iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Credit sale - feast or famine

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 16, 2015, 10:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I talked to a young fellow several months ago who has a local primitive furniture making business. He had some business out of state and just got back. He called today and wanted to come see my operation. He said he was short on cash but was interested in buying some wood when he got caught up a little and sold some products. Evidently he sells at local flea markets. He wanted to know if I wanted some furniture in trade for some wood.

I told him come on down and I might be able to advance him something to help. He and his uncle came with a small trailer and I showed him around. He was like a kid in a candy store looking as some trim cuts I had in a scrap pile, an old slab I have hanging in the rafters of my barn and some scrap logs I had pulled down to cut into stickers.

I happened to show him some really scrappy cherry and walnut a neighbor cut for me 3 years ago. I had stored it in my barn under my hay.  I had recently moved it to my new lumber shed. I thought he was going to pass out when he saw it. I made him a deal on it and moved the mill from my front yard where I had just finished my 100 hour service. I cut a 4' X 10" diameter poplar sticker log into 1X for him then cut a 7'X16" sticker log into 2X slabs (everything was live edge so just one pass) and he was as excited as my grandkids at Christmas. He took about 190 bf of the cherry/walnut and I have about that much left he wants when he returns.

Wrote up a simple promissory note and sent him on his way. I may cut some other odd stuff I can't use except for firewood or stickers and see if he can use it. From his pictures he showed me he does good work and can use a wide assortment of lumber/slabs.

I feel like an old west storekeeper who just grub staked some old prospector with a long beard and a mule. If it pans out I may have just earned a lifelong customer and an outlet for wood I can't use for anything else. If not, I am not out anything significant. We will see what happens. 

Don't figure on running a credit business but this just seemed like an opportunity to help give someone who wants to work a hand. Call me crazy - my wife already does. Time will tell.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

No not crazy, because helping folks that are down comes from the heart.  There is no better feeling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

i bet he will be back most working folks will pay you even if its $5 at a time. was a nice thing you did. smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

Good on ye WV.  Makes one feel good to do that. 

Hope you get ahold of some pics of his work and he'll let you post them... or get him to be a member and post.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deadfall

Good on ya, mate!

On edit:  I came in 15 seconds behind you, Beenthere, and that was with the delay that someone else had posted ahead of me.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

YellowHammer

I think it's great.  Good things happen to good people, and you did a good thing.  Hopefully it will work out, but either way, you'll sleep good.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LaneC

That is great. All you normally hear about are bad business deals usually. There are still a lot of deals made with hand shakes. There is still honor among a lot of people and some are trustworthy. I wish the best for both of you.
Man makes plans and God smiles

WmFritz

My Dad has a saying (he about wore it out on me when I was young)...

''I won't give anybody a handout, but if I can, I'll always give somebody a hand up''.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

East ky logging

I would have done the same thing as you I'll help anybody that is trying to help themselves
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

longtime lurker

I've been known to do similar things. The other week it was timber for a young guy to refloor his truck. He's all of 18, and apprenticed to a cabinet maker I sell a bit to occasionally. He asked what it would cost and I told him... I can remember what it was like to be living on an apprentices wage. Come back and buy a few boards when you're a tradesman and we'll call it square.

Like your guy - even if you don't get paid - sometimes the best thing is the feeling of satisfaction from helping somone when you can.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Nomad

Nice gesture!  If he is what he says he is, you've just made a friend, a customer and a reference; all in one visit. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

When you help him,  maybe later he will help someone else .
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 16, 2015, 10:58:58 PM
... Call me crazy - my wife already does. Time will tell.

Crazy like a fox!

I hope your customer succeeds beyond your greatest expectation.

Herb

Ianab

I think you did the right thing too.

Very little risk. Even if you never see him again, you are out a little time and some firewood. No big deal. Most people are happy to help someone that want to help themselves, like in this case.

If he builds and sells some cool stuff, and comes back next month, pays his tab, and picks up another load of wood.. Win / Win.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishfighter

OP, it's a win win no matter what. You are a good person trying to help a fellow man that is trying to scratch out a living. It's the right thing to do as I was taught and as I taught my kids.

Seaman

I delivered some slabs to a table maker in Charlotte Fri, and he had a surprise for me. I had let him take a couple of slabs a few months ago , and he had made an non-commissioned table and sold it. I got a nice little bonus in my check !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

samandothers

WV Sawmiller, Good for you!
You did a good thing.  I hope he succeeds so one day he may pass this kind deed on.

You are a good person.

1-2 Tree

So shall he sow so shall he reap or that's what moma said . Good deeds never go unrewarded ! I would have done the same thing
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

mesquite buckeye

I thought that one went "No good deed goes unpunished."

Maybe that was somewhere else. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sealark37

If we would try real hard to remember, we all have been at the bottom looking up.  Most had the advantage of someone up the ladder who aided our upward progress without profit to them.  Helping a worthy individual is the right thing to do, even if sometimes they don't prove up.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

Quote from: sealark37 on July 22, 2015, 12:35:23 PMIf we would try real hard to remember, we all have been at the bottom looking up.
It is not difficult for me to remember.  Even now it is sometimes like walking along the edge of Grand Canyon.  Lending a helping hand to those less fortunate or fallen brothers is a joy, both for them and for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

I still like that lilies of the field notion.  Something's kept me going all these years.  Too many miracles to have much doubt.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!