iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Got My First Bill from a New Sawyer

Started by Glenn1, July 12, 2015, 10:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I found a new sawyer who charges $50 per hour.  I sent him walnut, cherry, and poplar and they were nice clean logs.  Depending on the scale, I sent 952 bf by Doyle or 1360 bf by the Int'l standard.  The logs ranged from 10" to 14" with one 17".

He have me a bill for $1100.  >:(  That comes out to almost 90 cents per bf!  I was expecting his $50 per hour charge to get me around 120 bf per hour. 

Can I get some opinions.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Blackgreyhounds

That's way too pricey.  Find a new sawyer or get a price/bf next time.

Magicman

:o  I had to delete what I first wrote.   I have no idea what your agreement was with the "sawyer" but a serious conversation is in order.  22 billed hours to saw ~1200 bf is seriously wrong or he is charging for much more than sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

If I'm custom sawing someone's logs at my place I charge $0.30/bdft for softwoods and $0.35/bdft for hardwoods...so to me, he seems wayyy high!

Need more details though, is he setup on your site, did you bring the logs to his place, what was your agreement, did you sign a contract? etc etc
Boy, back in my day..

uler3161

Wow. I don't cut much hardwood here in Idaho, but even I know that is crazy. Wow. Is this guy new to sawing? The only way I'd ever send a bill that large is if the logs had nails every foot.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Glenn1

I brought the logs to his place.  I did bring my own stickers so he could stack with them.  I also left my trailer for him to stack. 

The trees came from a large tract where where I don't think one nail exists.  It was very rural. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Glenn1

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
:o  I had to delete what I first wrote.   I have no idea what your agreement was with the "sawyer" but a serious conversation is in order.  22 billed hours to saw ~1200 bf is seriously wrong or he is charging for much more than sawing.

I'd love to hear what you first wrote.  I am very aggravated to say the least.  How is anyone supposed to make a profit with prices like these?

deadfall

Could be you are making his mill payment and boat payment with moorage too.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

If it took him 22 hours, then the bill is correct. You agreed to pay $50 per hour. Maybe he saws fast but stickers lumber slow. Or saws slow, and stickers slow too.
From your earlier posts, you had a very particular set of guidelines for sawing your logs. Maybe that made the job more tedious and quite slow, being he's a new sawyer.

Best suggestion would be to find a different sawyer.

Not much recourse unless you know he didn't spend the 22 hours as he said. As I see it. 

Did you explain to the new sawyer how many bdft you estimated using Doyle and Int'l rules, and that the logs should yield about 1300 bdft of lumber? Or maybe not?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gideon_70

Quote from: beenthere on July 13, 2015, 12:04:43 AM
If it took him 22 hours, then the bill is correct. You agreed to pay $50 per hour. Maybe he saws fast but stickers lumber slow. Or saws slow, and stickers slow too.
From your earlier posts, you had a very particular set of guidelines for sawing your logs. Maybe that made the job more tedious and quite slow, being he's a new sawyer.

Best suggestion would be to find a different sawyer.

Not much recourse unless you know he didn't spend the 22 hours as he said. As I see it.

Honestly, if he's a new sawyer, he's going to be really slow.  He might even be on here, trying to figure out how much to charge!  I would talk to him and let him know that he's way way way above going rate, and see what he says.
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

YellowHammer

Quote from: Glenn1 on July 12, 2015, 11:09:39 PM
I'd love to How is anyone supposed to make a profit with prices like these?
I don't know, seems like he is doing alright.
Time to talk to him and find out why the bill was so high.  Also, shift over to your other sawyer. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Percy

FRom your numbers, my guzzintas say he got you around 1250 bdft.Even if he had to powerwash all the logs and metal detect them, it seems unreasonably pricey...Im wondering ifn I could come work for you :D .....you pay high :D so high you could hunt ducks with a rake.... :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SawyerBrown

So when you say "new" sawyer, do you mean new to sawing or new to you?  (Or both?)

If he's new to sawing (and you knew that), then agreeing to an hourly rate was probably not a good idea in the first place, since he's probably still on the steep part of his learning curve. 

Certainly that would be a ridiculous price for "sawing", but he's doing a lot more than that, isn't he?  (Loading, sawing, off-loading, stacking/snickering, disposing of flitches, etc).

The other thing I'm wondering about is the huge difference between Doyle and International, which suggests a lot more small logs than bigger.  It takes a lot of 10" logs to get that many total bf!  (I have a special name for logs less than 12" -- it's called "firewood" ...). Also, were they reasonable length, or were there some 4'-ers in there?

So while my first impression was "Holy Smokes!!", I'd need more info to say he's way out of line (which still may be the case).

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

beenthere

Might help understand better by reading up on some of the background Glenn1 posted in another post.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84429.msg1290586.html#msg1290586

May or may not have anything to do with it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SLawyer Dave

I have no experience with the pricing to have an opinion, but as a business attorney, my advice is always to talk with the guy to see where he is coming from.  While it is probably too much to believe it was just a mistake on pricing, sometimes you need to question a bill.  If he advertised $50 an hour, then have him explain how this took 22 hours.  Get as much information as you can, so that you can determine your best course of action.

bkaimwood

Did he also clean the boards one by one as stickered, and wax the ends?
bk

Bruno of NH

Stacking and stickering is not for free at my mill .
I tried it that way and I'm not doing it for my sawing price it's extra .
Just my 2 cents
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

The sticking is where your money is . It takes just as long to do that is cutting the logs.
Next time tale the mill and you will see  and save some money.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Seaman

Sorry you hit a bump in the road,Go see the fella and have conversation about it.
I'm also thinking it's the wood handling that got you. It can double your time spent on a log, and those were not real big logs. My first thought is you paid him .45 a bf for sawing and .45 a bf for stickering and stacking. You might want to go offbear next time ;)
My two cents for what it is worth. Hope it all works out to be a good relationship!
Frank 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

If the new guy has a manual mill, coupled with inexperience, log handling time (for a lot of small logs), and the time spent to clean boards and sticker, I can see where it would take him 22 hours.

His milling time was probably only 1/3 of his total time.  Log handling another 1/3 and stickering the third third. 

You will save $ by stickering yourself, and using a miller with a hydraulic mill.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Something is missing.  You added the bit about stickering the lumber on the trailer which added labor, but no matter what, 22 hours is too long to do an 8 hour maximum job.  What were the log lengths?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Glenn,

Sorry for the "sticker shock". As mentioned above I'd talk with him and ask what drove the price so high. By the way how many bf did he actually produce. You mentioned diameters but what about lengths? Short logs take longer to saw also because of extra handling.

I charge $60/hr when I use an hourly rate for special cuts and such but last time I sawed hourly the customer was stacking and was there the whole time so he never batted an eye when I handed him the bill.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Glenn1

The logs were all 8'6" in length.  The sawyer has been doing this for a around 4 years so he is not new in the industry.  Just new to me.

He told me that if he was going to saw my logs in between his other jobs.  He also said that if he flat stacked the boards, they could get mold if they sat for a few days until I could pick up the entire load.  Based on what he said, I brought him 200+ kiln dried stickers.

The downside was I gave him mostly logs with a diameter of 10-14 inches.  All the logs had anchorseal from the logger who cut them.

Glenn1

First he cut the poplar that I will be using for skids.  It sat for 3-4 days until he could get to the walnut and cherry.  Was he correct that the poplar could get mold if it was flat stacked without stickers?

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!