iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 034 AV specs ?

Started by montreal, July 16, 2015, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montreal

its great to access so much info & real experience with the 034,plenty of stuff to digest there.Reddawg the 72 apx chain,is that the semi skip tooth or some other?dont worry i definitely dont force a saw to cut,the push/pull burn your way thru is a pretty good description of my typing/posting style tho!!.Holmentree,& Al i dont know if im missing something but i find for most of my work the semi chisel seems a better bet in cured eucalypt,often this timber has whiteants  in the pipe/center & this leads to a lot of grit/dirt scattered thru the pipe,the other killer is often a bit of charcoal residue on the outside from bushfires.i find the full chisel gets the edge /corner rounded off quicker than the semi on this work(i often try to get rid of most of the charcoal with an old axe].When working in green timber [less ant dirt & charcoal] i like the chisel for sure,'horses for coarses'i guess.Im glad u slid off of the main topic [whatever it was]Lumberjack,some top reading there,definitely reassurring to hear the 034 performed so well under that sort of use.was it bcause your men didnt get them cutting like u that they wouldnt handle being leaned out..??the ''live animal ''sounds pretty wild,your xtreme usage reminds me of a uncle of mine who has always had a knack for running any  machine  to within an inch of its life for surprisingly long periods of time.thats the first time ive heard of the 5/32 fileing on a 3/8 chain...there generally is more than 1 way of skinning a cat isnt there?.ive always reckoned its the end result that matters.... as long as theres not a trail of wreckage left behind.

SawTroll

A 5/32" file is used on the 3/8" lo-pro/picco chain, not on regular 3/8" chain. Those mostly take a 7/32" file, unless it is Stihl chain (13/64" on those).

An exception is the discontinued Oregon 76/77 chain and Stihl Topic chain, that takes a 3/16" file. There may be other exeptions as well.
Information collector.

montreal

ok thanks Sawtroll,what is the main idea of the lo-pro/picco chain,if memory serves me i thought picco was thinner  kerfed but didnt realise it was also available in a lo pro,ive just stuck to the basic same ol same ol not being someone who is on a saw all day everyday but im interested to know if im  missing out on any extras that could be relevant to my work/application 

Al_Smith

3/8" low profile or pico was made to replace 1/4" pitch chain used previously on small chainsaws .When it came into being I have no idea .

If it weren't for small chain such as these small chainsaws would have never been possible .

Fact I have a little Echo that has 1/4" and an s-25 Poulan that previously had 1/4 until I changed it .In addition I found a cherry Stihl 015 Stihl that had 3 brand new 1/4" loops and two in good shape for my wifes cousin .Poor guy has a weak back so a larger saw is out of the question for him .

montreal

thanx Al,getting back to the full vs semi chisel am i on the right or wrong track that the full chisel is more prone to losing its edge/corner when used in harsh work

SawTroll

Quote from: montreal on July 26, 2015, 07:23:43 PM
thanx Al,getting back to the full vs semi chisel am i on the right or wrong track that the full chisel is more prone to losing its edge/corner when used in harsh work

That is true - and what Al said is true!  :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

All the years I was logging with a chainsaw myself and all the other fallers always ran chisel chain ( 72-73 LP/LG, 33-35 RS).
We didn't bother with the semi chisel as it slowed production. With skill and experience we could keep the chain out of harms way. Our chain's cutters would actually hone them selves sharp while cutting clean wood .
Only time dulling would acure on the average was during limbing and topping the trees on the ground when the skidder backbladed the limbs for us.
Then it took skill to quickly touch up the chain.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ZeroJunk

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but it is a pretty simple matter to put an Super/036/MS360 cylinder kit on an 034. You just half to make spacers for the muffler where it bolts to the crankcase, and grind a little plastic out of the top cover.

Al_Smith

An 034 with an 036 cylinder is a common modification . They do quite nicely .
Fact a few years back I built one up then horse traded it for an 805 McCulloch.It did nicely but I doubt I even had 15-20 minutes run time on it before the trade.
Try as I mght I never did figure out why the muffler and top plastic didn't seem to fit correctly.

As I type I've got an 034 super in the shed awaiting the time I have to fiddle with it . A little tweek ,a little lathe work,a can of soup. ;D

montreal

thats handy to know about the 036 cylinder kit swap,ill keep it in mind for down the track.Sawtroll im glad to hear someone besides me has come to a similar conclusion.Holmentree i find i get a good run out of the full chis on green/clean timber but its in the cured firewood timber that often has the center/pipe contaminated with dirt left there by white ants thats giving me strife

SawTroll

Regarding chisel vs. semi chisel, I actually haven't used semi chisel since 2006 or so, with the exception of the 95VP/H30 on the 339xp. That one has mostly been used for cutting up planks etc.
In clean and green wood, chisel is by far preferable.

I still keep some semi chisel though, just in case some "dirty" wood will present itself to me.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on July 28, 2015, 01:34:45 PM

I still keep some semi chisel though, just in case some "dirty" wood will present itself to me.
Or something  very hard :D
Here's  the 034's big brother. ....my 090AV  cutting a SPX paper roll in half for 5 minutes  at WOT.
The chain is a Stihl .404 semi chisel  harvestor chain,  still had to give the 60" chain a quick touchup with the file after every cut.

Maine logger88

So long does it take to file a big chain like that? Must've had sore hands from filing at the end of the day
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on July 30, 2015, 07:11:51 PM
So long does it take to file a big chain like that? Must've had sore hands from filing at the end of the day
Actually for a quick touchup on this full comp 60" to get the edge back......about 5-10 minutes max. That's  about 2 -3 strokes of the file to each cutter.
We were putting in 12 hr days at $100 hr to cut these cull rolls  in half so the mill could feed them back into their repulper. Best day we did 42 rolls.
The mill has since purchased a hydraulic  guillotine  machine to cut them in half. Rolls are approximately  14 ft long 54" diameter. Weighing over 7000 lbs and rolled out would be a mile long.
They can't  sell them if they have defects so they have to repulp them and start over again.
The best grade of this unbleached SPX Kraft paper makes cement bags. Lower grade cardboard, feed and grocery bags.

Maine logger88

That's some good money for two guys and a saw! Bet the 090 didn't owe you a dime after that job!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

montreal

i imagine the novelty of that job wore off after the first day but i bet your back pocket was sorry to see the guillotine arrive!!

HolmenTree

Yes it was good going for those few months alright. The 090 paid for itself  many times over and still in excellent  mechanical condition.
But it was time to move on , those 12 hr days got old fast. Was burning 5 gal of mix gas and using 2 gallons of bar oil  a day.

ihookem

How much does an 036 head cost to put on my 034 AV?

C5C Tree Farmer

Quote from: ihookem on February 11, 2022, 09:50:44 PM
How much does an 036 head cost to put on my 034 AV?
I've bought saw parts from these folks before. It's an easy to use website and you should be able to come up with a reasonably accurate parts cost for what you want to do.
stihl husqvarna jonsered echo dolmar Chainsaw Parts and accesories
Ebay is also another source of chainsaw parts.

Thank You Sponsors!