iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shimming 440B Deere front axle pivot

Started by grassfed, July 12, 2015, 06:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

I need to put a shim in my front axle pivot to reduce endplay. Does anyone have any tips for pulling out the pin? I can use the blade to raise the front but I am not sure how to block the axle and frame so the pin comes out easily. I am going to try raising the machine and then use a floor jack on the differential while I pull on the pin...but how the heck do I pull on the pin; there is nothing to grab on to. I might weld something to the end if there are no better ideas. I might just make a horseshoe shaped shim for the time being and tack is to the other shims. Any advice/ideas?
Mike

bushmechanic

Is there a threaded hole in the end of the pin? If so you can use a slide hammer to pull it out. You may have to use hydraulic jacks to get the pin lined up for removal.

beenthere

Locate the pivot in jdparts.com (free registration) and see the schematic with parts numbers and description.
Determine if it is a broken bolt or pin you are dealing with.

Just need to enter the model 440B
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grassfed

QuoteIs there a threaded hole in the end of the pin?
There is a shallow hole but there aren't any threads. I will probably tack weld a bolt there and use a slide hammer. For now I am just going to cut 2 horseshoe shaped shims from thick sheet metal, put them in from either side and tack weld them together. That will take the play out so I can get back to pulling wood now that it is finally dry here. The axle slid back and forth and made a awful knocking noise when I drove on the slight uphill, smooth, dirt road to my house. I thought it was something expensive broken in the differential or planetaries. I am just glad it is something simple that can be fixed for under $10 worth of parts 8) . Thanks beenthere I have definitely "beenthere" on jdparts; I practically live there sometimes :D
Mike

teakwood

I dont know how similar my 540A is to you machine. Just raise the machine and lower the axle (4 big bolts on the front support and 4 big bolts on the back support, disconect drive shaft) I lowered mine with an A frame and some chain pulleys. you just lower the axle 2", no need to disconect brake line and lock line, and the front support comes out very easy with the pin attached and you can shim it. A little laborous but quit easy to do
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

grassfed

Thanks teakwood. I made a horseshoe shim for a temporary fix and it is working really well. I am going to do what you suggest this fall when I take the skidder off line for some maintainence. Unfortunately I still heard some of the knocking noise when I drove the skidder down the road. It turns out that my 4-7 gear is going bad. I hope the shaft is ok. All of the other gears are fine so I am just avoiding that gear. I have another transmission so I will swap them in the fall and fix that problem.
Mike

teakwood

7 gear i never use but 4 is quit important to me. every slop i come down on the trails i made in fourth gear. 3 is very slow and 5 wont hold the load

grassfed

I don't have the power of a 540 so 4 is kind of high for pulling loads unless it is flat or downhill. It tends to be pretty rough terrain here so I usually skid in 2 or maybe 3. I did use 4 to return across fields. and I used 7 to run up the road; I use 6 for roads now. It is not as bad as I thought. and I really don't think it is costing me any productivity. I am much more limited by my age and my bad hip :D 
Mike

teakwood

So you better take it slow. I am 33 and sometimes i need to slow myself down so i dont get hurt or damage the machine. Slowly but steady. I already think like older folks. I think its a very important lesson that every young has to learn eventually!

Thank You Sponsors!