iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old vs. New cut logs.

Started by Sixacresand, July 16, 2015, 08:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I had a 12 ft, 16" white oak log that I have had since last October.  For kicks I thought I would try some of the quarter sawing techniques that I saw at the Sycamore Project.  And I was successful as for the perpendicular rings and rays.  I was unsuccessful for having straight lumber.  (I cut most of the boards in half and edged them cutting out the crook and sap wood. 
   Since QS lumber includes contains inside and outside wood, I figured that the outside part of the log is slightly dryer than the interior (the log has been in the hot sun) and the difference in moisture causes them to bend.  I wondered if I had milled it green would I have had better results. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

ladylake

What blades are you running?  White oak logs don't dry out very fast and even old ones saw straight with a good blade. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Fedge

Let me say that I have never Qtrsawn anything. I was under the impression that one of the downsides to Qtrsawn was side bend in the lumber. Maybe somebody can chime in on that.
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Sixacresand

Quote from: ladylake on July 16, 2015, 09:03:02 AM

What blades are you running?  White oak logs don't dry out very fast and even old ones saw straight with a good blade. Steve
WM Turbo 7 d
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brad_bb

I don't understand.  So after you sawed them, you put them out in the sun?  If so, you shouldn't do that.   Should go in the shade always.  Or did they bend right off the mill from internal stress? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Quote from: Sixacresand on July 16, 2015, 08:28:40 AM
I had a 12 ft, 16" white oak log that I have had since last October.  For kicks I thought I would try some of the quarter sawing techniques that I saw at the Sycamore Project.  And I was successful as for the perpendicular rings and rays. I was unsuccessful for having straight lumber.  (I cut most of the boards in half and edged them cutting out the crook and sap wood. 
   Since QS lumber includes contains inside and outside wood, I figured that the outside part of the log is slightly dryer than the interior (the log has been in the hot sun) and the difference in moisture causes them to bend.  I wondered if I had milled it green would I have had better results.

The "outside" wood will have growth stress in tension (more tension as the tree grows more layers) and that tension is relieved when sawing out the board. You will see it as you describe, and would happen if milling the logs fresh too. It is referred to as crook in the board.
Once the lumber is dried, the crook can be edged out with the expectations that the straight board then will remain straight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

You sure have to get the juvenile wood around the pith out or there will be considerable side bend if the juvenile wood is on one edge of the board.  White oak juvenile wood is very delinquent. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Stay away from the Pith and you will be ok
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

Yeth, stay away from the pith.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Sixacresand

Thanks for all the replies. 

tmbrcruiser

I work for a local mill buying timber, a few months ago our logger landed a loblolly pine that had a DBH of 50". The butt log is to large to fit through the metal detector, so the logger cut 8' off the log and intended on leaving it. I brought it home and quartered the log with a chain chaw first. Then quarter sawed the log, kilned and dressed the lumber. The tree grew very fast during the first 25 years. After drying the lumber with the heart wood pulled and the outer cuts remained straight. This was my first quarter sawn log so, as is often said "Live and learn".
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Thank You Sponsors!