.  I was thinking of starting on the table saw to figure out how to cut them into a tapered octagon and then draw knife them?  I wish I knew somebody with a lathe.  it would be a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5n7SpzGLE
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brad_bb

I have seen Izzy Swan's videos.  He's a maniac...in a good way.  I paid a local turner to turn the legs for me.  Too much on my plate to take the time to make the jig.  I'm a little nervous about turning.  I've done enough metal buffing and had pieces ripped out of my hands when caught by the buffing wheel... 

Czech_Made

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 18, 2016, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: Brad_bb on July 27, 2015, 10:46:49 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5n7SpzGLE

Thank You Sponsors!