iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment... Grease Gun Recommendation

Started by wfcjr, July 14, 2015, 05:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

I know that this is not strictly forestry related, but figured it may be best forum
because of folks who are constantly using heavy equipment.

Have a more or less standard grease gun that we use around the place.
But with addition of heavier equipment, need a heavier duty, higher quality grease gun.

Anyone have any recommendations on make & model for a grease gun that will do good
service on excavators & dozers.  Would strongly prefer made-in-USA over others.

Thanks...

1270d

I have an alamite 2 speed that works fine

OH logger

2 speed lithium ion maybe 20 volt (biggest they got) Lincoln that works better than any I have ever had. I think the lithium battery is the answer. I rarely use it in high though to conserve battery power ;)
john

beenthere

What is the "fail" of the "more or less standard grease gun" that it won't work for heavy equipment?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wfcjr

Quote from: beenthere on July 14, 2015, 07:42:24 PM
What is the "fail" of the "more or less standard grease gun" that it won't work for heavy equipment?

Capacity, stroke & quality.

Pistol grip, short stroke gets old real fast when hitting all the fittings.

Not only for the heavy equipment, but also for the attachments for both the excavator & tractor.
When we only had a few attachments, it wasn't too bad.   Now if I decide to have a "PMCS Grease Party", there is a lot more work to do, lots more fittings & lots more grease.

Ford_man

I have a Milwaukee It has a setting dial that will let it shoot up to I think 15 shots per 1 pull on the trigger it has a long hose (3 ft) and a light , it also has a sling to carry it on you're shoulder. I would get another one if the need would come up.

redneck

I have been using a 12 v lincoln grease guns for 8 years now on a daily basis on heavy equipment they are a little pricey but i will never pump by hand again.  A co-worker of mine has the 18v lincoln gun  pumps faster in high gear but battery does not last.  In the winter i keep the grease batteries and gun in the cab to keep warm, no good when cold
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

treeslayer2003

allimite lever and a milwaukee 18 volt. i like this power grease gun alot. i never got much service from lincoln whether hand  or power.

brendonv

I have a milwaukee. I think ive charged it half dozen times in a few years. Use it weekly on two trucks, chipper, log loader, etc. love it
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Ken

Just recently bought another Milwaukee 12V.  Bought one back in the spring but apparently someone else wanted it more than me and it disappeared from a work truck.  Also have an Alemite.  Have had several Lincolns but am unconvinced they will stand up to everyday hard use.  Will see how these other models compare.  Battery operated grease guns are worth their weight in gold.  Much easier to ensure that enough grease gets to pins as opposed to hand pumping.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jhenderson

No matter what gun I use, Lincoln 12v or hand operated , the best thing I ever did was buy a LocknLube coupler. Doesn't leak,doesn't fall off, and can be removed from over pressurized fittings one handed. Looks expensive until you grease a machine or two.

wfcjr

Quote from: Jhenderson on July 14, 2015, 09:17:06 PM
No matter what gun I use, Lincoln 12v or hand operated , the best thing I ever did was buy a LocknLube coupler. Doesn't leak,doesn't fall off, and can be removed from over pressurized fittings one handed. Looks expensive until you grease a machine or two.

Looks pretty neat.  Any experience with that bucket/pump grease gun looking gizmo on their website?

Woodhauler

milwakee is the only way to go! Owned the rest and gave the away!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

jwilly3879

X2 on the Lock-n-lube. I have had one for over a year and love it.

sprucebunny

Recently got a Milwaukee 12V to replace a Lincoln.Couldn't find replacement batteries. Like it much better. I feel I have control of how much grease is being pumped instead of feeling like the grease seals were going to blow out.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

barbender

Milwaukee has become the preferred grease gun on our crews, especially the 18 volt. I am still running a 12 volt Alemite that won't die, good gun but the batteries are shot. They won't hold a charge, so I have to keep the them on a charger in the machine. Replacements are too expensive for a gun on it's last legs, so when they completely quit I will get a Milwaukee or Dewalt. It's a bonus to have a battery platform that you can easily get replacements for, and you can use for other tools as well.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

I've got two 14.4 Lincolns.  They've been good.  The original batteries are long deceased and I got Chinese replacements which are better than the originals which were probably made in the factory.  I keep eyeing the 18V Milwaukee  ;) :) but the Lincolns are still running.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Have two Lithium Lincoln guns in the machines and hate them with a passion. One has been sent back under warranty like 3 times in the last year, and it still only works half the time.

