Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

Just came from the lumber yard a little while ago.  Happened to notice they were selling 100' rolls of it for $19.95.  Didn't pay any attention to how high or the material used.

I've sawed the stakes for it in the past.  Not to much different from sawing grade or survey stakes.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Got the sizes of stakes and the length. Looking for the fencing material. What is the best marketing device???  Got prices for fencing online from Gemplers and such. We might be able to compete directly to the Contractor ??? What's the best way to sharpen the ends???

Going to be sawing a LOT of Red Oak and looking for a market. Going to offer it for trailer deck. Any other uses???  I know it isn't the best for trailer deck, but, this is Florida. We don't GET a lot of Oak here. ;D   Most makers use Pine.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

There's lots of those Aust. Pines laying around Harold.  

Figured out how to cut it yet??   Should make fine trailer deck'n.

Picked up a clearing job for a DR. today... lots of Aus. Pines and Cedars...  most are small though.  Going to save a few of the bigger ones and maybe pick up a Logosol...see what I can do with them.

Fla._Deadheader

I KNOW the swingers will saw them. I believe we can saw them with a bandmill. We were SOOOOO green when we first started sawing. Learned a LOT and learned how to set up the mill. We saw Live Oak, so, Aus. Pine should be OK.  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

That could be a good thing for ya then... I remember you telling me you've got a trailer company that wanted the oak decking.

There is lots of them aus pines still laying around.  There are some big ones that I've been passing everyday on the way to work. Gonna have to stop one day and see if they'd like me to take care of them.... they are very heavy and useless to boot ;D

Wanna hear a sickening story..... I stopped at TSC to pick up some goodies this afternoon and grabbed the last file they had to sharpen my chainsaw.  They guy ibo me in line made a comment about it and I told him the palm tree dull'n the blade story...  he was from NC and was down helping some relatives clean the roof of Pecan tree's.... said noone wanted the 5 tree's ( about 40 years old ) so he just cut them in little pieces and put them out for the trash...     :o

Fla._Deadheader

If we ever give up the diving gig, we may contact the county to see if we can set up an Urban Tree-Cycle thing.  ::) ::)

First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

deadheader, I would never put red oak on the trailer. Your southern yellow pine would be my choice before red oak.  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Ya sure wooden think so, wood ya ???  The people ask for Oak, and, all we have is Water Oak that grows somewhat straight. If ya paint it with drain oil, it will last a few years.

Most of the SYP has very little heart. It really doesn't last all that long, unless it's pressure treated.  This second growth SYP is OK for construction lumber.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

I would say the pine will out last the red oak, at least our Northern Red oak. What is the red oak you are sawing?

Fla._Deadheader

The locals call it Water Oak. It grows on relatively dry land ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

It probably has better durability then our Red Oak I would imagine.

Fla._Deadheader

It does seem a little harder than the AR Red Oak, as far as I can remember. Not nearly as pretty as Ar Red Oak though.

Live Oak makes the best decking, but, I druther saw concrete poles than Live Oak. That stuff is the heaviest wood I ever handled. ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Jeff, when ya use that pointin tool thingy, is there some kind of clamp that holds the stake when ya jab it into the tool ??? What keeps it from catching and skinnin yer hands ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Water Oak will grow in the water too... but the water wont be there long..... sucks it all up.  Ranchers cut them down if one pops up around their ponds. Kinda like willows.

I haven't seen a downed live oak yet.. not even a broken limb of any size...  Frances took out alot of water oaks though...  guess all that weight is for a reason huh...

Fla._Deadheader

Water Oak in Ar usually is in low areas where there is wetness most of the time.  

It was used for shingles and boards for roofing, back in the old days. Hand split real easy. ???  There are still old houses with the hand split shingles and boards on the roof, out there, in Ar. That was old growth wood, though.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ellmoe

My understanding about the name for water oak has nothing to do with where it grows. Instead it has to do with all the water inside the tree. If you cut a trailer load and let it sit, you can fill 5 gallon buckets with the water that drains out. I saw this oak for decking and it seems to last several years, but it sure gets ugly in a hurry. The pine seems to last 4 or 5 years if only rubber tired equipment is hauled on it. Oak will hold up much better if tracked equipment is hauled on it.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the forum ellmoe. Where bouts you located??? What kinda mill ya got???
   First, it is ridiculed;

ellmoe

Hello Fla. D., I am in "God's Country" (that's what the natives call it!), Bushnell, Fla., off of I-75 and halfway between Ocala and Tampa. Maybe it is better that I say I am just down the road from Wahoo, Fla., everyone should know where that is!!!
   I've got a couple of mills. Currently I am running two WM Super 40's, electric, and I have a complete circle mill, (Frick "Timber tiger" with all the support equipment) that has been sitting idle for the last 5 years. Used to run 60mbf of cypress per week, make fence and other products. But thanks to the "guvment" buying all the good swamps, now I run a much smaller crew. We have a couple of small kilns and a Weining planer, and stay busy sawing whatever comes in the gate. Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

Ellmoe, got any market for the old growth "Sinker" Cypress???  That's the stuff my son and I get from the river.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ellmoe

When I started sawing about 15 years ago we logged with "go-tracts" and would find "deadheads" buried in the muck. We would bring them to the mill and saw them as "regular' lumber and hoped no one complained that they weren't from green wood.  :) Now I am afraid to ask the price for the logs! I have a load of axe-cut cypress on my yard now. I believe they were used to "float" railroad tracks out in the swamp as they have notches for the tracts in them and are not very big. I need to find a market for these logs and may stir up some demand for your type of logs. You can e-mail me at ellmoe@sum.net with specs, prices, etc. By the way, I got my sawmilling started near you on the "Morman" (Deseret) Ranch, 300,000 acres. They had 25,000 acres of cypress and I started a sawmill to get some value out of that land. Do you know where that is? Mark

Fla._Deadheader

Not familiar with the Mormon property. We saw the logs at our camp. We can supply 1X, 2X, 4X, beams, whatever the need. We haven't found the REAL big logs , yet. We get stuff to 3' dia., up to 40' long. We don't have a kiln, yet. Need to get one built. We get a lot of Pecky logs, also.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ellmoe

I assume your camp is in or near the Ocala Forest. I logged the area at the Oklawaha and St. John's River, known as the Caravelle Ranch. The Water Mgmt. District bought the property to run us off. This swamp had been logged 3-4 times since the 1800's and we were cutting cypress with 12' tops, tree length and "gun-barrel" straight. We left 10-12 million bf when the state bought the tract. That swamp had been logged by rail and boat, with the timber sent up to Palatka. Do you pull logs from that area? With the size of the "second-growth" timber and the "pecky' tops they left behind, I'm sure they sent some whoppers north to the mill (Wilson Cypress-I believe).
  Today's my "Sunday", but it's time to go to the mill and set up the planer for tomarrow. By the way, we do dry for other people. The largest kiln will take 4-5000 bf, depending on lengths , mostly.
Mark

Fla._Deadheader

That's exactly where we are working, Caravelle Ranch. We go from the Dam to the St.John's and from lake Gearge to Dunns Creek.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Ellmoe.....  Bushnell??   My mom just bought a place in Center Hill... isn't that just down the road from bushnell??  Very nice area....  just spent a week there last month.. Wish I'd known you were there..  would love to take a look at your operation...  

Thank You Sponsors!