The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: New member with steam powered Lane mill saying hello  (Read 7320 times)

Offline SawyerBrown

• Senior Member x2
  • If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!
    • Saw It There
Re: New member with steam powered Lane mill saying hello
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 07:18:05 am »
Welcome, 'shaper!  Sounds like a great project, looking forward to following your progress.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 03:01:12 pm »

First time posting photos.  This is the steam engine as it was found.  More pictures to follow. 

Brian

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »

Here is a shot of the Lane sawmill that was powered by the steam engine.  It is a Lane #1 in great shape. 

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »

Pickering ball governor, with sawyers lever, and speed ball ranger.  These were made in Portland, Connecticut and used all over the world.  Portland is just 20 minutes from my location.

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »

Loading day.  Pulling boiler and steam engine onto trailer with a chain come a long. 

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »

Unloading the whole assembly at the farm. 

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 03:08:30 pm »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »

Offline dustyhat

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:11 pm »
Im glad thats not mine , because i cant afford to work on it , but i would love to get to work on it , and bring that beast back to life. i just love to tinker with old iron.
Running a custom built stationary bandmill with a slightly modded four cyl jeep go devil engine.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:47 pm »
So cool. Brings back members when  I was a kid that I used to play in my Grandpaw's Cotton Gin. It was powered by a two cly diesel Fairbank. Belts ran all over the place. Sad part was, it ran a saw mill too which killed my grandpaw. Momma was only 13 at the time. The engine still stands in place as it did almost 100 years ago.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 08:17:23 pm »
Very cool!  thanks for taking time to post.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 08:40:10 pm »
Brian, your engine  is almost a dead ringer for mine except mine was on wheels. I bought mine from Willie Zagray in Colchester Ct. back in the eighties, it was used on a local sawmill. Stan Zagray had a foundry and manufactured  sawmills I think he called them Amsted mills or something like that. Who made your boiler I can't quite make out the name. Be carefull those boilers are now about 100 years old and theirs nothing more vicious than high pressure steam. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »
Nice story,nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:07 pm »
Thats some serous  Hp...
Whats it going to be? A saw dust burner ?
You got some real weight there.
Guessing 50-75 Hp ?
How big is the boiler going to be ?

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 12:18:40 am »
Following - love steam.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:29 am »
Welcome metalshaper! What is the size of the engine?  Boiler looks big enough for 50+ hp. That will be a lot of torque available when you get it going.   8)
'64 Garrett 15A, JD AMT 626, Turbosawmill M6 Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline steamsawyer

• I'm Antique
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 03:10:20 am »
Thanks for the pictures metalshaper.

The mill looks to be in very good condition. I'm trying to figure out the engine. It's a nice heavy center crank but not real familiar looking. The boiler doesn't look real big, and no steam dome either. When you get a chance maybe you can get some measurements and we can guess at the HP.... Bore and stroke, and number, length, and diameter of the boiler tubes. Maybe the size of the firebox too. I'd like to know the diameter and face of the flywheels too. Looks like about a 2" Pickering Ball Ranger, that is what I have on my Leffel, one of the best governors, in its day.

I hope the inside of the boiler is in good condition. You will need to look at all the stay bolts and ultrasound the plates before you put a fire in it. Looks like you are going to need a few other items like injectors and water glass and maybe some re piping. Be sure to use all double strength black iron pipe... No galvanized.

I wish I could be there to help you go over it. Make friends with some steam guys up there and I'm sure you can get all the help you need for an inspection.

There are some good old engine sites out there too like Harry's old Engine and Smokstak.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Offline 47sawdust

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 05:59:35 am »
I know nothing about steam engines.What is the method for testing old equipment before putting it back in service?
I don't need a lengthy lesson,just wondering how you steamers keep it safe.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:20 am »
Boiler Hydrostatic Testing

There is a speical water pump most are hand pumps that pump water into the boiler.
The boiler and process lines must be completely vented in order to fill them with water.  If your running like 75 psi them you would pump like 150psi water into the boiler.
Or 1 times the design pressure.
the water cant explode.

1. Open the steam drum vent valve and gag the safety valves in accordance with safety valve manufacturer's recommendations. In lieu of gagging, the safety valves may be removed and replaced with test plugs or blind flanges.

2. Open the vents on the interconnecting piping. Close steam outlet valve.

3. Isolate pressure switches, gauge glasses or control components that are not intended to be subjected to a hydrostatic test.

4. Fill the system with treated water in accordance with recommendations from the Clients water treatment consultant. (Refer to section entitled "Water treatment

Considerations". The test water temperature range must be 70°F minimum to 120°F maximum (100°F to 120°F water temperature is preferred). Care should be taken so that all air is vented while the equipment is being filled. Fill the equipment until water overflows the vent, then close the vent.

5. Apply pressure slowly. The recommended rate of pressure increase is less than 50 psi per minute. Proper control must be maintained so that pressure does not

exceed the desired setting of the local steam boiler inspecting agency. Do not subject any pressure part to more than 1 times the design pressure rating of any

component.

6. When the proper test pressure is reached, inspection in accordance with the test objective can begin. Examine the system for any leaks. If no leaks are visible,

hold the system in a pressurized static condition for a period long enough to satisfy the code requirement.

7. Upon completion of the test, release pressure slowly through a small drain valve. Then fully open vents and drains when the pressure drops to 20 psig. Particular

8. If temporary handhole or manway gaskets were used for the test, they should be replaced with regular service gaskets before readying the unit for operation.

Gaskets should never be reused. Replace gage glass if necessary and make sure that the gage cocks are open. Remove all blanks or gags from safety valves and install relief valves, if removed.

9. Additional inspection at this time by the Authorized inspector will determine whether the installation including piping arrangements, valve gauges and controls

and other equipment on the unit meets Code and/or other jurisdictional requirements.

10. Refer to the "Summary of valve positions" for recommended positioning of the various valves during hydrostatic testing.

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:09 am »
Don't know much about steam boilers either, but I'm guessing that's what Steamsawyer was talking about with visual and ultrasound inspection?

Visual picks up the obvious corrosion or cracks, and an ultrasound finds the thin spots and hidden cracks.

I remember them doing a survey of an oilfield FPSO (converted supertanker moored offshore) when I was working for a local oil company. Although it looked OK, some of the steel plates had almost corroded though. Well one actually had, and sprung a small leak. Which is what led to the survey... They ended up putting lot of patches on the old tub.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)