iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade edger/trimmer/rip saw/chop saw

Started by Kbeitz, July 11, 2015, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

About a eight or ten inch tall one will work, dont know how a long one will work, it might. the reason i mentioned  about the kick back as i have been right next to a guy that got killed . when a flitch rode up and came right back into his chest. killing him, and another guy got crippled the same way.   so that said , a riving knife or splitter and anti kickback hold downs would be a good idea. just dont want my new friends getting hurt.

hackberry jake

I have contemplated something similar to this but using a large bandsaw instead. I missed an opportunity on a 36" industrial bandsaw a couple weeks ago. He wanted $130 for it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

5quarter

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 16, 2015, 06:16:08 PM
... I missed an opportunity on a 36" industrial bandsaw a couple weeks ago. He wanted $130 for it.
I need to move to Arkansas... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Kbeitz

Safety will be addressed on this machine... I'm to old to get hurt...
And I really appreciate any and all ideas or suggestions.

Today I worked all day on the slide table. Looks like it will take at least another day of work just on that.
First picture the table is in... second picture it out. Third picture is the liner bearings.
Top of the table is not built yet.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Can anyone one tell me what this blade was used for or whats it's good for.
I'm hoping I can use it. It looks like it has negative angle or rake.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Looks like this might be a great blade for this spot.
I found this from google...

negative tooth angle to help prevent saws from self-feeding.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

I had one similar that my sharpener guy changed somewhat the last time he ground it.  I'm betting it was just for buzzing firewood too. I'd say it's for crosscut.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Alligator

My best guess is those teeth originally looked like this. I can't imagine a saw filed like that cutting, just gnawing wood.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

beenthere

Good rendition of what the teeth may have started out like when saw was new.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishfighter

OP, please be extra careful. Saws like that scare the livin hell out of me due to that is how one of my grandpaws got killed. Piece of the blade broke off, hitting him in the head.

Kbeitz

Well I'll let you all know how it works out. I'm going to give the blade a try.
I'm pretty good at sharpening things so if it work half way I think I can make it work...
I looks like it will be a few weeks before I get this thing done.
I got lots of work to do on it yet.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Alligator

Quote from: beenthere on July 18, 2015, 03:13:53 AM
Good rendition of what the teeth may have started out like when saw was new.
Every trim saw we had was this type of solid tooth saw. We had 25 - 30 of them. I could do a decent job of sharpening them. We had a saw filer that could make razor from those tips. I learned from him. He had Coke bottle bottom glasses, he filed by feel.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

deadfall

I bought a brand new Foley-Belsaw Sharp-All, still in the case, 15 miles away from Craigslist last year for a fraction of the new price.  Durn it, I need to get that shop building up.  I've run out of room to store stuff.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

almost got the slide table finished today....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I picked up this Honda at the junkyard yesterday.
Started second pull. The only thing I found wrong with it was a oil soaked air cleaner.
Runs great. So for now it's going to be my power plant.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I love this old Lincoln Weldenpower welder.
It's helping me out today because this saw is way to far from the shop to use my normal welder.
It's an oldie but goodie.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BHC

my father had something similar years ago for edging or splinting but it was set up with a track and a light table that the boards set on, if i remember right it had peg holes for each inch so to keep boards square. I know it would take a 8 ft 6x6 and cut it into boards, that is the only thing i ever see it used for, almost like a bolter but longer table.
For cutting  off we had wooden framed swing saws, and almost think that would be better, but i know the safety police will say that is a no no but a lot of guys used them there whole life and never got hurt on them!  I thought about setting up a swing saw using a  big miter saw blade which would give you 5 inch deep cut.
There was also a big cast iron table saw, 4ft by 8ft with a 18inch blade or so that was used to split boards into clapboards, no i never remember any guards or hold downs but am sure that could have used some, that table saw had i think 5 hp tecumseh engine on it, but was geared up or down with flat belts.
I think you need to be thinking about blade speeds now.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

Kbeitz

The one big main reason I'm building this is to cut 45 angles from 8x8's
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

I don't see that potential built into your design, but am sure you have it in your head. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Quote from: beenthere on July 19, 2015, 09:25:21 PM
I don't see that potential built into your design, but am sure you have it in your head. ;)
Most of the 45's will be on short 2 foot longs.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

The Amish seen it and I sold it for more than I thought it was worth.
I thought I could buy a real one for what I got out of it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

JRWoodchuck

I hadn't looked at any of the dates on this post. I was just thinking in my head how in the world has he done all this and the lathe in the last couple weeks!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

btulloh

He probably completed four or five projects during the last couple weeks while he was working on the lathe.   ;D  Kb can start and finish a major fabrication while I'm trying to find my glasses.   ::)
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!