Next one will be a Dewalt or Milwaukee

bushmechanic

I found the Lincoln to be an awful grease gun. It rarely worked and spent more time gone back for warranty than in the shop. The Alemite gun is perfect and runs constantly until the batteries just won't keep their charge. I have ran that alemite that long that it heated up so bad it wouldn't pump, let it cool down and away you go again. Had a Milwaukee seemed slow pumping but can't kill it.

huskyxp

I have 20v Dewalt that works great, battery life is Awesome and interchanges with other 20v tools they make! Very happy with it

Polish Hammer

The lincoln guns are junk the oring breaks inside the gun and plugs the grease gun hose, of course a standard hose wont fit and you have to buy the expensive replacement hose. The dewalt 20 volt lithium works great but the batterys dont like the cold at all.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

NWP

I love the 18 volt Dewalt I have. If you have rechargeable tools now and have enough batteries, you can buy the gun only reasonable. I have $150 or so for mine.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

4x4American

I too haven't had good luck with Lincoln lever guns.  Either pistol or long gun.  Best thing I like is to have a 3ft lead hose.  Where I work, we have 4 excavators, 4 dozers, 2 tri axle dump trucks, one 550 dump truck, 2 pay loaders, a backhoe, skidsteer, vibratory roller, a wmz lt 40 super diesel, firewood processor and a bunch of implements and other good stuff.  I am the guy who maintains everything.  And they won't buy me an electric grease gun!!!  I do alot of greasing...On top of it we use that Schaffer's 238 Moly Supreme, which is the thickest grease I have ever felt in my life.  Even in the hot summer months, the stuff is stringier elm..best grease IMO, but you gotta work that grease gun.  Pistol grip just don't do it for me.

A good couple tricks with grease guns, that you proberly already know, but maybe someone reading doesn't, when you go to change the tube, before you pull the stroker unit out, loosen the head a little bit, so that it can suck air.  It will be easier to pull, it will save that gasket from breaking off in there, and you'll have a better day.  Once you load the new tube, and you peel off the tin part, smear it around with the tin piece that came off, or your finger, so that it's nice and smooth around.  This will help make a seal faster, which will prime the gun faster.  Most times I don't use the primer I just prime it by not screwing it tight and pumping a bit, then tighten it up when it feels right.   ;)
Boy, back in my day..

maple flats

I have several assorted lever pump guns and a pistol grip Lube Shuttle. I have lost enough strength at my age that I have a hard time changing grease cartridges. Then I got a Lube Shuttle, a German made design that works great. Pricey but real nice to use. No plunger to pull, you just unscrew a protective outer sleeve, remove that and then the grease tubes screw on. No priming issues. One nice ting is you can even change tubes from one grease to another type if needed with no mess changes. But I also got a DeWalt 20V grease gun. I can't compare it with any other, because this is my first powered grease gun. I use it with a Lock-n-lube coupler. Now greasing is easy. The DeWalt has a long hose (3'?), couple the lock-n-lube onto the zerk and squeeze the trigger. So I don't need to load grease by pulling the plunger, I use a bulk load fitting and a bulk manual pump. I only generally have a few pieces of equipment to grease, 2 tractors, an excavator and an assortment of farm implements and I rarely grease more than maybe the bigger tractor/FEL and the excavator at the same session. Easy now, and one hand operation much of the time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

nativewolf

Alemite Grease Gun

Last grease gun you will ever need.  Just amazing, better balance than dewalt and the other.  Expensive and worth every penny.  Keeps a charge forever- maybe charge 3 times a year.  No jamming, no fuss, easy to load and an idiot can use it (I even use it).  Takes all the pain away from greasing.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!