iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust Chute Problem?

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2015, 10:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Obviously I have a problem with my sawmill's sawdust chute.   :-\

This morning was my time to clean the inside of the truck getting ready for the Pig Roast Trip.  Sawdust everywhere; floorboard, seats, dash, console, doors, and whatever else that I am forgetting.

I always keep my truck doors and windows closed so there is no way that sawdust could enter without there being a malfunction somewhere!   ::)  ??? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The sawdust in my truck comes 100% from my clothes. Makes no difference if I blow the dust off of me or not.......it still comes off my clothes and shoes and stays in my truck.
Then I get sawdust stuck to the walls of the washing machine tub.....after the clothes have been washed.
My wife can wash my socks as many times as she wants and still there will be sawdust stuck in my socks.
Its just a way of life.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

BBTom

I must have the same problem.  Sheryl has asked me "Did you HAVE to roll in the sawdust pile?".

Have fun at the "Roast".  I am planning on making it next year.  She informed me that she had to go to the mountains in N.M. this year. (after booking the camp site for the week)  I think the mountains might feel good after the heat and humidity we are getting in SW MO this year, so I am not protesting too loudly.  Besides we all know that a happy wife makes for a happy life!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on July 24, 2015, 10:52:54 AM
Obviously I have a problem with my sawmill's sawdust chute.   :-\

This morning was my time to clean the inside of the truck getting ready for the Pig Roast Trip.  Sawdust everywhere; floorboard, seats, dash, console, doors, and whatever else that I am forgetting.

I always keep my truck doors and windows closed so there is no way that sawdust could enter without there being a malfunction somewhere!   ::)  ???

Have you considered opening the vehicle doors and using the leaf blower.  That should reduce the volume some.  Just a suggestion.
See you in Harrison.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

snowshoveler

A buddy of mine has a huge 4 side planer.
He was showing me how nice it worked.
I was impressed with how many wood chips it could pack in to the open window of his truck.
Yikes.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 24, 2015, 11:00:16 AM
The sawdust in my truck comes 100% from my clothes. Makes no difference if I blow the dust off of me or not.......it still comes off my clothes and shoes and stays in my truck.......Its just a way of life.  :)
Yup, it is amazing how much sawdust can accumulate even when you try to prevent it.  I carry 2-3 extra clean shirts and put one on before traveling home.  I agree, "it's just a way of life".   But Good.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

It's a beautiful thing...my wife comments some days how she loves my new pine cologne... But not the sawdust...other days I guess I just stink...
bk

bandmiller2

Feel kinda funny when I'am at the counter and have a handful of sawdust and change, fish out the coins and put the dust back. I don't want to dump it on their clean floor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I do the same thing Frank. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redprospector

They put a trash can by the counter at our local inconvenience store...just for me.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

you mean some trucks dont have sawdust  say_what  ;D  :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Percy

The other day I took the wife out for dinner to a nice restarant......when I opnened my wallet to pay, about as much sawdust you could fit in a welfare check envelope spilled all over the counter....... *facepalm*
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Percy on July 25, 2015, 12:37:35 AM
The other day I took the wife out for dinner to a nice restarant......when I opnened my wallet to pay, about as much sawdust you could fit in a welfare check envelope spilled all over the counter....... *facepalm*

:D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

:D :D :D  my career in sawmilling has won me the "wash your own cloths award" :D :D  and I love the comment about a little change with the dust at the store counter :D  folks must really think I'm, well I'm not sure what they think, sure get some funny looks though ;D ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I solved the "sawdust in the pockets" syndrome by always wearing a welders waist apron.  Does that mean that I also need a diaper for my truck??

sealark37

I have found that pockets stuffed with money collect much less sawdust.  However, all those pennies get heavy by the end of the day.  My wife says: "Come look at the mess your clothes left in the washing machine!"   Regards, Clark

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on July 25, 2015, 08:31:35 AM

