iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Must visit places on the way to the pigroast

Started by Howdy, July 14, 2015, 06:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

With only two weeks to go, I am seeking places to visit along the way.   If we tell of the fun and interesting places found on the road everyone would benefit.

The following are some of my areas of interest:

In my area we don't have flea markets so I have never visited one and would like to do so.

I enjoy seeing Greenhouses and plants.

Anything nautical is always fun.

Home town diners where you are greeted with warmth.

I would love to visit someone using a sawmill.

Food markets beyond the normal supermarket type.

Recycled and reclaimed building supply places.

Anything unusual or special would be nice for anyone to learn about.

Chuck White

You could always detour a little south and visit Yellowstone Park and go out through Wyoming, into South Dakota, tour the Black Hills and the Rapid City area, Sturgis is also a nice place to visit, but caution during the Sturgis Bike Rally, and on your way East, you could visit Wall Drug and a little further East you have the Mitchell Corn Palace!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thechknhwk

I've got about 50 ash logs to saw into siding boards about 2hrs south of the Pig Roast.  I don't know if the stars will align or they'll be done by then, but you're welcome to check with me when the time gets closer.

Sixacresand

You will have go a little further East to a city call Bay City.  We found a nice flea market there.  Don't know the address, but we did a search with our Garmin for flea markets and it carried us right to it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WmFritz

Howdy, what does your itinerary look like? Once your on the train, is your next stop the Windy City? 

For us, anytime we do bike trip toward Chicago we (I  ;)) avoid all interstates. Once you get north of Gary, Highway 12 along the Lake is a nice route.  You can follow the lakeshore as far as you want and there are some nice towns along the way. South Haven is a good example, but gets very busy on summer weekends. Nearby Saugatauk is known as an art community. If I wasn't in a hurry, I would follow the lakeshore to Ludington and then head toward Harrison.

Or if you have a couple of spare days, you could head north out of Chicago  and follow the Lake through Wisconsin, the UP and back down to Jeff's. Wisconsin's Door County is touristy, but lots of cool stuff to see.

And somebody along the way should be needing a good tail man at a mill.  ;D

Edit: There you go... thechickenhawk has work.  :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thechknhwk

Yeah I gots work, lots of it :D :D :D

Small sample

wesdor

If traveling by train I expect it will be the Empire Builder.  The Empire Builder has the reputation of being the most scenic route in the USA. The train has two legs  - one from Oregon the other from Washington. They join about midnight in Spokane.  If on time breakfast will take you through the south end of Glacier National Park.  Havre Montana is a "smoke stop" and has an antique locomotive on display.  Browning Montana is the chief city of the Blackfoot Nation and the Trestle coming into town is quite a marvel.  To the south you will see a huge wind farm which stretches for miles.
Try to spend some time in the Observation Car during the day as they have historians that explain what you are seeing and the history of the area.
The Devils Lake area is beautiful (in my opinion) and then you head across Minnesota.  Nice station in Minneapolis/St Paul which is scheduled for breakfast time.  If all goes as scheduled you will arrive in Chicago about 4:00 PM
Two blocks north of Union Station (in Chicago) is the Metra station.  For my taste you need to go there and go upstairs near the exit to gates 3 and 4 where you will find a Garret's popcorn stand.  In my opinion they have the finest caramel corn anywhere.

If you are coming on the California Zephyr I can describe the route from Fraser to a Chicago but have never been further west than the Rockies on the train.

Enjoy the ride and the great hospitality we have always found on the train.

On the other hand, if you are driving I'm just a few miles off I-80 and have a place for you to stay and feed you.  I'm on the Iowa Illinois border, PM me if driving and that sounds like it would work.

wesdor

Just checked your location and see it is near Portland. That leads me to guess you are riding the Empire Builder.
My wife and I have ridden that route probably 10 times. It is really scenic. Hope you enjoy the ride  8)

Howdy

Yep, Empire Builder both ways. Wesdor this is one of the most compelling reason for the trip.  Meeting people and seeing the wonderful country we live in when added to attending the pigroast makes me one happy camper.

