Started by Bruno of NH, July 18, 2015, 01:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Had an ad in the weekly flea
13 1x14x14 rough pine air dried
Guy called from 1 1/2 away
He makes rustic furniture .
Showed up with small truck so I cut the boards to 8 ft and 6 ft
He didn't like one board so I gave him a 1x12x14 no charge .
I have a new customer for all my wide boards .
Peter From here on the FF told me if you give up some on a sale you will gain a customer  .
Worked out great for me .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WmFritz

...and he'll probably tell his friends.  smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ladylake

Seems like people go crazy over wide boards and will pay a good price for them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on July 18, 2015, 05:49:07 PM
Seems like people go crazy over wide boards and will pay a good price for them.   Steve

Ain't no "seems" about it.......You are so right.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

There is a wide board Club out there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

East ky logging

Good for you those boards and dollars add up
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

WV Sawmiller

B of NH,

Congrats on the sale. I'm considering cutting some wide maple if it works out like I hope. I'm thinking 16-18 inches wide.

Do you have much trouble with the boards cupping? I assume you sticker them good but how much weight do you put on top?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

A neat trick I seen somewhere, WV Sawmiller, might have been Dave Boyt, took some threaded road and metal stock and clamped the boards real tight where the stickers were.  I would think that this technique be only used for the real tough customers, so might be worth a shot on your wide maple venture?
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Customsawyer and I have cut a number of wide boards, in the 14" to 16" range from sycamore, white oak, pecan, and maple.  These boards have not cupped.  Quartersawing helps, as does having the rings centered in the boards.  We saw the logs with the pith leveled. 

I sticker them on 16" intervals and stack on a purpose built pallet on a level foundation.  Then, after some pre-air drying, they are kiln dried in my Nyle L53 kiln. 

The 15" wide maple boards that were saw rough at 1 1/8" thick were planed and cleaned up on both sides to a full 1" thick. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

I'm happy for you. I tried to sell 16 to 20" W Pine boards for a $1.00 a bf.  :D :D :D :D :D Can't give them away. I have some over a year old. Have 2" cherry 18" to 22" wide 8' long, can't get $2.00 a bf.
All my customers want to build barns. Nothing fancy :D :D :D :D
We all have to try things in our part of the country I guess.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dean herring

Is there any interest in boards wide enough to make counter tops  anywhere
My wife was on some website that had live edge counter tops like in a kitchen with the sink in it. Looked really good but didn't have any more info.
Just wondering.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 19, 2015, 08:08:28 AM
Have 2" cherry 18" to 22" wide 8' long, can't get $2.00 a bf.

You need to come down on your barn lumber. People's not gonna pay $2.00 a BF.  :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

Poston,

You never know - some rich goat farmer may come by who has to have the extra special something to keep his flock happy and wants cherry and walnut instead of regular old pine and oak and such.

I bet if you let the USDA know they would likely fund a project to study whether goats fare better (more milk, gain weight faster, etc) in fancy barns vs peon quality barns. Of course you know who is going to pay for the study.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Hi Folks , I didn't have any cupping with the 14 inch boards but did have some splitting .
I put them on a pallet and put stickers 16 inch on center .
No weight on top air dried one year .
Next time i saw wide boards i'm only sawing 8 or 10 ft on the length .
This guy who bought them only wants 8 footers .
I can't compete with guys like Peter so i need to find what sells for me and what i can use in my carpentry work .
Thank Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 19, 2015, 11:58:43 AM
Poston,

You never know - some rich goat farmer may come by who has to have the extra special something to keep his flock happy and wants cherry and walnut instead of regular old pine and oak and such.

I bet if you let the USDA know they would likely fund a project to study whether goats fare better (more milk, gain weight faster, etc) in fancy barns vs peon quality barns. Of course you know who is going to pay for the study.

Good point!  :)

Peter Drouin

I think that's the way it is Bruno, What sells for you don't for me. Postonlt40HD sell things in the south won't sell here. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter it's hard to figure people out what they will buy and what they won't .
I'm learning what to saw .
I have some oak boards can't give them away .
The next oak will be trailer decking .

Chuck White

People will buy stuff, including boards that they cannot just buy in a store.

For example, when we were at the Woodsmens Days in Tupper Lake, there was a stack of live-edge White Pine slabs, 1½"x12-14"x12', stacked as they were in the log and we asked the guy what he was going to do with them and he replied "sell them", and we asked how much and was told $100.00 each!  :o

He said they will sell by the end of the day!

It's just unreal what people will buy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Never had anyone complain about wide boards only problem is they see them and want nothing else, I tell them they get a mix. I've had few problems with wide pine if its stuck well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

I'm happy for you. I tried to sell 16 to 20" W Pine boards for a $1.00 a bf.  :D :D :D :D :D Can't give them away. I have some over a year old. Have 2" cherry 18" to 22" wide 8' long, can't get $2.00 a bf.

i might have a use for the cherry boards.  might have to make a trip   :)
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on July 28, 2015, 11:20:06 PM

i might have a use for the cherry boards.  might have to make a trip   :)

Come on over I'll put a log in your truck. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

LittleJohn

The old man loves to cut his 1" White Pine WIDE; 12", 14", up to 22"
*His reasoning is he can always rip it down, if he needs a narrower board.  Plus they stack up faster

BTW, when constructing drawer its nice to make the entire thing out of a single board, other than Luan bottom

WDH

Wide is good except when you exceed the width of your planer. 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2015, 08:28:05 PM
Wide is good except when you exceed the width of your planer.

That's when you start shopping around for either a bigger planer or a friend who has one...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Herb

LittleJohn

...or start looking for a large surface sander

Blackgreyhounds

Interesting thread.  I can see that wide lumber is a specialty market.  Local mills / retailers get big premiums for extra wide hardwood boards, but they have the space and finances to keep inventory on hand for years until the right buyer stumbles in.  I can see how a smaller guy would not want to mill wide on spec.

Kbeitz

Quote from: LittleJohn on July 30, 2015, 09:52:14 AM
...or start looking for a large surface sander

Grizzly
Grizzly.com

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clay3

Good eastern white pine is hard to get down here in florida, nobody has any wide stock. The last I bought was rw&l and 90% of it was 4'' & 5'' wide. I wish you were a lot closer I'd buy all you have plus a thousand bf of 4''x4''s for table legs.

WIwoodworker

Congrats on the sale Bruno. Hopefully the first of many. Wide boards are always a good investment for me. The species isn't even all that important although Walnut is king when it comes to people getting out the checkbook. The other species sell too. Just not as fast.
Peterson 9" WPF

Carpenter

Hey Peter,

I am planning to build a barn and would really like some cherry lumber in it!   8) 

Actually, I would love some cherry lumber and would happily pay $2/bft.  for some furniture projects.  I'm sure shipping would be a killer though.

5quarter

I sold 3 1x16"x12' hackberry boards awhile back. I asked if he needed them planed and he waved me off and said he'd take care of that. A few days later, The fellow calls me up and asks if I can plane them down for him. Apparently, he had been laboring away with a belt sander and chewed them up pretty good. Luckily, I was able to clean them up. He's bought more since, but is happy to pay the extra to have them planed now.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Carpenter on July 31, 2015, 12:52:00 AM
Hey Peter,

I am planning to build a barn and would really like some cherry lumber in it!   8) 

Actually, I would love some cherry lumber and would happily pay $2/bft.  for some furniture projects.  I'm sure shipping would be a killer though.

yup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!