iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing pallet stock.

Started by McCormack, September 16, 2004, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCormack

First of all, thank you for all the information you folks are willing to share ;).

I met with a fellow who runs a local pallet shop who say he'll buy 4x cants off of me for about .28-.30/bf.
  Not knowing what the going rate is, I was hoping some of you pros might be able to point me in the right directon. Does this sound about right ???

Jeff McCormack

Bro. Noble

That would be a good price in our area for pallet cants.  You need to be sure that that is the best use of your wood,  however.  If you can get grade lumber,  RR ties,  fence boards etc,  they should return much better.  The pallet stuff is kinda the left over ,  bottom of the barrel stuff.

You probably know this,  but just in case ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

McCormack

Thank you for the response Bro. Noble.
Figures pallet cants would be the first market I stumble accross being the least valuable ::). Oh well I guess its a start.
How about RR ties? Is the market easy to access?
Whats the going rate for them?

Bro. Noble

We are fortunate to have plenty of buying yards in our area for grade lumber, ties,  and pallet stock.  Kind of a rough average of what we get per bdft.(for comparison ) is: Oak grade lumber 80 cents,  ties 38 cents,  and pallet stock (cut to size) 28 cents.  The grade lumber is 11/8 inch and scaled as 1 inch and the pallet stock is 5/8 and scaled as 3/4.  

Our prices aren't as good as a lot of areas and we don't get as much as you could selling to individuals,  but we sell all we can cut and get paid promptly without a fuss.  

Welcome to the forum by the way.  If you tell us a little about your stiuation,  perhaps we can be of better help.  There are probably others with similar set-ups and marketing opportunities.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi Noble
 ...so Im thinkin you are sayin you get $16.96 for a 7x9x8'6'' tie?   I f thats right ...it seems like they are really not lovin ya the way they should at the tie yard
prices for ties have been up around $21 - $23 for trailer load prices
 a
 Is it a buyers market in your area?
Ever think of cutting out 200 for a trailer load....or do you just cut a few incidental ones here and there? Just curious.....
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bro. Noble

Don,

Don't nobody love me nowhere the way they should :D :D

I was just trying to give Jeff M a comparison of ties and grade lumber prices compared to pallet stock.  We get about $20 for a 7X9 by 8'8"  but we also cut a few 6X8 for a lot less.  

We cut till we get a mixed load of grade lumber,  ties ,  and pallet stock then it gets hauled off.  We get paid to haul the ties  and I don't think it would be anymore for a trailer load.  We sell to two different companies depending on whether or not we are hauling pallet stuff.

Buzz-sawyer

Noble....just wanted to make sure they were treatn ya good  ;D ;D ;DJeff M  is gettn some good wisdom ;) Welcome :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

junkyard

All

Back in the early 60's local paper mill put in a chipper canter. Paid $1.00 each for tie logs. Good money for the time.
                               Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Ron Wenrich

We're getting about $350/Mbf for pallet cants.  For boards, we only get $280/Mbf.  Our boards are below grade lumber.  Ties are about $22 each for oak, and $1 less for other species.  I know of guys who saw just 1 or 2 bundles of ties and deliver them,

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!