Chuck I wanted to drive following the  southern route through Denver and wander my way up to Chicago then to Harrison returning via the northern route by way of Sturgis, Yellowstone, Helena, and Spokane.  However the added cost of fuel, lodging and food ruled out the chance of that. 

WmFritz you suggest a way I hadn't considered and will have to research it. Thanks.

Chicken Hawk I just might take you up on your kind offer. I have seldom seen sawmills used.  I grew up in the logging era with parents both working in sawmills in Northern California and the sight of wigwam burners glowing red 24/7 was a constant sight.  I breathed sawdust most of my younger years until I started school.

Thank you all for the ideas, I look forward to a great trip.

sandhills

I'm way South of your trip but I know you'll have a great one no matter which route you take, and of course we'll need pictures  :).

petefrom bearswamp

Not sure how close the tracks are to this place, but the Museum of the fur trade just east of Chadron Nebraska is nice.
My wife and I stumbled on it some years ago after taking a wrong turn and spent nearly 2 hrs in a smallish building which was very educational.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

To see the route of the Empire Builder train between Portland, OR and Chicago, here is a link.

http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

Scroll down to see the list of the train stations where likely the train will stop.

Click the map in upper right corner to expand it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Thanks beenthere.  It is nice to see the route of our Traveling Friend.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

wesdor

I've ridden the Empire Builder many times, but always the Washington leg, so I can't help you with the Portland to Spokane portion.  I'm checking the actual schedule and will try to give you my impressions from previous trips.

If memory is correct, you will have a snack car (bottom of the Lounge car) on the train but no Dining car until it comes together in Spokane.  The last few years the train was very late for us, but hopefully yours will be close to on time.

In case you haven't traveled by train, walking between cars can be quite an experience.  You need to push a panel on the door with your hand (or the one at your feet) to open the door and then be careful not to put your foot in the gap between the two cars.  At high speed (70+ mph) the cars can be pitching quite a bit so be careful.

Bathrooms are downstairs in most cars and are uni-sex.  The Snack Car is in the lower level of the Lounge Car (Observation Car) and offers cold sandwiches, soft drinks, candy, wine and beer.  Prices aren't very cheap but at least there is something available.
The Dining car seats people 4 to a table and we have found it to be an interesting way to meet people.  When you tell them you are going to a Forestry Forum Pig Roast I bet that will get some interesting looks.  Breakfast on the Empire Builder is better than most other trains.  I like my eggs over easy and ask for them that way and get them.  On other trains you don't get that choice.  Breakfast should run you about $10 - $15 (without tip).  I often skip lunch, but when I do go for lunch I most often get their burger which for my taste is better than the other options, but still nothing to write home about.  Cost again will be $10 - $15.  Supper can get expensive.  They usually offer a steak in the $30 range, but we live in the mid-west where steaks are really great.  The Amtrak steak isn't on the par with what we have at home.
One thing we have done in the past is to take sandwiches and food for the first day.  As long as it is packed carefully and doesn't take up too much room, train personnel don't object. 

Spokane is a long stop and if you want to get out and walk around the station this is a good place.  Just don't get too far from the station because when they blow the whistle the train leaves. 

Whitefish is the first scheduled "smoke stop".  That term goes back to the old days when lots of people smoked but it was not allowed on the train.  Much of the time built in for the stop is to actually service the train but smoke stop sounds more impressive.  At any rate, I find that getting off the train and walking on solid ground is good for my legs and brain (you get used to everything moving and solid ground feels funny)

The train is in the mountains from before Whitefish and well into Montana.  Mariah Pass has a tall monument commemorating early explorers but you don't stop there.  The monument is on the south side of the tracks. From there the rails go downhill much of the time.

