iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Belsaw M-14 Scale?

Started by Dave303223, July 22, 2015, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave303223

Hi, I'm new here and new to sawmilling but see almost all I need to get started in the right direction on this board, thanks for being here!

I'm restoring a M-14 and have all the stuff I need except I can't seem to find a replacement log saw scale sticker, any leads on them, are they still made?  I looked on the vender sites here but the closest I've seen is the timberking mag for bandsaw??

Thanks for any help!!
Dave
These Are My Mountains

beenthere

Dave:  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Quotelog saw scale sticker

Would you elaborate a bit on this sticker, as to what you think it does? 
I'm reading different things into it, which don't fit being on a Belsaw.

Click your user name, and go to your profile to fill in some info on location. As is, we don't know where "in the world" you might be.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave303223

The log carriage has an upright metal scale mounted on it to measure cut thickness, the decal is so faded you can't read it.  I can read it includes Kerf and some other thickness in the setting for your board cuts but that's about all I can make out.   
These Are My Mountains

beenthere

Got it.  ;)
Being as you are restoring, you likely want "original" or pretty close. Think it is a painted metal or a decal?

Is it like this one in a previous forum thread by member @captain_crunch .
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=43287.0

But in the interim, make some (or several) carriage sets and mark the dial where the carriage distance to the saw is known. Could be just in inches and quarters, or even eighth's. Then you would just need a cheat sheet to know what distance you want for a "run".. that would include kerf thickness.

Thanks for the location..  what will you be sawing in CO ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lawnsbylane

Dave im picking up a belsaw carriage I will look and see if it has the scale on it or you may just wana look at the whole carriage good luck  Lane

bandmiller2

Dave, I don't run a Belsaw but my scale was hard to read also. I screwed a aluminum yard stick to the scale board and use a cheat sheet that is a chart with board thickness plus kerf. Hope you can find one it makes things a little easier. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dave303223.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tgalbraith

Quote from: Dave303223 on July 22, 2015, 12:48:36 PM
Hi, I'm new here and new to sawmilling but see almost all I need to get started in the right direction on this board, thanks for being here!

I'm restoring a M-14 and have all the stuff I need except I can't seem to find a replacement log saw scale sticker, any leads on them, are they still made?  I looked on the vender sites here but the closest I've seen is the timberking mag for bandsaw??

Thanks for any help!!

Here are some photos of the scale on my Belsaw.  If you have to make your own, just remember that the scale has to  reflect the required board thickness, plus the kerf. In my case, with insert teeth, I add 3/8".  Hope this helps you

Dave
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

beenthere

tg
Place your post outside of the quote brackets. Use the preview button to see how your post will look.

Good pics of the scale that should help the OP
south central Wisconsin

Dave303223

Thanks for all the reply's and warm welcomes!  Yes, that pic is what I have, I can use it to mark mine again THANKS!!

I'm going to be cutting loge Pole Pine that is beetle kill, I have a ton of it and hate to see it all go to fire wood.  It is dead standing, solid dry wood. My cabin is built from it and it really is beautiful wood.  I want to cut the 2x4 and 2x6 to finish my basement when I get this rig figures out.

I'll post some pics when I have it back together, the set works are looking brand new!

Dave
These Are My Mountains

beenthere

smiley_thumbsup
Look forward to seeing the M-14 turning out some dimension.. your pine is real good wood.
It is a shame we have not managed our Lodgepole pine better (or at all) over the last 50 years.
south central Wisconsin

tgalbraith

Dave
Here are some pictures of how my scale is mounted to the carriage. It originally was bolted directly to the carriage, but I added a spacer, so I could see it better over larger logs.  I also moved the control cable up from the main setworks shaft, to the support rod.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

snowshoveler

Okay...
I know you will laugh at me, but I got to ask.
How does that scale tell you what thickness board you are cutting.
I can only figure out what is left in the cant.
I must be missing something important.
Thanks Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

beenthere

No laughing. Good question.
The scale, as shown, only gives the position of the carriage with respect to the saw blade.  From there you do have to figure out where you want to move the carriage position to make the next desired cut.
So it does not tell what thickness board you are cutting, per se.

After making a cut, read the scale. Say it is at 8", so to saw the next board 1" thick, move the carriage ahead to 6¾" and get a 1" board.
Must keep in mind that that (Tom) setting of 6¾" will dictate the width of the next board when turning the cant 90°. A lot of figures to keep track of when sawing. 
south central Wisconsin

snowshoveler

I guess I cheat then.
I put a ruler under where the board comes off. Lets me cut the same thing.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

A good accurate scale is very important on a belsaw as I don't believe they have adjustable stops on their set works. Most mills have A quadrant with a pin to set board thickness and kerf so you really just need the cheat sheet to know where to start. My scale board is worn and hard to read so I fastened an aluminum yardstick on the scale board. Frank C.

Kbeitz

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 10, 2015, 08:40:28 PM
A good accurate scale is very important on a belsaw as I don't believe they have adjustable stops on their set works. Most mills have A quadrant with a pin to set board thickness and kerf so you really just need the cheat sheet to know where to start. My scale board is worn and hard to read so I fastened an aluminum yardstick on the scale board. Frank C.

Check out Cooks Magnetic scales...
Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 10, 2015, 08:40:28 PM
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

loggah

The later Belsaw,Timberking used a aluminum rule on the side of the frame by the setworks,heres a picture.

in the first picture the stop that is held with 2 bolts is movable,so you can set for repeat cuts like a 1" board,you set so when you pull the lever you pull till it untill it hits the cross rod,this will give you the same thickness each time. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Kbeitz, I believe the Cooks scale is for bandmills the kerf allowance would be nowhere enough for a circular mill. Good option for someone building a bandmill though. Frank C.

Kbeitz

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 11, 2015, 07:35:01 AM
Kbeitz, I believe the Cooks scale is for bandmills the kerf allowance would be nowhere enough for a circular mill. Good option for someone building a bandmill though. Frank C.

Opps... I guess you would need to stretch it before sticking it fast...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave303223

Thanks for the pics, can't find where the cable was originally connected but I'll do some testing.

That side scale looks easy enough to come up with.....maybe...

Got my drive shaft in and it looks like it will work fine, I'll post when its running!
Dave
These Are My Mountains

bandmiller2

The math needed to run a circular mill will come with time and become second nature. When I cut I slab, so my first board is 6" flip that side down and slab and board until I get a clean edge. Flip the log so the good edge is down agenst the headblocks. This next cut will be the width of the board, say you want 8" depending how much wood is there I may go to 9 5/16" take the unedged board then flip the cant and start pealing off 8" boards. My bits are 9/32" but I use 5/16 as bits will always cut slightly wider, we're not fine tuning watches. Some folks do it different and arrive at the same station. Frank C.

Dave303223

Finally making boards!
Trying to add pics but not working to well....

These Are My Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!