iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flea Market Find

Started by lowpolyjoe, July 26, 2015, 08:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Wife and I visit a large flea market on the weekends.  I'm always on the lookout for hand tools.   There's usually a lot of hand planes but they're all in terrible condition.  This one (baileys #5) was in pretty good shape.  I already have a similar plane but I couldn't resist.  Picked up these wooden clamps as part of the deal.  I've never used these types of clamps before, are there any cool tricks to get the most out of them?

A bit of rust on one side:

A little bit of a mess on the sole:

lowpolyjoe

I started on reconditioning yesterday.  I sanded most of the rust off the body.

I tried to get some adhesive crud off the wooden parts with some solvent (I think I used mineral spirits?) but it wouldn't come off.  Then I started sanding the tote - which was a  bad idea.   I didn't realize the wood was stained... so I took off the crud and the finish and the stain :D.  Now I'm committed to sanding them down to bare wood.  I'm used to seeing virtually every hand plane have a dark wood colored tote.  Would it look funny if I don't stain and just shellac the light colored wood?  I don't often use stain and I'm not sure what (if anything) I have laying around.

Forgot to take a pic yesterday

yukon cornelius

those are some good finds. I think the light wood would look great.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

redbeard

The wooden Jorgenson clamps are very useful endless uses they can do. You can really apply some major clampling pressure with those.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

The wood hand screw clamps are made by several mfg's. Brink, Dubuque, Irwin, as well as Jorgensen, and others.

They have been around for a long time and are very handy clamps for a variety of uses.

As said, they can put a mean bite on two pieces of wood. They come in a variety of sizes, I believe by how wide open the will go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Great finds. I use my wooden clamps all the time. They work great for aligning edge glued boards if you put a piece of wax paper under the jaws. I also keep one near my drill press to keep small parts under control while drilling. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks guys.

I like the tip about using the wooden clamps to align edge glue-ups.    That's always a pain with my F clamps.

Sanding the handle/knob has become a marathon.  Got most of the stain off the handle, but no matter how much I sand the knob, half of it retains some color.   You think that's due to a change in grain direction?   I think for my refinishing I'm gonna have to apply some stain to hide the remaining pigment after all. 

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

lowpolyjoe

Sharpened up the iron and contact point on the chip breaker

Gave up on the effort to get the stain off the knob.  I tried some stain on the underside of the handle but didn't like the way it looked so I just threw on some Tung Oil finish on both and gave up on having consistent color.   

Ready for reassembly

Turns out all the sanding was a bad idea.  The hardware sticks up kind of far above the knob now - don't think it was like that originally.  At some point maybe i'll buy a new knob or find an old throw-away plane at the flea market and transfer the knob over.  If I ever get a lathe I guess I could turn one, but that's unlikely

All assembled

I've gotten some rust on a few of my other planes in the past after sitting unused in my garage for a while..  I read some oil on the metal parts is a good idea.  I wiped down the blade and chip breaker with some mineral oil I had on hand.  Not sure what the oil of choice is for this purpose.   Waxed up the sole a bit and gave it a shot.  Worked pretty good by my novice standards. 

I have another plane that is similar to this one, but this one seems much nicer to use.  The adjustment knob on the other plane is sort of one-directional... it only pushes the blade in one direction.  In order to slide the blade in the other direction I generally have to unlatch the holder and then perform adjustment.  Overall I'm happy with my flea market find  8)   

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

lowpolyjoe,
A good job on getting that plane refreshed. The key now is the sharpening and setting the blade. It looks like you have a handle on that as well. Keep up the good work. When you can take a full width shaving that you can read a newspaper thru, you will have learned all the tricks of the trade. Ain't this fun???    8) 8) ;D ;D Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks guys.

My sharpening skills could use some work.  I thought a honing guide would help a lot, but I bought one and found it very cumbersome to use so I returned to free-hand.

I got some fairly thin shavings out of this setup, although the picture might not give that impression. 

One of these days I'll build a real workbench and get some good practice of all my hand tool skills  ;D

ScottInCabot

I'm betting someone put 'India ink' on those handles....if there was that much penetration.

Fine job on the restore!  Mine needs a lot of help....picked up a #6 that is tired.  Sanded the bottom and got it scary sharp, but it's ugly.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

lowpolyjoe

I can't seem to go to the flea market without buying something  :D

Been on the lookout for a Stanley #7, but found this #6 and couldn't pass it up.  Needs some work but it's in pretty good shape.

After a little more walking around I stumbled onto this incredibly heavy duty vise.   Must weight 30 or 40 pounds.  Carrying it to the car was no fun.  I'm not sure what i'll do with it, but the guy only wanted $15 so I grabbed it.  Currently building a workbench which will have a leg vise.  Was planning to get a big twin screw setup as an end vise but maybe i'll try to use this as an end vise instead.  Wish the chop was a little bigger but this thing seems very industrial.

WDH

That is a nice vise.  New ones like that are very expensive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Great finds. I have a vice similar to that one with the quick release screw and it is indestructible. You are building qiute the collection. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

As said, nice find on the woodworker's vice. But put it on the front of your bench, not on the end... IMO

The stop that slides up will match up with flip-up stops in your bench top for holding wide panels.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

Picked some of the wood clamps from my father in law and brother in law estates.  One cannot have too many clamps.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

lowpolyjoe

Just about ready to use the vise so I started the rehab

Came apart (to some extent) pretty easy by just removing a cotter pin

After some time with a wire cup on a grinding wheel :

I'm wondering if I should paint it (not the screw, obviously).

yukon cornelius

awesome! I had to show my son. he is crazy about the old tools. I like them but he is a hand tool guru. he wants to refurb old tools for a living. I think he would never sell one as he adopts them and can never let them go.

Kbeitz

I just put two like that on my mill to do edging.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

Yukon how old is your son?  Sounds like he will make a great rehab-technican!

yukon cornelius

He is 15. He has a good collection going and has rehabbed a few things so far. At first he said he wanted to sell those but he became pretty attached to them. He is sharpening saws and resetting them. He has also made a new handle for a big one man crosscut. I think he can go pretty far with it.

Bruno of NH

You can't beat the old tools for quality and feel . Find them at yard sales , junk shops . Better than new and think of the man that used it before you .
Good stuff .
Youkon I'm glad your son has the nack for it .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!