You should arrive in Havre about 1:30 in the afternoon.  It is a "smoke stop" and lots of work will be done to service the train.  In past trips the Snack car has offered meals (when ordered in advance) from a local eatery.  The cost is somewhere around $10 and it was a chicken dinner when we ordered it.  Cheaper than the Dining car and better than what is offered at the Snack Bar.  Just be aware that you need to speak with the attendant well in advance.  And maybe they won't be doing it this trip.  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU LEAVE THE HAVRE STATION AREA.  On a few trips some people have decided to check out what was available downtown (about 4-6 blocks) and missed getting back on the train. As I said in my earlier post, there is an old Locomotive on display near the west end of the station and we always check it out.

Lots of people claim the ride across Montana is desolate and horrible, but I find it to be beautiful.  Watch carefully for wildlife.  Typically you can see antelope and on occasion we have even seen a wolf.  Your route follows highway 2 across the north of the state and small streams are everywhere. 
As you near Williston, you will be in Oil country.  Watch for the trailers where the many workers now live at high rental rates.  I've heard that MacDonalds pays $15 per hour for starting wage.  On the south side of the tracks you might get a glimpse of the huge loading circle where oil cars are loaded.  I was told that the circle holds 100 cars so the train can be loaded before taking out for the main line.

Minot, ND is another "smoke stop" and I have always enjoyed the hill country you go through before arriving in Minot.  It is usually better viewing on the way back west due to the time of day.

St Paul / Minneapolis is the biggest station you will stop in between Portland and Chicago, but not that big.  You will have a good chance to walk around the yard here, but again, don't go too far.

From Red Wing to LaCrosse, WI is yet some more fantastic scenery.  You are riding the rails along the Mississippi River with what is called Lake Pepin where the river gets very wide.  You will be able to view at least one of the locks on the river where barges are raised from one level to another.  The bridge crossing of the Mississippi is worth watching carefully.  The train goes slowly and you get some unique views of the river.  It is totally safe.

Crossing Wisconsin has its own unique scenery but I enjoy it as well.  Once you get to Glenview you are basically in Chicago and will have city on both sides.  If you look carefully you will get a glimpse of the Hancock Building and the Sears Tower (excuse me, it is now the Willis tower). 

The area around Union Station isn't very exciting but is generally safe.  We don't find food inside the station to be very pleasing but if you go out the Adams Street entrance there is a Corner Bakery that has acceptable food at reasonable price (at least for Chicago).

It sounds to me like you are leaving with the correct attitude - great scenery and meeting lots of interesting people.  With that objective I believe your trip will be fantastic.   We all look forward to hearing about your adventures.  I hope this lengthy post will help you enjoy the train ride.  It is one of my favorite train trips in this country. 

WmFritz

Heck, I'm enjoying the narrations of the train trip from you folks that have done them.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on July 15, 2015, 01:26:02 PM
I have never ridden a train.   :-\

You really should try it. Back when I had a job I went to Chicago occasionally for work and usually flew but I tried Amtrak and enjoyed the ride much better. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coalsmok

I have traveled a lot on trains but not the passenger kind.  I liked traveling on the rails.   It will take a little to get used to the constant rocking as your moving.

thecfarm

I went from Maine to Washington DC to visit the stepson. Nothing much to look at. And I was looking too. We was on a just about empty train on the way to DC,so I could jump from side to side and sit really anyways on the train,car.The way back there was a ball game in Boston,MA ,the train was packed. No jumping form seat to seat,but it was dark than too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wesdor

Not sure when you are leaving but I bet it is soon.  Wishing you a great trip and better Pig Roast. Wish I was going to be there. 

A final thought about your train trip - with all the forest fires in Glacier, you should see some great clouds in that area.  Living in Oregon, you should see them on occasion- at least there are a few good things that happen as a result of first fires.

It's a long trip to Chicago so enjoy the scenery and the people you will meet on the train.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wesdor

Thanks.  Didn't see that thread. He went through Glacier area Monday morning.

Log rite and Jeff put together a great prize. I'm sure he will enjoy the trip and the pig roast.  There will be lots of adventures to share.  One of these years I hope our family reunion is on a different weekend so I can attend the pig roast.

Thank You Sponsors!