iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dedicated wide slobber question. I know nothing about swing blade mills.

Started by Collima, July 21, 2015, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collima

I run a woodmizer lt70 super hydraulic.  But I recently bought a lucas DSM 23.  Apparently I can't run the planing attachment on it.  But couldn't I just buy the swing blade powerhead to run the planer attachment? 
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

dgdrls

Hi Collima,

Best to check with Left Coast supply.

From what I see the power-head and carriage are are not the
same from the DSM to the standard swingmill.

Best
DGDrls

Ianab

You cant run a planer attachment because the engine on the dedicated slabber is fixed, can't slide across the log. You could mount a router on the carriage and slide that across as you run the carriage up and down the slab. Not as quick, but a much cheaper option.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: 47sawdust on July 22, 2015, 05:31:56 AM
The widest slobber I ever saw was on a St.Bernard.

I did a pretty wide slobber on a big flitch once..  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

addysdaddy

Nope, Newfoundland dog eating a cheezeburger... WOW :D, ... PS I wish I had your LT70 problem 8).. My LT10 is pretty jealous...  :D
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sigidi

Yes mate, you can run the planer head on a swing blade carriage, but as you've found out, with the dedicated slabber the power head doesn't slide along the carriage, also I don't think it has a mounting plate off the driveshaft like the saw carriage does - hence why its a 'dedicated slabber' ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Grandedog

Howdy,
   One of the reasons the planer disc doesn't work on the Dedicated Slabbing Mill is because of the rotation direction of the of the direct mounted DSM engine is opposite that of the Swingblade Mills that have gearboxes. The DSM23 runs on the 8" mill frame, so the smallest mill you could buy to work on the same frame as your DSM would be the Model 830 Powerhead Only, and the planning attachment. With this setup you have the widest versatility, and you would be really hard pressed to find piece wood it couldn't handle.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Ianab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM2__SFWXE8

That's just a random Youtube clip, not my rig. But you get the idea. That would work on your existing DWS

This is my version.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sigidi

Gregg, down here the model 7 fits on with the 8 and 10, is it the same over there?
Always willing to help - Allan

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Yes, they would fit the same frame. We don't have any 7" models available here yet. They're still dicing out the EPA requirements.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212

Grandedog

Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC

mesquite buckeye

If I ever get dedicated to slobberin' they better take away my chainsaw. :snowball:

:)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

deadfall

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 01, 2015, 10:28:59 PM
If I ever get dedicated to slobberin' they better take away my chainsaw. :snowball:

:)

After I had exercised so much restraint.  It's so hard to leave a good straight line alone.    :D
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!