iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what chainsaw to buy

Started by Leggman, July 19, 2015, 07:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggman

I have a small chainsaw but I would like to get a big one for dropping trees and keep my small one for trimming limbs. I have looked at stihl and husky but it seems when I get out of the "Homeowner" saw lines the price goes way up.
I am so tight I squeak when I walk so what is a good compromise between price and size?
Thanks... Dave

21incher

I bought a Echo CS 590 - 20" for $400.00 and love it. Starts easy, plenty of power, & has a 5 year warranty.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

What size is your small one?  And what size trees will it not cut?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

I would look to Echo or Dolmar(Makita) for good value in a bigger saw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tmarch

Quote from: 21incher on July 19, 2015, 07:12:51 PM
I bought a Echo CS 590 - 20" for $400.00 and love it. Starts easy, plenty of power, & has a 5 year warranty.  :)
X2
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

SawTroll

Quote from: 21incher on July 19, 2015, 07:12:51 PM

Actually, it has pretty low power for a 60cc saw, specially for the weight - and the handlebar and clutch cover are both plastic. I still believe it is a good option though, if money is tight, at least the case is metal. Considering the low US price, it looks like a good deal.

If the warranty has any value depends on how the dealer and brand are handling warranty cases - the "called" length often is irrelevant, what really counts is what caused the issue, and dealer/brand policy.
Information collector.

4x4American

If you're not using it daily, a farm and ranch grade Stihl will last you many years.  A Stihl 390 might fit your bill.

I would also look into the Dolmar saws if I were you.  I've never heard anything bad about them and they are reasonably priced.
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

Another vote for the Echo CS590, at $400 the best buy out there for a real good 60cc saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gww

Quote from leggman
QuoteI am so tight I squeak when I walk so what is a good compromise between price and size?
Thanks... Dave

conservative might be a better word then tight.  Don't let him fool you guys.  Leggman made my whole band guide system (which works great) and sent it to me and didn't even take postage.  I would call that quite generous and and not tight at all.  I can't help on the chainsaw advice cause I am using a husky 350 and it is not what you want.  I grew up with homelight but the last two new ones (10 years ago) were kind of problimatic.  I do like how they start though.
gww

Native Cutter

i have a ms390 that i got from a family member, one of the few non pro saws ive owned. its a good saw but is heavy for the power. it is nearly as heavy as a 044/440 which can pull a much longer bar with ease.

that said my muffler modded 390 with 25" and full comp chain has put a lot of wood in the stove and cut a lot of brush in the year ive had it. but pretty sure id blow if up if i did that every day.  My preferred firewood is dead madrone and 2nd is dead blackoak,  so its earnin its keep. i wish i had put a 28" on it instead. my view if a saws heavy it may as well have a bigger more versatile bar on it.

the 360-361 are more expensive but strong saws and the better buy. the 362 is heavier  so you may or may not be happy with that. in my view if i had a nice medium saw already, id get me a nice 70cc saw with two bars and be covered. the husky 372 is lighter than the ms441 by a chunk.

Thank You Sponsors!