iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440C Value

Started by tacks Y, July 26, 2015, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Looking at a 440C coming up for sale at an auction. Tires 50 percent, has not run for years 10-20? No oil in engine, they added some hoping to start an it ran out the bottom. Rusted out oil pan? Broken rod punched a hole? I did not see any cracks on the side of the block. Overall not bad shape, blade has some welded cracks. Rest of machine looks ok. I have been working on a 440A hope to fire up this week but this C is interesting. Owner died last winter so no good info. I have to think engine is junk and not sure what else ran this same engine. So value???? Thanks Tom

mad murdock

Whatever its weight is in scrap plus whatever you can see that is not broke.  Without engine running, hard to know if the trans or running gear is ok or not. I would not bid much on it if I were going to think of buying it. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

grassfed

QuoteNo oil in engine, they added some hoping to start an it ran out the bottom.

Ok that is just plain weird. It is hard to imagine the oil pan rusting out on a skidder unless it was working in salt water. Usually they are covered with oil inside and out. If oil ran out when they added it the machine must either have a gigantic crack in the block so the oil never made it into the oil pan or maybe the drain plug is out. It sounds stupid but if they did not take off the skid plate it could be possible. Does the engine rotate?

The thing about machines like skidders is you can tell how many hours they have run by looking at all of the various: pivot points, levers, places where the hands and feet of the operator contact the machine, wear on the skid pans and lower axle cases etc... If it looks like it is a fairly low hour machine it may be worth a risk for parts. If I was looking at that machine and I liked what I saw I might risk up to 8k even assuming that the engine is toast. There are a lot of potentially valuable used parts in the trans, rear ends, winch, steering and hydraulics. People charge 4-500 for things like ring, gears, axle shafts. Syncro range gear shafts(with good gears., go for more than 1k used     
Mike

Maine logger88

Tacks where are you located? I know of a 440C with a similar scenario a ways from me. The oil running out is weird for sure
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Stang51D

My neighbor bought a little dozer once,  the oil pan rusted out not long after he got it. Only time I have ever seen it, but I have seen it.

tacks Y

I am in NW PA. I pulled the dip stick on the tranny also and it was dry. Makes me think some one pulled the drain plugs. I did not try to rotate engine, i did not think about it until I left. Sale is this Sat. Machine looks low hours compared to my A, all the pedals show little or no wear. My A the pedals are smooth. I think I have a line on another engine. Just looking for my own use, so I really don't need but do like the looks. There is a old Jack here also that has sunk into the yard. I tried to buy 20 years ago, He never said he had a JD here also. The auctioner  is the one who said they put oil into it. I have an A that is about together and a 440 for parts, this sale listed a 440 so was surprised to see a C. Thanks All. Tom

larry1

To me " its a pig in a poke "  anything is salvagable depending on how much you want to spend . You may find them engines on wood processers , water pumps , gen sets ,  and some farm tractors .  Almost sounds like my 230 D  project  that I didn't think there was so much work until I got into it .

Larry --ont.

Maine logger88

Ok not the same one then but i looked at one 7 years ago with real good tires that hadn't been worked for 15 years.

tacks Y

Final value $7000.00 and 300.00 to truck home. Sale was Sat and had it in driveway by 5pm. Down side I think need to find a motor. Froze up and exhaust manifold cracked from water, so it must have mad in father in.

PaYoungBuck

I wondered who bought this machine I had a guy there bidding for me. Did you find any more issues? I kinda figured the motor was gonna be bad but had hoped for the best. Good luck keep the rebuild posted on here. Are you from the area where the sale was? I'm only about 20 minutes away on the other side of titusville.

Nub121

i could be wrong but i thought the 440c had an engine like a 4045 or some number like that but anyways 444 deere inloaders had the same engine n so did some john deere agriculture tractors. it is a very easy engine to find. That machine running and moving is worth 13k in bad shape.
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

Maine logger88

They originally had a 4-276 which is almost identicle to a 4045 just an older version. And a lot of machines were repowered with the 4045. They are a very common engine like you say used in loaders ag equipment the 490E and 590D excavators had them aswell

BargeMonkey

4-276 is a good engine, any of the 200 series where good. I hate to say it but unless the rubber was real good, tin straight and didn't seem a wreck I would be scared of even spending 7000, knowing the engine was toast and transmission dry. Good luck but man the parts are expensive, an employee of ours has a 440C and I've seen him basically rebuild it. If you need copy of something from a manual let me know, I've got all the C-Dseries 440 books, and winch manuals.

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 13, 2015, 09:11:41 PM
4-276 is a good engine, any of the 200 series where good. I hate to say it but unless the rubber was real good, tin straight and didn't seem a wreck I would be scared of even spending 7000, knowing the engine was toast and transmission dry. Good luck but man the parts are expensive, an employee of ours has a 440C and I've seen him basically rebuild it. If you need copy of something from a manual let me know, I've got all the C-Dseries 440 books, and winch manuals.
where have you been? i was being to think you fell overboard

tacks Y

Payoungbuck, Yes I am close about 30 minutes. Yes more problems, water damage in engine and trans. Still not sure how water got in trans. Hope to strip in a couple months, for now covered up. May be looking for trans and engine. Machine shows 4400 hrs and may be right, not much wear on pedals. Machine looks tight and straight. Wife not happy with trans problems, but she is warming to the idea. Tom

Nub121

tacks y did you ever start on the machine? i was just curious what you ended up doing with it.
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

tacks Y

No I have not worked on it. I put a couple ads for sale out. Showed it once, realized how nice it is. Still have and need to look for manuals for it. I have a manual for a 440D if someone wants to trade. Hope to pull engine and trans this winter. Thanks Tom

furltech

i have the c manual i just downloaded if you pm me your email i will send it to you

CP1991

I know a guy who has a mini John Deere skidder graveyard. He's got a 440c think the motor is bad but tranny is good. The last guy I worked with before going on my own had a 440a standard rig we went n looked at the 440c it had a auto. If ur interested reply to me and ill get y'all together.  Just my opinion no offense intended but $7000 for a skidder that needs motor n tranny seems a little high I've got two running Clark s kidders for less than that. Are John Deere s kidders worth that much more I don't know much about them?
Clark 666b Clark 662 Chevy c60 prentce g husky 390's

tacks Y

The thought was the tranny was good. What do they say about a fool and his money? The good the is its all gone (the money) so no more skidders. 2 and 1/2 is enough. Mine has the standard trans so that will not help.  Thanks Tom

Ohio_Bill

I dont know anything about JD skidders ,but i have had water get into a lot of transmissions from the shifter boot. I will play the optomist and say since it has sit for so long maybe it had not ran with water in it and you just need to clean it out and put a new boot on .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Nub121

I would definitely be interested in it if you were close to Illinois!
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!