iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sauna build ideas

Started by starmac, July 17, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

A friend of mine wants me to build him a sauna, heated by a wood stove.
We are thinking rough cut framing with board and batten siding, and probably metal roof.
I know pretty much nothing about saunas, haveing never even been one, but seems like mold could easily be a problem.
I have several questions.
What would be the best to insulate it with, it will be on the small side, so the wood stove will easily heat it.
what material would be best for interior walls and ceiling, thinking maybe something like shower stalls are built with.
Around here tyvec house wrap is used on nearly everything, but on the outside under the siding. On a sauna, would it be better to put some sort of vapor barrier on the inside under whatever we panel it with, and skip the outside barrier?
Just in the planning stage, but don't want to build a mushroom factory.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

boscojmb

Here is one I built in 2004. It is located in Lime Village, AK.
It is 3 sided log construction.

Several things that I have found important when building a sauna.
1.) Start out with a shallow pit filled with stones or crushed stone underneath.
2.) Use styrofome insulation. Fiberglass will get wet and messy.
3.) Make sure there are no gaps between your boards anywhere that you use foam insulation (especially the celing).
4.) I would stay away from any type of vapor barrier. This thing will get up to about 190 degrees. Any moisture will be gone within a few minutes after you stop using water.
5.) Clean it with bleach and water frequently.

Still looks pretty good after 11 years, and no mushrooms.

I have pictures of a stick built one on my laptop at home. I can post them tonight,

John B.

Log-Master LM4

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Henk198

"Building a Cordwood Masonry Sauna". From the December 99/January 2000 Mother Earth News has an interesting article about how to build a sauna with cordwood.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/building-a-cordwood-masonry-sauna-zmaz99djzgoe.aspx

I see in your profile you have a sawmill, so except for the cement and the stove/stove pipe, you're off to a good start  :)

boscojmb

Here is the stick built steam bath (sauna for the folks in the lower 48)

The wood stove is recessed in the floor, this is important. You will have mold  / mushrooms / ants below stove level.

Another picture showing the bleacher style bench (folks that like it hot can sit on the top, and folks that want it a little bit cooler can sit on the first bench). I used polly on the walls on this one. I would not use polly again. Anything glossy will burn you if you touch it, and the polly turned dark after a few years.

Last picture and probably the most important. In your "steam" section keep your light incased in plastic and as close to the ground as possible.
Picture a hot glass light bulb splashed with water, the lights go out and you are running out through broken glass in the dark. I learned this the hard way and have scars to prove it!!

The bit that I mentioned earlier about the shallow pit lined with stones only pertains to folks in northern 907. It is necessary in places with permafrost, or frost in the ground 9+ months out of the year.

I forgot to mention that if you are using the pit with stones, your steam bath should be raised up about a foot
above ground level with the stones mounded up to meet your base.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

starmac

Thanks for the tips and ideas.
The 3 siding log and no insulation worries is starting to get my attention.
I haven't tried cutting any yet, this just may be the excuse, and an easy place to start. lol

Also thanks for the light tip, I can easily see that happening, but would never have thought of it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!