iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane cleanup

Started by 9shooter, September 16, 2004, 05:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

Are any of you guys working on the hurricane cleanup? The log truckers are leaving the UP in droves for Florida to haul wreckage. I've heard of some company called something like Oxny Special Services hiring these truckers, anyone heard of them?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Fla._Deadheader

Nope. Diesn't mean much though. I'm usually the last to hear of anything.

If these guys are not certifiable and licensed in whatever state they are from, they probably won't get into Fl.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

9shooter

Do you mean by certifiable that they have to be nuts??? :D Perhaps you mean are they insured and carry comp? Do you mean do they have the right CDL endorsments?

Fla._Deadheader

How long you been hanging around here ??? I NEVER know what I mean. ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Noop. Like FDH said, you gotta be licensed for tree removal AND meet Florida's Workmen's Comp and Insurance specs, or contract with someone who will provide that for you. The big outfits like Asplund, etc will be working most of it, as well as the locals. Florida don't take too kindly to gold diggers(except for FDH, of course).  You've no doubt heard of all the gun racks in the 4wd trucks down here? Well, there's a couple of chainsaws in the tool box of all them trucks, too.

The only exception to the above is for roofing contractors. You listening, ck?  Gov Bush signed an order allowing out of state roofers to come in, as long as they are licensed in some state, and meet WC and Ins requirements.

My nephew went south with a truck and a chainsaw to "make some money" after Frances. He got chased out of town before he even shut the truck off. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

I guess I'll just stay around here.  Heck, if I went to Fla. I'd NEVER get caught up.  

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

I thought about shooting you a PM, but I figgered you'd have all you can do without leaving the great state of Missipissi. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Here I thought I would have the distinct pleasure of having the " Roof Perfessor" hep me fix my busted shangils. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
   First, it is ridiculed;

9shooter

I know the timberman's assc. has been advertising and putting people in contact with the cleanup companies. For sure, Asplundh is one of them. My brother-in-law is signing up today to go down. He is an owner-operator log hauler and he has been pestering my to join him. Also for sure, I won't saddle the truck until I have a contract in hand. But I agreed to let him sign me up today. My day job is going to be reduced by 2 of the remaining 3 months for this year so I just might be a loose ends.

DanG

Hey, Shooter, if you're signed up with a legit outfit with their credentials in order, come on down. Just keep a few things in mind. This is not a logging operation. Most of the problem trees are either on top of, or inside of houses. Most of the others are in very confined spaces, such as back yards, etc. Most of the work involves climbing on roofs and cutting the stuff up into small pieces and carrying it to the curbside. The ideal vehicle would be a bucket truck, a crane truck, or a self-loading trash dump. A non-loading dump would be good, too, if you have a wheeled loader following a fleet of them.  A VERY small percentage of these trees will be retrieved in condition to be usable timber. That's a shame, but that's the way it is.  I'm not sure I would drive a semi-trailer log truck all the way down here for this. If you can get a self-loading straight truck, you'd be a lot better off.

9shooter

How would a 40 yrd. dump with a grapple work? ;D

DanG

DonE911

There are a heck a .lotta yahoo's down here working on some big companies Ins. and Comp.

My brother is a welder by trade ( out of work due to the storms)  They brought him 3 ( of 6 total ) trailers that needed to be "repaired"  

They are standard lawn maint. type tandem axel trailers. They have this rickety azz box built on them out of 1/4 angle with mdf screw'd to it....  seems they are loading them with debris and taking them to a burn site where a back hoe empties them out....  the hoe pushes the rickety box around and digs holes int he planking. When they get so bent up the DOT cops tell them to fix it or they cant haul anything else.  "fix" means square it back up and weld a few more braces until the hoe ripps them out.  

These boys are making about $1400 a day doing this.  

Its scary that they are out on I-95 running 80 mph plus with a trailer that is dbl overloaded with this rickety box welded to it.  

Ofcourse they are only hauling debris... not actually pulling it off anyones roof.... you need to "be safe" to that kind of work.

Rocky_J

DonE-
Don't you worry about those guys overloading those crappy trailers. Their scam is that they find brushy piles and then stand the brush up on end with the bushy part sticking out the top. They can make 200 lbs of brush look like a monster load (about half as much as I can stack in my Ranger pickup) and then they go collect their big $$$ ticket for it. They drive past any piles with logs in them, they sure don't want to pick up anything heavy.  ::)

Jeff

QuoteI know the timberman's assc. has been advertising and putting people in contact with the cleanup companies. For sure, Asplundh is one of them. My brother-in-law is signing up today to go down. He is an owner-operator log hauler and he has been pestering my to join him. Also for sure, I won't saddle the truck until I have a contract in hand. But I agreed to let him sign me up today. My day job is going to be reduced by 2 of the remaining 3 months for this year so I just might be a loose ends.

They have? I do thier website and aint heard nothing about that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DonE911

RockyJ

Thats what I thought also, about the small load in a big box... I heard that was a scam when FEMA decided to pay to have the all debris picked up after Charley hit the west coast.  In years past they would only pick up what was actually falling in the road. The boxes are being loaded from overhead with a claw truck.. its picking up whatever is in the pile.   The trailers are all taken over the scales when they are burning at the landfill... not sure about scales at other sites....

The guy said he has to turn in his scale ticket and trip count in order to get paid.    Course he could be ... well... not telling the complete truth.

Thank You Sponsors!