iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just goes to show ya

Started by woodmills1, September 18, 2004, 03:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I was at one of my better handyman customers today.  He is a nice guy and smart enough, but as they say lacks common sense.  I finished up a few jobs from the day before and then installed and sanded the trim and molding around a nice bookshelf/room divider I made for him.

He drags out a sheet of luan and says time to put the new sides on those cabinets.  It was already 4:30 so I said do you have a small Job as it is lovely Kathys birthday tomorrow and I want to get home early.

That stupid kitchen window won't close he says.  I bet you will have to rip it out I a\have always hated it.  I get the ladder and take a look at a small but conventional double crank out window.  No obvious warps or impediments.

So I say to him standing on the other side in the kitchen.

WHY DONT YOU FLIP THE LOCK THE OTHER WAY AND TRY IT!   VOILOIA!  Wait till I bill for that one.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom_Averwater

Some times ya wonder how some people make thru the day. :D :D
He who dies with the most toys wins .

oldsaw

My brother-in-law (also married in) is the only other.  Sometimes I tell my wife the only reason she married me is to fix broken things for the family.  Billy gets called in for larger construction jobs (his career), and I get the more mundane everyday things.  But he lives 80 miles away, while I live less than 1.

I guess they needed someone with a faster "turn around" time.
 :D

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

CHARLIE

QuoteSome times ya wonder how some people make thru the day. :D :D

Sometimes I wonder how some people make it through life. I'd hire a person with good common sense before I'd hire someone that just had a high IQ and no common sense. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodmills1

but can you teach someone common sense??
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

I think common sense is a combination of logic, responsibility, awareness, humility and ramification of action. It has as much to do with "not doing" as it does with "doing".

In that sense, it can be taught.  

Like most education, the student must be receptive.The biggest failing leading to the lack of common sense is "self-importance".

How's that for an un-educated answer? :D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

HA  :D

Thats my wife....  if I die she'll have to marry a handyman... she can't even set her own alarm clock......

Ofcourse if I die she'll be able to afford to pay the handyman and marry the chip-n-dale dancer......  hmmmmm

beter not tell her that huh...

VA-Sawyer

Tom,
I think you hit that one on the head.  ;D   Some of the worst ones are "experts" but only on the theory level. They never have to suffer the ramifacations of their mistakes. Others do the suffering and the "expert" keeps coming up with new theories.  
My friend Dusty used to say " Higher education was learning more and more about less and less till you knew everything about nothing."   :D

If I know nothing about everything...... should I run for President ?  

VA-Sawyer

J_T

Va Sawyer Put me down for three votes and one hanging chad ??? Ain't chads a fish ???
Jim Holloway

MemphisLogger

Va-Sawyer,

Way I heard it was . . .

BS = Male cow excrement
MS = More of the same
PhD = Pile it higher and deeper

:D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

crtreedude

My partner here in Costa Rica I think made it to six grade, but knows how to do EVERYTHING around a farm, including construction. He often feels bad about his lack of education.

After he said it once, I told him, don't feel bad, all I have is 12th grade, and then he really started worrying!  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jim_Wahl

There was something in the news not too long ago about a
study which found that incompetent people don't even know
that they are incompetent, which has a lot to do with why
they are incompetent.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

crtreedude

So, it is possible that I truly am incompetent? I have always thought I was competent, but maybe I am just fooling myself.  :-/

So, do competent people think they are incompetent? Or, perhaps the researcher himself is incompetent, and really incompetent people become researchers?

Well, I don't know what to do except keep going out getting things done.  :D

Kirk_Allen

I only know one thing about common sense..............

ITS NOT SO COMMON  ;D

We park on the DRIVEway
We drive on the PARKway

We use the phrase COMMONsense but we all know there is nothing COMMON about it ;D  

In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as common sense.  If there was there would be a book on it ;D

Woodcarver

The more some people know, the less they seem to be able to apply it.  When I was growing up we had a neighbor who farmed and taught agriculture at the local high school.  By all accounts he was an exceptionally good ag instructor.

Most years his field corn was knee high around August 4th and never got much taller.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ron Wenrich

I always figured that common sense was applied intelligence.  Education isn't really a factor, but it helps.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom_Averwater

PhD = Pile it higher and deeper --Thats my wife, she has one.I have one too.Mine is a different kind of  P.H.D. -- Post Hole Digger.  8)  Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

CHARLIE

I always figured common sense was the ability to figure things out without using a formula.  Problem solving takes common sense.

My father-in-law only had an 8th grade education, but when he needed a license to do something, he got the books and studied. He started out as a plumber and ended up owning a Mechanical Corporation and part of an Electrical Corporation. Then he put them on hold, bought a 53 foot fishing boat and went swordfish fishing for quite a few years. I'd say he was successful.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Roxie

Saying that incompetent people don't know that they're incompetent, is what my Granpa used to call "Blissful Ignorance".   :D
Those are the fortunate people of the earth.....they believe they are great, and therefore they are!  
Unfortunately, I was cursed with a hearty dose of common sense and I know for certain that I ain't all that.   :D
Say when

Cedarman

It has been said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. In the past I have hit my thumb while driving a nail. Common sense says that if you drive enough nails you will hit your thumb again. If I keep pounding nails and hitting my thumb, am I insane or just clumsy.
Common sense is the ability to predict the future based on the past.  If we don't study history we are bound to repeat the mistakes.  Is lack of common sense bad memory?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

crtreedude

I would think that common sense requires that you believe in cause and effect.

I think also it requires that you DON'T think you are an exception, but that if bad things happen to people who do something, it will happen to you too. I know that sound simple, but of course, how many teenagers don't get it. (Including ourselves at that age.)

woodmills1

couple of things come to mind.  I have always had some common sense.   I dont think I had much as a teenager, but looking back I had more than many of my friends.  Like the one who was selling his ford and said I want $450 when the buyer offered $500.  If common sense is applied intelligence then we must get smarter as we age or is it experience?

Thank You Sponsors!