iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Softwood cones.

Started by grassfed, July 23, 2015, 01:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

I am about to start cutting some Balsam fir. This year seems to be a very good cone year. The cones seem to be well formed if not completely ripe. I plan on topping the trees where they fall at about 6 inch diameter and leaving the tops. I am just wondering if the cones will continue to ripen if left on the tops and create viable seed. Any thoughts? 
Mike

clearcut

According to the Woody Plant Seed Manual USDA FS Agriculture Handbook 727, cut fir cones continue to ripen up until seed dispersal. The earliest they can be collected is when the cones turn purple and have a moisture content of less than 60%. Usually August to October. Early collection significantly reduces germination percent.

One criteria they mention is when squirrels start to cut cones, then the seeds are ripe.

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/nsl_wpsm.html

Carbon sequestered upon request.

HiTech

Yes, they will continue to ripen. I have 4 very large spruce around my house. This time of year the cones will start dropping. They are green and heavy. You take a 6" long green cone falling 80' or better they hurt. The squirrels are already sniffing around the cones.

Thank You Sponsors!