iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stone boats and other old stuff

Started by mesquite buckeye, July 20, 2015, 05:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

My solution to that was to add 500 lbs to the front of the tractor. It helped. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Thanks for the plastic idea. I will check it out. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Don_Papenburg

Ultra High Molecular Weight  , A  slippery plastic that will handle heavy abrasion
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

AK Newbie

Mesquite ,
Fascinating post.  I very much enjoyed reading it both from an educational perspective, learning about stone boats and early American graffiti, and it was just plain interesting!  I love old barns and the fascinating collections of memorabilia found there.  Good luck on your restoration it is a very worthy endeavor...
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on July 23, 2015, 07:07:38 PM
What is uhmw?

???

We can't afford rocks at the Missouri farm. Once in a while you can find one at the bottom of a deep draw. ;D

While not as tough, it is free and worth a try...  Plastic barrels (get them free at Car Wash places) - pretty slippery (polyethylene) and is pretty tough.  It is already curved for the front end!  I used some to make a concrete cute when pouring a wall.  Worked really well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Finally started to get to work on the old stone boat. Seems it may once again find usefulness cleaning rocks out of the new saguaro fields and to smooth out the ground before planting starts.

Here we are with the old rusted solid bolts.

Cut off. Really had to nurse that cutoff wheel to get it done with just one with these wiggly bolts. :-\ ::)

Looks like the original bolts were heated and pounded into the holes to fit. Here is how a modern plow bolt fits. :( :( :(

Not too pretty good. I tried squaring with a dremel. Looks like that would take all day so I tried my fancy new multitool with a wood/metal blade. Not easy, but it worked. The blade is pretty shot though. Here is a hole squared up to fit the modern bolts. Now I don't have to grind the bolts again when it is time to replace them in another 30 years or so. ;D ;D ;D

Just Me

Ultra high molecular weight plastic. Its what they make snowmobile slides out of. I use it a lot for fixtures.

Thank you for the barn information. I love old barns.

Larry

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Here it comes back to life. ;D

Takes me right back to being 5 years old again.
I am happy. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Now all I have to do is change out the 4" bolts in the middle with 3 1/2's.

Then put the fattie wings on it for field smoothing.

mesquite buckeye

Working on the Fatty McFat version for smoothing on the Saguaro Hill. The edge boards will be removable. ;D

Kind of feels like I'm building something for an episode of Game of Thrones. :-\

;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Bark Beetle

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on July 23, 2015, 07:07:38 PM
What is uhmw?

???

We can't afford rocks at the Missouri farm. Once in a while you can find one at the bottom of a deep draw. ;D
You were just in the wrong part of missouri. In our area we have a lack of dirt not a lack of rocks.  :D It looks good and I hope it worksgreat. smiley_thumbsup
What town does your uncle live in or near if you don't mind me asking?
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

mesquite buckeye

He lives on a farm near Graytown, OH.

mesquite buckeye

All done and nice.  ;D And nice and heavy. :-\ 

Works. ;D ;D ;D

Hauls rocks and smoothes out the field for planting. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

dustyhat

Had to check this thread out, dont mean to be a smart elick . but i had to see it float . but know i have learned alot , never knowed they were called that. and loved the old barn pics. them boards might be worth saving.

ESFted

I spent many a day loading rocks on a stone boat pulled by a slow moving tractor on my friends farm in upstate NY.  Seemed like we had hardly cleared a field before new stones popped up :laugh:
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

mesquite buckeye

More come but eventually you run out.  ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

Magicman

This has been an interesting and educational read for me because we do not have rocks.  :P Thanks for sharing the journey.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

We could help you out with that.  ;D Some of them are even pretty. ;D ;D

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on June 29, 2016, 08:59:23 AM
This has been an interesting and educational read for me because we do not have rocks.  :P Thanks for sharing the journey.   smiley_thumbsup
Watch out Magicman if your Mrs. sees this I know what you'll be hauling! :D :D :D
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 29, 2016, 11:09:06 AM
We could help you out with that.  ;D Some of them are even pretty. ;D ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Magicman

There are such things that she does not need to know about.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 29, 2016, 08:59:23 AM
This has been an interesting and educational read for me because we do not have rocks. 

Keep digging.  help_me
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

We're hoping to strike gold.  ;D ;D ;D

We have found a little fool's gold. :'(

thecfarm

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 29, 2016, 12:13:06 AM
More come but eventually you run out.  ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

Never been to Gordon Hill in Chesterville ME have ya.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

My buddy has been helping me with my cabin foundation so he called me up to help him with a project.  He lives in gold country.  We had to jack hammer out the dirt a little on his hill so we could place a short section of track to place his new piece of yard art:

Coming up the drive (zoomed in a bit)

Passing by

From the front porch (steep driveway)

Now he is addicted so today, dug a little more to place this track for his expected arrival tomorrow morning.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Ore cars are cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

There is a lady in Tucson who has the two seater version. :-X :-X :-X :snowball:

Thank You Sponsors!