iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something crazy is happening

Started by Belafonte, July 19, 2015, 02:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belafonte

This is a tree of heaven that fell down in a thunderstorm a few weeks ago.  I figured I would use it to get some practice with my chainsaw mill.  I went and looked at the stuff today and it was doing this.  Any ideas?

dustyhat

Its trying to clone itself.    no just kidding its worms.

Belafonte

The white things in the photo are definitely not worms, but you're saying that it is the frass/sawdust coming out of their burrows.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like somebody had a field day with a brad gun. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

deadfall

Ambrosia beetles were so bad here last night.  That's typical of the hottest day of the year.  Friends were here for a bachelor party and the beetles were so thick several of them city boys went into their tents, as the campfire wasn't doing anything to keep them away.  They were all over me, probably because I had a nice fine dusting of sawdust all over my clothes and cap.  I have been bitten by these once or twice.  They were probably just seeing what kind of wood I was made of.  They lose interest as soon as they see you're made of meat.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/asian_ambrosia_beetle.htm
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

goose63

And here I thought it might be some thing to help me regrow my hair  8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: goose63 on July 19, 2015, 05:37:27 PM

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

deadfall

Quote from: goose63 on July 19, 2015, 05:37:27 PM

Maybe Kaw-Liga or Pinocchio... any wooden head might have a chance. 

Happy for no reason.

YellowHammer

Ambrosia beetle frass, I believe. There are worse bugs to have in a log
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

deadfall

A few winters back, I drilled over 15000 half inch by one inch holes into about 215 42 and 48 inch alder logs, five to ten inches in diameter, packed each hole with shiitake mushroom sawdust spawn and sealed them with molten wax.  It took me all winter.  The first hot day of the next summer, the powder post beetles flew and landed on my mushroom logs with their own brand of fungus.  I freaked out, as my shiitake growers guide named ambrosia beetles as a problem for shiitake growers.  All I could find as a remedy on line was to put netting over the logs.  Fat chance of that!  I wound up calling the author of my growers guide and he told me it wasn't the end of the world, as shiitake fungus is far more aggressive than the one the beetles plant in their burrows.  As you can see, it all worked out okay.

Happy for no reason.

dustyhat

I guess they make a spray you could get, i have thought about, but just never have, most of my logs, i dont get to keep around very long. but is something to think about. and on the other hand some people like the antique look .

tmbrcruiser

I agree it is powder post beetles. Last year was the first time I have seen large populations of PPB, in the past there were always some in dead wood. But lately we have seen large populations in downed wood. We had a tract of timber that became to wet to complete the logging, when we return last summer the tops were full of PPB and they quickly attacked fresh cut timber (not green standing trees). I got the call from the mill and had to close down the job until fall when the PPB were dormant. Dipping or spraying the logs/lumber will have only limited success. Kiln drying the lumber will work but keep the inventory isolated until you can get it into the kiln.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Thank You Sponsors!