iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Special Project Walnut Box or two!!

Started by Andy White, July 17, 2015, 03:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Have an occasion to build a Walnut Keepsake box! Haven't done a jig cut thru dovetail in a while, and had to go to the book. After a little study, I prepped some pine for a test joint before cutting up this pretty Walnut!

After getting the setups dialed in on the jig, I got the side pieces for cutting the tails first, and started the process with the 7° dovetail bit.

Next was to install the straight bit and 5/8" bushing in router, and flip the finger plate on the jig.
This is a tedious process, so I cut all the tails first, then all the pins  for all boxes that I need  at one time.

Next is pick some pretty figured grain for the top, and for the bottom. Set up the router table, and cut a 1/4" deep rebate around the perimeter of the top and bottom for the sides to fit to when assembled.
Next take the edge profile bit and shape the top and bottom to suit the style.

Now the sanding and sealing grain and all the detail work to make this thing really smooth. After all finishing is done, I'll install hinges and get ready for another project!! :P :P smiley_smash smiley_smash  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WmFritz

Most excellent!
I like the contrast of the sapwood.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Brian_Weekley

Very nice.  I've only tried half-blind dovetails with my router jig--not through dovetails.  Looks like it worked quite well.
e aho laula

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your work is amazing as always Andy. Keep it up.
Goat
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Nice Andy. At least you didn't use that hot cedar from Mississippi. bg

LUV2MILL

Andy White

Bill,
The hot Cedar from Mississippi has all been spoken for! I will saw three more logs, then build planters from the rest. That gator in Louisiana may let me get my other two logs now, if I need them. Lynn told me to come get some more if needed.
Lynn,
Yes you do!! That is some of that Boomerang Walnut. Looking back at the sawing pictures, I think it was the first one after the slab. The grain was really spectacular.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ocklawahaboy

Beautiful work.
I was just given a Rockler version of that dovetail jig, along with a Craftsman Table saw, outfeed/work table etc.  Seeing your work makes me want to try it all out. 

hackberry jake

I am envious of the dovetail joint... I have never moved past box joint. Dovetails definitely add some class.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Andy has a way of pushing the envelope.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

dovetails are certainly on my learn how to do list. they are just classy! also I like finger joints. hackberry jake had made some awesome crates or boxes with them.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

dovetails are certainly on my learn how to do list. they are just classy! also I like finger joints. hackberry jake had made some awesome crates or boxes with them.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

lowpolyjoe

LeeB

I bought a dovetail jig from someone on the forum years ago. It's still siting on the same shelf in the same spot where I put it down. Never tried it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

I think dovetails are easier than finger joints.  tolerances cumulatively work against you with finger joints
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I am glad to say I got to actually hold this box in my hands at the Pig Roast.
The details and wood grain is more beautiful in person than these pictures will ever show.

Magicman

But, what Andy White's secret was during the entire building was that he was actually building two.  One as a door prize and another to be presented to Jeff & Tammy as a 35th Wedding Anniversary.  Go Andy !!!

WDH

Gadrock

when i grow up I want to be jus like my friend Andy White...but maybe a little bit lighter on my ladder.

david G
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

49er

Very nice box Andy. When I make a box with a lid I usually use a gold chain
as a stop for the lid. I have mixed feelings about doing it this way. I was wondering what supports the lid on your box when in the open position?
    I have been wanting to make my own wooden hinges on a box. I like the looks of them.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Andy White

49er,
The lids have a rabbet around the bottom, and the hinge is morticed into the back. The rim of the lid stops against the back. That one would need a really small chain to look right with the size of the box. I built a large Cherry wood box and a Walnut box for things in the shop, and I used chain stops on them. They were much larger than these were.     Andy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The way Andy built these Walnut boxes were spot on.
In fact.....when Andy wasn't looking   smiley_curtain_peek, I gave the Walnut box a very good inspection. I have to admit, I learned a few things and his craftsmanship is extraordinary.  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!