iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with steam powered Lane mill saying hello

Started by metalshaper, July 20, 2015, 03:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalshaper

Just joined the site recently and wanted to say hello.  I am currently in the process of rebuilding a Lane #1 steam powered sawmill.  The site work is done, and the boiler and steam engine just touched down last week.  Still have lots to do and as soon as I get the hang of posting photos I will post some to the site. Until then just cleaning, sandblasting, and painting some of the pieces.  More to follow. 

Brian

dustyhat

I guess i been a member here long enough to welcome ya, anyway welcome . looking forward to the build. and we love pics.

deadfall

Very interested in seeing steam powered anything. 

Thank you.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

Brian
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Click on your user name and the profile will show up there, and you can update it with info and your location. Very helpful.

Pics tutorial found on the "Home" page, near the bottom.

Look forward to your re-build. Sounds very interesting.

How did you come about getting to re-build a steam powered Lane?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

i'll be watchen this...
I'm a steam engine builder and collector...

Where are you from ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Very interesting project. Looking forward to your progress and pictures. Welcome aboard.

Magicman

Hello metalshaper, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ddcuning

Welcome to the FF. Can't wait to see pics! Where are you located?

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. We all love pictures. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

metalshaper,welcome to the forum. There is another member that likes steam too!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

You got a lot of attention with the post!  Now bring on those pictures.  Look forward following your work.

bandmiller2

Shaper, welcome mate, you must be up here in the northeast, Lane mills seldom traveled far from home. I had a steam powered mill for many years and enjoyed it. Had an 8 1/2" x 11" ajax engine on top of a AB Farquar portable boiler. I would run the mill with a Cat. diesel in the winter and the steamer in the summer. Looking forward to your project. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum.  never ran a steam engine but have mess with a few fairbanks  bot hit-n-miss and governed  good luck and keep us up dated :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

nz1h

Welcome to the forum metalshaper.  I love steam and hit and miss engines
alain

metalshaper

thanks to everyone for the welcome.  I am located in East Haddam, Connecticut, and am just figuring out how to navigate this site.  I have some photos of the dis assembly and the move to my location and will get them up soon, hang in there while I figure out how to get it done. 

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

You know I never thought about hooking up one of my engines to the mill
I guess that would not be working but playing.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

47sawdust

Kbeitz,
That is a very cool looking steam tractor.Nice place you have their,looks like you know how to have fun.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

HSV

Anything with steam gets my attention! Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your pics  :)

steamsawyer

Hey metalshaper,

Welcome aboard, I too am a steam sawyer. It's always good to hear about another circle mill coming back to life.

I am anxious to see some pictures and hear more details about your mill. What can you tell us about your engine?

You are in good hands here. This sight is full of individuals who are ready to help you in any way with their veritable storehouse of knowledge. I am no expert but I have a little experience and I'm looking forward to your story.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

SawyerBrown

Welcome, 'shaper!  Sounds like a great project, looking forward to following your progress.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

metalshaper

First time posting photos.  This is the steam engine as it was found.  More pictures to follow. 

Brian

metalshaper

Here is a shot of the Lane sawmill that was powered by the steam engine.  It is a Lane #1 in great shape. 

metalshaper

Pickering ball governor, with sawyers lever, and speed ball ranger.  These were made in Portland, Connecticut and used all over the world.  Portland is just 20 minutes from my location.

metalshaper

Loading day.  Pulling boiler and steam engine onto trailer with a chain come a long. 

Thank You Sponsors!