iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slowly...Working on a Live Edge Cherry Coffee Table

Started by WDH, July 21, 2015, 09:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I am building two end tables and a coffee table for one of my daughters who just finished school and is starting her career.  Of course, she needs furniture.  I am making the tables out of cherry.  The coffee table will have a live edge top and will have a bottom shelf.  Here is of a pic of the carcass dry fitted together so that I can measure the dimensions of the shelf.  The shelf fits in the dados that you see on the lower part of the legs.

The aprons are attached to the legs with mortise and tenon joints.  Each joint will be glued and then pegged with a walnut peg.

I use biscuit joints to align the boards that make up the shelves for the tables.  If you cut the biscuit joints properly, the boards align perfectly and this greatly reduces the sanding. 

I am close to being able to glue-up the carcass with the shelf.  After the final sanding, I will apply finish to the carcass before attaching the top.  Much easier to apply finish to the carcass without the top getting in the way.  Then I can clean up and sand the one piece live edge top, apply the finish, and attach it to the carcass.  Will take a while as I only work on the tables a little bit here and there.  I always make the top last and then attach it as soon as I am finished with the final sanding and the finish.  That way, the top, the piece most visible, does not lay around the shop for several weeks.  When tops lay around the shop for several weeks, bad things can happen.  It is always best to make it at the very end. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Looks like another great WDH project. Nicely done
Think like a farmer.

WDH

With only two daughters out of three making current requests, and since it is only 2 end tables, 3 coffee tables, and one dining table, it should only take me months between sawing, drying, planing, and selling lumber to get them done.

Only.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Danny,
OutdanGstanding project you have there! Cherry is an elusive commodity in my shop. Love the design. Thanks for the construction details on the build. What do you cut your mortice and tennons with? Next table I build, I will try your method with the top done last. I normally build mine first, and let  the stresses of clamping and gluing normalize before installation. You are right about things" happening" during construction. I move the tops to the top of my inside storage rack for safe keeping. Keep the pictures coming, and don't over heat!!
8) 8) >:( >:(   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

As per usual, that table will be a "class act".   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Danny, you truly are a ladies man!  ;)

Now, about the arrangement of those tools on the pegboard......  :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on July 21, 2015, 10:04:49 PM

Now, about the arrangement of those tools on the pegboard......  :o

He does have some organizational skills. I've seen it in person.  :D :D :D :D :D

Shut up David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Jack, the crazy thing is that I know where every tool is  ;D.

Andy, I use a mortising attachment on the drill press.  I am looking at getting a dedicated mortising machine. I suspect that you will do yours by hand as you love working with hand tools.

Yukon, I cannot plane the top through my planer as it can only plane up to 20" wide, so I will have to rip the top in half, plane the halves, and glue the top back together to get it flat.

Andy White

OUCH!!!,
Danny, that would really make me look for other options!  A large one piece top would be really special. Think about a homemade router sled, or dare I say, a really sharp hand plane. Those large slabs are hard to get, and one that survives the drying Is really special. What ever you do, I know it will look great!  :o :o :o  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Bill Gaiche

LittleJohn

Quote from: WDH on July 22, 2015, 07:25:34 AM
Yukon, I cannot plane the top through my planer as it can only plane up to 20" wide, so I will have to rip the top in half, plane the halves, and glue the top back together to get it flat.
WDH, if you weren't so far away I would say bring it on over, the old man as a 54" sander.  Makes refinishing the dining room table easy, a couple of passes and BAM all the sanding is done and its flat as can be  ;) 

Greyhound

Try calling up local cabinet shops.  Sometimes the will joint, plane and or sand wide stuff like that for a very nominal fee.  I have had really good luck with this around here.  Or, you could always use a hand plane.  It takes some effort but is terrifically rewarding.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Greyhound.  How about adding your location to your profile and giving us an intro thread.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Nice Job, Mr Cherry Man. I'm sure they're going to love them tables.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Jemclimber

Very nice!! I like the bead and think I might use that or at least suggest that for my daughters' design requests. I know all about daughters and furniture orders.
lt15

Magicman

The height of my woodworking was done when our children (two daughters & one son) were leaving the nest.  Then there was a period of time when they all thought that the new grandchildren needed stuff.

WDH

Magicman

The years of improper ventilation, no dust removal system, and not wearing a dust mask took their toll on me.   :-\

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on July 22, 2015, 07:25:34 AM
Jack, the crazy thing is that I know where every tool is  ;D.

I often marveled at how my dad could have 10" of stuff piled on his workbench and only a 8" x 12" area clear to work on. But he could reach right into the clutter and grab the tool he needed, sometime without even looking!  :o

I find myself doing the same thing now.......sometimes. Most of the time I'm scratching my head trying to think where I used that tool last. ::)

OneWithWood

Danny, you should invest in a good jointer plane.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GAmillworker

Danny you can visit me in Tallapoosa and I would be glad to send the top through my planer an then through my 50" wide sander.

Another great project

Thanks for sharing.
Thank the Lord for second chances

fishpharmer

Danny, so far the table looks good.  I know it will turn out great!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!