iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

squirrel proof bird feeder

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 11, 2015, 12:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I'm sure a lot of you wage an ongoing war against the raiders of bird feeders.
this feeder has been in use for over 15 years now and the only time a squirrel gets on it is if i let the trees and other climbables get too close, then they jump on.
when they climb the 4x4 post they go into the 12" round galvanized duct and cant get onto the platform.
Specs are platform 24x24 with 1/8 inch mesh for the floor, duct 12" galvanized round.
Post treated 4x4 with platform 6 ft from ground.
Blocker on top of duct, treated lumber, I used a piece of  2x12 with side pieces to completely block the way and the platform mounts to the 2x10
I think i spent about 15 bucks to build this.
This past winter I was gone and my neighbor fed the birds, but the snow got so deep the squirrels jumped on the platform.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

thought I posted a pic but nooo
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

Squirrels get hungry too, plus they are opportunists.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnW

Well that's a tricky design for a tricky critter.

sprucebunny

Great design !
I'm going to try that.

Things got pretty intense around here but then I got a Rollerfeeder ( you will have to google it)
And started to encourage ermine to take care of the squirrels.

I tried making a larger version of the rollerfeeder but if big birds can get in, so can squirrels.... so the platform would fill the gap if I can find just the right place to put it...
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 11, 2015, 12:23:13 PM
thought I posted a pic but nooo

pete
There are a half dozen pics of the feeder in your gallery.. just don't delete the one posted. ;)

Maybe kept uploading them, rather than inserting from your gallery to your post.  Can we give you a hand?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I don't have to use a bird feeder. They steal all they want from my dogs dishes. I've seen my Rat Terrier in his little house with the dish one foot away and birds stealing his food. I don't mind the redbirds, small birds and occasional woodpecker but I despise the blue jays and grackles and once in a while a crow.

I need to figure out how to keep the squirrels out of my apple tree in front of the house. Noticed this week ever single apple is gone. Squirrels were getting leftover walnuts and decided they wanted apples instead. Mostly a couple of fox squirrels. I still have 2 bigger trees in the pasture with plenty of apples but they may get them too. I think they got most of them last year. No reason to put anything on trunk as they are close enough to other trees to jump from tree to tree. Could even jump from the power/cable lines as they run them periodically too.

I periodically aggravate strange women in grocery and department stores by stopping to look at big bags of bird seed and commenting "25 lbs of bird seed for $2.79. That's cheaper than cat food." Then walk away and by the time they figure out I am putting cats (I don't have any left actually) on the self help plan they get irate about it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 11, 2015, 12:22:20 PM
I'm sure a lot of you wage an ongoing war against the raiders of bird feeders.

That's me, but I take all orders from the Head Bird Feeder.  She directed me to put up a similar pole mount.  That made the songbirds an easy target for all the hawks in the neighborhood.  I thought it pretty cool...she didn't.

Now all bird feeders hang from cedar tree branches.  Feeders hang from heavy metal chain.  Squirrels have learned how to twist the chain with feeder attached around the branch so the seed falls out.  And our coons are not a bit skeered of attacking the feeder in broad daylight.  I saw two hanging from a feeder the other day.

I'm supposed to be on the lookout for new feeders.  I was in Lowes last week and saw a guaranteed squirrel proof model for a measly $100.  While I was looking another shopper pulled down three and put them in his cart.  I haven't told the General about these and don't think I will. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Larry,

Reminds me of the youtube video of the cadet at West Point a year or so back who caught a mouse in his dorm room. Kept it in a waste basket till he got to a big open park videoed the release. A hawk immediately swooped down and grabbed the mouse. I nearly fell out of my seat laughing at them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

curdog

Growing up we would have a bird feeder on one of the shepherds hook hangers and dad would take the grease gun and coat the pole. As long as it wasn't near a tree it worked good.

petefrom bearswamp

Ron, thanks for posting my pic.
I think the mistake i made was leaving photo program open and it kept going to that when I hit browse.
I have posting instructions at my other computer and will read them again.
Larry, I made one for my daughter in law and put a roof over it, solved the hawk thing
Don't seem to have that problem here at my place.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

When you go to the posting program, click on the menu tab "My Gallery" and that way you will not see the "browse" button.
The browse button is used to upload another photo from your computer, which is apparently what you did several times.  ;)
Hope that helps...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

Now wrap a copper wire around the post and hook the wire to to a solar fence charger and the ground to the duct . I use that to keep the raccoon's at bay . In the night you hear click click THUMP. Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 12, 2015, 06:58:14 AM
Larry,

Reminds me of the youtube video of the cadet at West Point a year or so back who caught a mouse in his dorm room. Kept it in a waste basket till he got to a big open park videoed the release. A hawk immediately swooped down and grabbed the mouse. I nearly fell out of my seat laughing at them.

I remember seeing that video!  ;D   It's here on the Forestry Forum somewhere!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Wick

Timber Harvester 30HT25

Buckshot00

Thank You Sponsors!