iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suspenders

Started by brendonv, July 13, 2015, 09:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Can anyone recommend a good wuality set of suspenders for work?

Would prefer y back with clips not buttons.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Piston

I just bought a pair of Carhartt 2" suspenders with metal clips, based on a friends recommendation earlier today.  I can't say if they're good or not buy he likes them. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Gary_C

The clips don't hold as well as the buttons, but you have to buy the pants with the buttons on or sew them on yourself. If you are active with the clips, they will slip off at the worst times.

I never saw much difference in brands of suspenders. They all use the same type and style of clips and none will hold as well as buttons.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

I got away from clips.. and found the same as Gary_C. Much more secure with the buttons.

But your experience may vary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Howdy

I wear the Carhart suspenders with the Clips and can confirm they often slip off.  I like the quality of the 2" Carhart's but the clamp on clips are not very stable.  I am seeking suspenders that have the hooks for belt loops.  I would use buttons but think they would brother me some.

Raider Bill

I hope to never wear clipped suspenders again. It's hard to look cool with a suspender end flapping around. It is a pain in the to keep reattaching them, if the pants don't have buttons I install bacholar buttons which you pop on with a hammer. Duluth Traders have them.

I also have a couple pair that have holders that go around the belt loops. They would be more for dress/casual than hard work [not that I do any hard work but if I did...]

I've found that the bigger my belly gets the more I like suspenders especially for riding.

These are the clips for belt loops
http://www.suspenderstore.com/leather-suspenders-western-hand-tooled.html
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

g_man

I am trying to figure out how to put suspenders on my chaps. Does anybody do that ?? If so how doed it work out ?  I don't have enough butt to hold my chaps up and hate having them tight especially in the hot weather. I am thinking about trying clips on the chaps but didn't like them on my regular pants and think they might be worse on chaps.

Ron Scott

As stated, the buttons, especially the metal type work better and are more reliable than the clips. If you get a pair, get the heavy duty ones made for construction and woods workers.
~Ron

Peter Drouin

Quote from: g_man on July 14, 2015, 11:33:07 AM
I am trying to figure out how to put suspenders on my chaps. Does anybody do that ?? If so how doed it work out ?  I don't have enough butt to hold my chaps up and hate having them tight especially in the hot weather. I am thinking about trying clips on the chaps but didn't like them on my regular pants and think they might be worse on chaps.

Clip them on the front of the chaps and the back of your pants. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

luvmexfood

I wear the clip on suspenders on my chaps. They do on occasion come loose but not much. Only way I can keep them up. Just regular ones from Lowes.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

John Woodworth

Wright Enterprises, Onalaska, Wa. These are the best you can buy,the pair I'm wearing every day are over 11 years old now, the button holes in the back straps  are getting pretty worn but still do the job,don't worry about brand names these are the best you will ever buy.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ed_K

I put the loops from the back clips on the belt of the chaps and use the clips in front. they are a pain to put on tho.
Ed K

thecfarm

Labonville sells the bachelor buttons,part # BB656,8 buttons per bag,$2.95
I wear suspenders,just the clip ones. Yes,they come unhooked at times,but not enough for me to buy the buttons ones. I clip my chaps on to my suspenders.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 14, 2015, 12:21:36 PM
Quote from: g_man on July 14, 2015, 11:33:07 AM

Clip them on the front of the chaps and the back of your pants. ;D

You are an absolute genius - I never thought of that  :D :D

Piston

Can you use the button type if your pants don't have buttons?  I'll be using them on goretex motorcycle pants that are fairly heavy, and I bet if the clips are going to give way, they will on these pants, but I'm hesitant to put any holes or sew anything on them and void the warranty on a $700 pair of pants!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Gearbox

Aerostich makes riding gear and there suspenders have a pin as well as grippers they work well on my Darien pants . Google them I spelled it right Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Piston

Quote from: Gearbox on July 14, 2015, 10:30:42 PM
Aerostich makes riding gear and there suspenders have a pin as well as grippers they work well on my Darien pants . Google them I spelled it right Gearbox

Recommend 1.5" or 2"? 
-Matt

Piston

Quote from: Piston on July 14, 2015, 10:39:45 PM
Quote from: Gearbox on July 14, 2015, 10:30:42 PM

Recommend 1.5" or 2"?

