iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad story, some porcelain insulators embodied in a 42'' walnut log ...

Started by Dough_baker, July 11, 2015, 01:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dough_baker

Hello,   :-[

There is a 42'' walnut log, after milling 5'' from the bark, the saw blade meeted a hard and tough obstrution.

Then we used chainsaw to cut off to see what is inside, at last, we found a porcelain insulator...

We changed a new blade and move forward 8'' for another saw, but unfortunately, it meeted the second porcelain insulator near the first one. Someone said there are usually 3 porcelain insulators on a pole.

What a said story...

Could you give some advice on how to use this log ?

Thank you : )

Ianab

Not sure how long the log is, but I'd consider cutting out the middle section (for firewood) and then slab the 2 shorts into small table tops. Doesn't matter if they are only 4 ft long that way.

At least that way you get something of value out of it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

After first metal hit, log would come off mill.  I would remove insulator and nail.  Then would check with metal detector.  Depending on how many "hits" I get with the detector, I would, cut off amount of log needed to get metal free, use chainsaw and prybars to remove metal, or if too many "hits", junk entire log.
When sawing veneer mill rejects many years ago, I made a good bit of money off of their logs that had metal in them and other defects.  $300 bucks for entire truck load.  About 3000' at a time.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Scan it, remove what you find, and keep on sawing.  That log is worth another blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LUV2MILL

I'm guessing about 40 years ago a kid with a bucket of nails and a hammer got bored :-\

But the log wasn't a total loss :)

DMcCoy

Be careful with insulators.  They can have tension in them causing them to shatter.  I have a cousin who lost an eye due to one.

Magicman

Quote from: LUV2MILL on July 11, 2015, 09:24:14 AM
I'm guessing about 40 years ago a kid with a bucket of nails and a hammer got bored :-\
Same thing that any of us would have done.  For certain those nails were going somewhere.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Right on MM...as a I d I used to like to hammer nails into anything, with no purpose other than to hammer that poor defenseless nail in....nowadays, I leave that up to Bostitch!!
bk

Magicman

Often a customer will ask; "wonder how in the world that nail got in that tree"?  I just laugh and ask him "when he was 9 years old and had a hammer and a nail, didn't that nail get driven somewhere"?  They always laugh and admit that they were probably the one that put that nail there. 

Fact:  Boys don't put nails back in buckets.

Dough_baker

Quote from: Ianab on July 11, 2015, 03:19:18 AM
Not sure how long the log is, but I'd consider cutting out the middle section (for firewood) and then slab the 2 shorts into small table tops. Doesn't matter if they are only 4 ft long that way.

At least that way you get something of value out of it.

Hi Ianab,

this log is 9' long, and the insulators are in the middle of the length. Today, we finally sawed through this log, with 4 blade broken... :o

at last, a 10'' thick timber left, with many steel rebars and insulators in it. As you advised, if I cut off the middle section, I may can get some 4/4 board or small slab from this 10'' thick timber, rather than total loss.

Thank you:)

Dough_baker

Quote from: Cedarman on July 11, 2015, 07:09:52 AM
After first metal hit, log would come off mill.  I would remove insulator and nail.  Then would check with metal detector.  Depending on how many "hits" I get with the detector, I would, cut off amount of log needed to get metal free, use chainsaw and prybars to remove metal, or if too many "hits", junk entire log.
When sawing veneer mill rejects many years ago, I made a good bit of money off of their logs that had metal in them and other defects.  $300 bucks for entire truck load.  About 3000' at a time.

Hi Cedarman,

I am going to buy a metal detector  :snowball:

what is the strangest objects you have met when sawed log  ???

Dough_baker

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2015, 07:53:50 AM
Scan it, remove what you find, and keep on sawing.  That log is worth another blade.

Hi Magicman, thanks for your advice :)

Today we finally sawed through this log, with 4 blades broken in total, but it is worth.

A 10'' thick timber left, with many steel rebars and insulators in it:

anther saw met two 5/8 steel rebars  :'( broke two more blades.

Magicman, what is the strangest objects you have met when sawed log ?

cutterboy

Quote from: Dough_baker on July 12, 2015, 12:34:55 AM

anther saw met two 5/8 steel rebars  :'( broke two more blades.

[/quote]

WOW! That log just won't give up.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

deadfall

Buy a lotto ticket.  Your bad luck must be used up by now.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Quote from: Dough_baker on July 12, 2015, 12:34:55 AMMagicman, what is the strangest objects you have met when sawed log ?

My strangest metal was a section of T fence post completely embedded ~42' from the butt of a very large Pine log.

This is my souvenir after I sawed a block out.

deadfall

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

mart

My best friend had a big circle mill for years. He hit a big glass insulator buried in a log. He had just retoothed the blade. He said nothing ever made his saw scream like that insulator. Didn't do the new teeth much good either.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Cedarman

Weirdest was a hand wrought staple and gate hook.  Way deep and way old.
Lots of insulators.  Nice thing about an insulator is that you don't even think about reconditioning the blade.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DR Buck

Concrete is no fun either.   And, a metal detector won't find it.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

I've never hit concrete with the Woodmizer either, yet.  But I've hit it slabbing with the Lucas.  Yes, it's pretty ugly.  You won't be touching that chain up with a file.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dough_baker

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 20, 2015, 08:17:39 PM
Concrete is no fun either.   And, a metal detector won't find it.

How could be a piece of concrete in log!?  :o

Magicman

My tree service told me that he has seen them.  They are generally yard trees that had a knothole, etc filled with concrete, and smoothed over.  The tree can eventually grow over this knothole and seal the concrete inside.  He told me that it is rough on a chainsaw.  :-\

ncsawyer

Only hit a porcelain insulator once in a white oak.  I got lucky and hit it while cutting the last board.  Usually I am not that lucky.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Thank You Sponsors!