iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Got My First Bill from a New Sawyer

Started by Glenn1, July 12, 2015, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

Welcome to the FF Sawmillwife! I hope you find it a wonderful tool for your business as I do.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Glenn1 on July 15, 2015, 09:16:14 PM
8'6" although I planned on trimming them to 8'.  I anchorsealed all the ends so I may just trim them straight and keep more lumber. 

Trim when you use them for a job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

welcome sawmillwife :)  sorry i forgot it earlier :-[
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Finn1903

Welcome SawmillWife
The community here is great and great conversations on processing wood of all sorts.   
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Finn1903

Glenn,
As said earlier you should come out ahead with the cherry and walnut. 
Another idea is to have the sweep cut through and through and leave the live edge.  not sure if that fit into your marketing plan, but give the end user some options.  Or to make a mantle piece. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Arkyrick

Just a quick question you mentioned cleaning the boards are you referring to cleaning off the sawdust from each cut board before stacking?
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Arkyrick.

I carry a wide sheetrock knife for the customer to clean boards with and I also have wire brushes available.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

I keep a framing square by the mill for rotating logs backwards and squaring them up to the deck, so I can be sawing in through a clean side.  I find it is a great tool for taking off wet sawdust as well. I hate wet sawdust on my boards.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2015, 01:18:17 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum Arkyrick.

I carry a wide sheetrock knife for the customer to clean boards with and I also have wire brushes available.

The wire brush I understand. What's the sheetrock knife for?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

Maybe I should have said sheetrock taping knife.  They are an excellent tool used for scraping sawdust from boards.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

Oh, and a broom with a broken handle too.

Happy for no reason.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2015, 02:40:40 PM
Maybe I should have said sheetrock taping knife.  They are an excellent tool used for scraping sawdust from boards.  ;D
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Yes, they are very fast and do a good job, I like the 12 inch wide. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

framing square works good too but its not "proper"
Boy, back in my day..

East ky logging

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

deadfall

Quote from: 4x4American on July 17, 2015, 06:16:25 PM

But if you're left handed you can just flip it over.

Happy for no reason.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on July 14, 2015, 01:58:57 PM

The walnut and cherry boards member glenn1 was having sawn for him are likely not available at a Lowes...

If it was, it would be all dressed, clear and kilned for $6 bucks a running foot ($12/bf), 6" wide, 8' long. They want as much for a hardwood board in those places as a saw mill would give for a whole log (50 bf).  And I mean $900/th kind of logs, not junk. It's about $45 bucks here for a sugar maple board.   ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4x4American

Quote from: deadfall on July 17, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on July 17, 2015, 06:16:25 PM

But if you're left handed you can just flip it over.

unless you're using a metric square then you have to be right handed or ambidextrous
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!