Nevermind, just placed my order for the 2".  I like pretty much anything from Aerostich so I'm sure I'll be happy with them.  I can still cancel my carhart order through amazon since it hasn't shipped yet. 
-Matt

g_man

Quote from: thecfarm on July 14, 2015, 09:06:28 PM
Labonville sells the bachelor buttons,part # BB656,8 buttons per bag,$2.95
I wear suspenders,just the clip ones. Yes,they come unhooked at times,but not enough for me to buy the buttons ones. I clip my chaps on to my suspenders.

Thanks Ray - I like the looks of those.

OneWithWood

I use my Wright Ent suspenders with buttons on my heavy double front jeans that I wear when I am falling and bucking all day (I still put on chaps over the jeans).  The Wright spenders will probably outlast me.
I wear clip on suspenders with my everyday workpants because I am loosing weight and the pants won't stay up with just a belt.  To prevent the clips from coming loose I clip to the top of the belt loops.  Seems to work.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

brendonv

The aerostich suspenders are made by hold up.  I like their patented clip and made in usa. Im prob going to try those.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

lumberjack48

I wore both, of coarse the button on type are better. But a guy always has a few jeans with no buttons. I always wore a 2" wide belt so i'd hook the clip ons on the belt. I had problems with them popping off, this really ticked me off. >:( I found when i bent the inner jaw with a pair of pliers, they didn't pop off anymore. They closed hard, and put big teeth marks in the belt, but stayed hooked. 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Straightgrain

I like using the surplus suspenders designed for wet weather gear.

They last for several years, they attach to the sides, they can be had for $1.00.

With a couple mods, they really pay for themselves. The clips can be removed and the tangs can be sewed directly to the trousers or chainsaw chaps. Or buttons can be added/used.

The cross-over point can be tacked with dental floss so it rides higher or lower between the shoulder blades.

I buy them by the dozen and get @3 years of continuous use out of them, then they can be cut and used for all kinds of strapping or tieing.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

trapper

I use the button type  Or the perry suspenders that have a plastic  clip that hooks on the belt. raider bill gave a link to the website.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Howdy

Howdy from Seaside Oregon, where the weather is wonderful and the grandsons are old enough that we can allow them to enjoy some freedom and not worry while on a family vacation.

Straightgrain, where do you find your suspenders? Sounds like a good deal to me. It's 3:45 am and I need something to think about besides going to the Pigroast.

luvmexfood

If you do use clip ons clip the front on the chaps just below belt. I had been clipping on the belt itself but have an issue with the chap covering seperating from the belt.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

whitepine2

Quote from: brendonv on July 13, 2015, 09:47:34 PM
Can anyone recommend a good wuality set of suspenders for work?

Would prefer y back with clips not buttons.
L L BEAN last for years and clips are strong. Have been using
them for years best ones have tried most of the others but don't
hold up as good as Bean's.

4x4American

Another one for buttons.  You can get button rivets from Bailey's for pretty cheap.  All you do is hammer them in.  Most of my work pants have buttons.  Buttons can be annoying if you are driving alot, cause they dig in.  Clips don't hold well enough in my experience. 
Boy, back in my day..

clww

I've been using a pair of the button-type ones for the past three years that I bought on-line from Gustafson Logging. They were on the first couple seasons of "Acts Men", but don't hold that against the suspenders. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

pwrwagontom

I've been using "Walking Boss" for a few years.  They have the alligator clip ends, and are made in VT.

No complaints, seem to be pretty rugged.

-T
Never give an inch

1270d

try http://betterspenders.com/.  they have some that snap to belt loops with brass snaps.

Straightgrain

Quote from: Howdy on July 21, 2015, 06:50:45 AM

Straightgrain, where do you find your suspenders? Sounds like a good deal to me. It's 3:45 am and I need something to think about besides going to the Pigroast.

I got my last batch from Coleman Surplus. Enter M1950 Suspender in your search engine and you should get a ton of hits. The surplus store in Aloha has them too.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

4x4American

Quote from: 1270d on July 23, 2015, 06:51:39 PM
try http://betterspenders.com/.  they have some that snap to belt loops with brass snaps.
[/quote

beat me to it!  I have a pair and they r great!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!