iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Feed Rate

Started by snowshoveler, July 20, 2015, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

Hi folks
Long time no milling.
I tossed all the flat belts off my mill and finally got around to putting it back together with V belts and pulleys.
I have the arbor setup to run at 560 RPM.
The feed was always faster than I liked on this mill.
I have good power but am wondering what a normal rate of feed is for the mill.
I am thinking that a bit slow is better than a bit too fast.
I have seen a few mills with that variable feed setup with a friction wheel that moves across a plate.
This may be the best idea on a small mill. You can feed quicker in small wood and slow down in the larger stuff or hardwood.
Thanks for any help.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Chris been wondering where you went its been a wile. Which feed setup do you have on your Belsaw, they had a couple of different ones depending on age. Most folks complain about the feed too slow. I think its just a matter of changing drive pulleys. Both of the circular mills I setup I cheated and put in a gearbox to change the feed speed. Is your feed driven with a belt that runs directly on the arbor.?? You don't have the feed set up backwards do you, feeding at gigback speed.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

snowshoveler

Hello
  My mill was a cobbled up sort of affair.
The feed runs off a pulley on the arbor.
Then the belt goes to the foreward reverse doo dad.
Gig-back was just a bit shy of light speed.
More than once I ran the carriage off the end...yikes.
The transmission on my engine has a high and low speed in it and I have always ran in the low gear.
At 1500 engine rpm the output was 1000rpm.
When I switched to the V belts I figured I would run in high gear and get some speed on the blade and then slow down the feed rate.
If my memory serves me correct I think the arbor was a bit less than 400 with the flat belts.
I did try it in high gear once and the blade was the right speed. It just had the sound whwn cutting.
But anything more than a 2x4 was too much zoom zoom.
I watched all the you tube vids I could find and they all go a nice calm speed.
Its possible that I had it setup wrong but I don't think I could have screwed it that bad.
I plan on putting the smallest V belt pulley I can find on the arbor shaft and go from there.
These mills are pretty forgiving so I should be much better than before.
Regards Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

loggah

According to my belsaw manual.the feed would be 1" for each revolution of the arbor. 540 arbor r.p.m. would feed your carriage 540 inches in one minute, gigback is 3 times faster. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Chris, your going to have to put a smaller pulley on the arbor or a larger pulley on the feed works or both. If you have the Belsaw 40" saw 400 RPM is too slow,  most were hammered for 540 rpm, PTO speed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Remle

snowshoveler

If you have a M 14 Bellsaw their is a manual that you may find useful for free from the Vintage Machinery Org. Search for it with this "www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1050". The carriage drive has a break down page complete with pulley sizes ect.
Remle

snowshoveler

Well now.
I am at work now and we have a nice printer....so the manual is printed and in my posession now.
I should be able to get pretty close to the right speed now.
Thanks
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Tripp

Timed a log when cutting yesterday. A twelve foot cut takes 11 seconds. I am running a 3 inch pulley on the arbor and a 16 inch on the feed works. My feed works are v belt and I am running about 600 rpm on the saw.

Tripp

snowshoveler

Hi Tripp
That info should help me get in the zone.
My V belts arrived for the arbor today so I should be able to assemble a few things this evening and maybe get a good start on it tommorow afternoon.
Thanks Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

snowshoveler

Well...
I put the new belts on and I put a twist in them like some other folks do to get the blade going the right way.
I did not like it then. And I still don't like it.
I will have to pull the engine out of its shed and turn it around and then run a shaft back its side.
Good thing is I can use the same belts. Will need a good sized piece of shafting though. Have a pallet load of pulleys and bearings so that part is not too bad.
If I ever get it done and working I will put a few pics up.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!