iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table

Started by Bill Gaiche, July 15, 2015, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Just finished this 60"x60" red oak dinning table with espresso stain with semi gloss poly finish.

br>

Andy White

Bill,
That table is strikingly beautiful!! What is the insert in the top? How are legs attached? Apron? Please share all the good stuff . Is this a design for someone, or for your personal use? 60"x60" is a large table. Are you building chairs for it? Sorry about all the questions, but the construction of this one I LIKE!!! Great work for sure.  ??? ??? ??? ::) ::)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What a shine!!!! Looks good Bill.  :)
For your family or a customer?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandsawmill14

great looking table!!! smiley_thumbsup :) 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WmFritz

I like everything about it. Andy covered all my questions.  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Bruno of NH

Looks great 8) 8)
I like the stain.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Lots of mighty with that table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Simple and elegant.  That is the best way to go.  That is a fine table, Bill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

Looks great!   Also curious about the insert.

Magicman

Bill, you know very well that you can not post pictures like that without some building details.  Silly Bill.  After you finish answering the others, mine is about the table top thickness?   :)  By the way....Way to Go !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Pretty table there Bill, I too would like to see some of your techniques on the legs,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bill Gaiche

You guys. Ok here we go. This a simple table that a person whom I have done several projects for. She looks at places like Houzz.com and shows me a photo of what she would like for it to look like. So I try to do that. The legs are are 4"x4". I used a lock-miter router bit to make the legs. I used 1 5/8 deck screws with enough of the point remove so that they would not break thru the apron to attach them. I had to install some 13/16" thick pieces on the inside top of the legs so that I could attach them to the inside of the apron in order for the leg to be flush with the outside of apron.The holes where the blind nuts went were used to reach thru and tighten the deck screws for the legs to the apron. The leg was shortened where it sits under the apron, and the other 2 fit up against the table top. The one cross brace attached to the legs has blind nuts attached on the inside of the leg with 2, 2"x1/4" bolts. The apron corners are lock- miter also. I use pocket hole screws to attach the top to the apron and cross braces. There are 4 cross braces under the top besides the apron pieces. The top is 1" thick. Its a total of 3 3/4" from top of table to bottom edge of apron. The center has a 1/4" x 22" piece of frosted glass. I made a jig and used a 3/4" dado bit in my router to mill out the area for the glass. I don't do chairs, I leave that to the pros. She is going to order 8 espresso stained chairs with white padded seats with the nail heads around the bottom edge of cushion. I didn't do photos because it slows me down and when its 100+ in the shop I just don't take the time. Sorry about that. I do appreciate all your nice comments. I have learned my lesson by not taking photos, so I will try to do better in the future. I took a few photos looking up on the inside of the table so maybe you can see a little about what I did on the legs and table top. bg

Andy White

Woah Bill,
That thing is really stout!!! Glad I don't have to move it. How long did it take you to get that Lock Miter bit setup??? I put mine in the " I Don't Know" drawer. Nice work on that creation. Stay cool, and stay safe.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Strong is what I was thinking too.   8)

Now see Bill, don't you feel better now??   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Did you laminate the legs?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Just Me

The way you built that Bill it could double as a dance floor!

Nice. ;D

Larry

Bill Gaiche

WDH, the legs are made from 3/4"x4" x 29" red oak lumber. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

At least you have a FAN I see.

Bill Gaiche

Yes Poston, it blows that 100 degree air around pretty good. Matter of fact there are 3 fans. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be doing any wood working at all. The heat really gets me anymore. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm right there with you Bill. I think we should put a bottle of A-1 in our back pockets just in case we get done.
:D :D :D

WDH

I was well done, over cooked, today.  Probably tough and stringy, too  :D. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 17, 2015, 08:50:36 PM

Just marinate yourself in Gold Bond and shut up.  :D :D :D :D :D

plowboyswr

Wow! this looks great the Mrs. saw it and loved it. Gave her and I both some ideas for ours. Thanks for posting.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Warped

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 17, 2015, 09:52:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on July 17, 2015, 08:50:36 PM

Just marinate yourself in Gold Bond and shut up.  :D :D :D :D :D
Gold Bond? That's what I use for stinkfoot...thankfully it's been awhile
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

WDH

Poston must have a lot of stink foot. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2015, 09:38:01 PM
Poston must have a lot of stink foot.

Yep...and I buy the 4 pack.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!