I solved the "sawdust in the pockets" syndrome by always wearing a welders waist apron.  Does that mean that I also need a diaper for my truck??
Thats an idea worth trying.....not only for "sawdust in the pockets syndrome" but also for the less common but deadly "sawdust in the shorts" sydrome....One can always tell when that happens cause as soon as the offending sawdust starts harrassing the "boys", a rythm-less dance begins, kinda like  a drunk Fred Astair.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

East ky logging

My wife can't believe that there's a sawdust pile at the mill she swears I bring every drop of it home and scattered it through the house.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Bruno of NH

My new BIL has been sawing with me this summer .
He showed up one day in my sisters new car .
I said to myself not good .
I didn't notice he left all the windows open !
My sister called me crying when he got home :)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodmills1

My line, at the store or the bank, is no charge for the sawdust

BTW ad oxyclean to the wash

Deadly sawdust in the shorts, oak dust is sharp.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

AnthonyW

Maybe this should be merged with the thread on leaf blowers. I won't if there is a way to rig up the leaf blower to run while I stand in front of and blow the sawdust off of my clothes.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Jeff

Many years ago, we had this guy that used to haul aspen sawdust for his horses in his fancy-dancy high dollar pick-up. He was the kind of guy that was always in a hurry, had lots of money but always complained about the price of sawdust, and was just an all around butthead everytime he came in. You could tell he thought anyone working in the mill was way beneath him. You could tell this guy you would get to him as soon as possible, but that would never be good enough for him. The yardman would be loading the sawdeck with logs, and this guy would be pacing, pointing at his watch or waving his arms, then say things like "It's about !%$(^% time! when he did get loaded.  Well, one day he came in and was being his usual self. When the loader man started up the ramp, he leaned out to tell the gentleman something, and the guy shouted at the loader guy "I haven't got time to chat with you, load the danG sawdust! So, the loader guy proceeded up the ramp, with the bucket that was wider than the pick up bed was long, and dumped the bed of the truck full of sawdust.

That guy really should have took the time to listen to the loader guy when he leaned out the window of the loader. He just wanted to tell him his power sunroof was open.

Oh, I happened to be the yard man on that day.  8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Did he come back for more?  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

Holes in pants dont help either!! boot tops and socks full of sawdust, along with pockets. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Chuck White

Usually the first thing I do when I'm getting ready to start sawing is to remove my outer shirt and pull the tail of my T-shirt (undershirt) out of my pants!   ;)

Been asked many times WHY!   :P

Chips off the debarker or sawdust out of the wind are not comfortable in your shorts!   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jeff on July 26, 2015, 11:33:26 AM
Many years ago, we had this guy that used to haul aspen sawdust for his horses in his fancy-dancy high dollar pick-up. He was the kind of guy that was always in a hurry, had lots of money but always complained about the price of sawdust, and was just an all around butthead everytime he came in. You could tell he thought anyone working in the mill was way beneath him. You could tell this guy you would get to him as soon as possible, but that would never be good enough for him. The yardman would be loading the sawdeck with logs, and this guy would be pacing, pointing at his watch or waving his arms, then say things like "It's about !%$(^% time! when he did get loaded.  Well, one day he came in and was being his usual self. When the loader man started up the ramp, he leaned out to tell the gentleman something, and the guy shouted at the loader guy "I haven't got time to chat with you, load the danG sawdust! So, the loader guy proceeded up the ramp, with the bucket that was wider than the pick up bed was long, and dumped the bed of the truck full of sawdust.

That guy really should have took the time to listen to the loader guy when he leaned out the window of the loader. He just wanted to tell him his power sunroof was open.

Oh, I happened to be the yard man on that day.  8)

Now thats funny....
Love it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Thanks for the very nice chuckle Jeff.   :D  :D

Bruno of NH

Jeff
I call guys like that coco butters :)
It's all about them they are the center of there own world .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dboyt

That's the best sawdust story I've heard yet! Karma in action!

Sawdust just falls through the holes in my pockets.  I just dump sawdust out of my shoes, turn my socks inside out & I'm good for another day at the mill.

MM, ever forget to take that dust mask off when you walk into a bank.

Bbtom, we're neighbors (I live between Neosho & Stella).  Drop by some time when you're passing through!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!