iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

O Nice

Started by Peter Drouin, July 24, 2015, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I was getting ready to bring the mill to the Old Home Day here in town for a 8am start Saturday. I will give a demo of the mill.

Have my logs on the one ton.
Red Oak, W Oak Hemlock W Pine and Cherry.

So I go over to pack up the mill and bring the head to the front and pick up the back legs. When I walked back the mill fell.  :o

:o :o :o :o :o

So I ran the head back after I put the back leg down.

Got the leg back on.

But something was not right. :D

It is just the box bent 8th" steel .
Went got Mr John to help.  ;D

As good as it's going to get tonight.

The mill runs fine. 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Uh oh!  That's not good!  You know, it says in the manual, that if you're set up on concrete, you need to have the stationary outriggers! 

What happened there hard to see?
Hope you're set to go tomorrow!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on July 24, 2015, 10:24:14 PM
Uh oh!  That's not good!  You know, it says in the manual, that if you're set up on concrete, you need to have the stationary outriggers! 

The 4 bolts broke that holds the leg to the mill, And there on wood blocking. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

glad you got it fixed smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

Well it's a good thing you weren't sitting on it or worse underneath it!  Put some grade 8 bolts in there!
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

What caused four bolts to all break at the same time? Sound like you may have had some wear in them to the point where they were just about to let go and then they did.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I believe that those are carriage bolts, so there is not much option on the grade.  I once hung a rear FAO when I was making a turn and sheared it off.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Glad you got it fixed.  The Demo jinxed you.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

Good it didn't fall down at the demo.
Did the bolts look worn that broke? All fresh breaks?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

Glad you nor anyone else was hurt and you have the mill back in operation. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I will replace all the bolts with grade 8.

Quote from: beenthere on July 24, 2015, 11:28:27 PM
Good it didn't fall down at the demo.
Did the bolts look worn that broke? All fresh breaks?

All fresh, but maybe worn some.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

Oh my!!!! THat didnt look good at all.  I just put stationary legs on my 70....I think I'll replace all those carrage bolts after seeing this......maybe once a year.

"Mr. John"  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

snowshoveler

Wow...
that would have scared the "you know what" out of me.
Maybe if you could put a block of wood under there to keep if from going right to the ground.
If you could find a block of wood that is.
And just because no one else said it...pictures of you sawing the truckload are always nice.
Regrds Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on July 24, 2015, 10:24:14 PM

Not sure that would have helped, they use the same bolts. Although, with the stationary legs, you get an extra one that goes in place of the hitch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ocklawahaboy

Before I had my mill, I used to go to a Saturday/Sunday festival and a fellow would demo his mill and sell lumber.  Some of us placed special orders for logs that he had at his house on Saturday and he was going to bring them on Sunday.  A guy hit his trailer on the way home on Saturday and knocked an axle loose on one side and that wheel off.  I didn't get my magnolia log.  Maybe demos really are a jinx.

Peter Drouin

The day went well.

Cherry. You can see the width in the first pic.

When I got home, I found a trailer in the yard and have no idea why.  :D :D

I did take off two legs to look at the bolts. all bent 1" in from the end hard to see in the pic.
By the end of the day tomorrow they will be all new . Grade 8.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

The stationary legs have a piece of bar stock welded on the bottom of the plate so that transfers the load from the box tube to the leg. I don't remember if the jacks have that or not. Would be easy to weld a piece of 1/2" square stock on just like the stationary legs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

I would think you could get grade 8 carriage bolts from a Fastenal or similar, not sure what you have in your area.  Maybe even Curtis would.  Be stronger if they have a shoulder instead of threaded all the way through. 

If I ever built my own mill, everything would be grade 8!  I don't trust anything less!
Boy, back in my day..

Larry

If its any solace that doesn't just happen to WM mills.  I twisted the tongue jack off when out on a portable job about a month ago.  I was jacking it up when it slid off a pile of rocks...most common in Arkansas.  Luckily I still had the outrigger jacks down on that end of the mill and chocked wheels so not much drama.  In my case I replaced the oem jack with one that had 3 times the load capacity.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

deadfall

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 25, 2015, 09:58:11 PM
The stationary legs have a piece of bar stock welded on the bottom of the plate so that transfers the load from the box tube to the leg. I don't remember if the jacks have that or not. Would be easy to weld a piece of 1/2" square stock on just like the stationary legs.

That seems worth considering.  It would eliminate a shearing force at the bolts.

On edit:  I went out to see the outriggers and they do have that square bar in place already on my '05.  So, it apparently wasn't shear forces that broke the bolts.  It would have had to be a tensile force, probably over time, that got 'em.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Peter Drouin

I think it had a lot to do with slabs and lumber dropping off the cant with the drag back.
Before I made the table.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I agree.  Also, do you park your head all the way back at night?  There's quite a bit of weight there. 
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

All new bolts are in. When I had the jacks off I fix them too, WM Idea is a pith. :D
Start you have to take off the top nut which has no threads just a roll pin to hold it on. A little heat and the pin will come out.

You can see the ½ pins spread out and the jack doesn't work, Junk. With them moving out, They mess up the holes.

A little wiggle and the spring will fall out.
Grease the bearing and put it back together with a new one piece pin.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Mine are more like your modification.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2015, 06:18:17 PM
Mine are more like your modification.   ;D

Ya, I got the first ones out. Now they won't even say they made them. No parts for them.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I guess that being last can be good sometimes.   ;D

Peter Drouin

I think my mill is falling apart, Looked at the grag back today and the welds are all cracked.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Do I smell an LT70 in your future?
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

4X4,you forgot the "wide" part
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Yes I did!   ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I don't know with all the wood I'm cutting the 40 Supper is getting tired.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

The way you push that thing I would be tired too if I was it!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I'm going to cut and weld some on the drag arm,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Grind out along the cracks, drill holes at the ends and goober it up!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!