iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roll log.... I say roll.... Ahhh... Much better....

Started by Kbeitz, July 08, 2015, 07:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I fought the log and the log one... For a while... Then I got smart...
Just an old car jack and part of an old cant hook...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tmarch

Great idea, wish I was clever enough to think of things like that. ;)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dustyhat

Magicman

Nice.  I would weld a bar (foot) on the bottom of the jack.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Looks like a good idea.  Plus I see in the second picture how to improve my scissor jack toe board. 
HM126

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2015, 08:44:15 PM
Nice.  I would weld a bar (foot) on the bottom of the jack.

I was going to but I don't see an antvantage... Working great the way it is and I don't want to add more weight.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I might weld a roller 1/4" roller pin bearing sharpened to a point on the red point of the jack.
I did grind a point on it allready and it's working good. But I think it will be a wear point.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 08, 2015, 08:55:11 PM
I was going to but I don't see an antvantage...
When you get a stubborn unbalanced log/cant on the sawmill and the bottom of the jack slips sideways you just might see the need.  I am always thinking safety.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

That was the first thing I was thinking MM. Once I get moving again, I'm have to build something to help me roll logs/cants on the mill.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 08, 2015, 07:07:41 PM
Just an old car jack and part of an old cant hook...

That is a clever re-purposing of an old bumper jack. I have had one for years in my barn - now I will find a way to use it around the mill.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ocklawahaboy

The only problem I see is that as you raise the jack, the point of the cant hook is pointing less and less to the center of the log.  I can see it tearing out of the log and having it flop back on you.  The cant hook is designed to have the opposing grip point at the end of the pole helping it maintain a constant angle relative to the log. 

You've completely changed the dynamic and are depending entirely on the hook remaining embedded in the one point.

With that said, it looks really cool and I would have never thought of it.  Nice job!

Chuck White

Pretty clever idea Kbeitz.

Another handy sawmill tool.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

If you ever have a problem with the hook tearing out and not working on a particular log, maybe a short chain with a hook on the end that you can slip on to your existing red "horn" part of your jack would be handy?  Take the chain/hook and go under the log up to the back side and hook it over onto the flat sawn part and it'll kind of parbuckle roll the log when you lift the jack.  I hope I explained that good enough and you can follow my questionable mind...  ::)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coalsmok

Guess I'm on the lookout for an old bumper jack now. Good idea for those without hydraulics and little help.

Sixacresand

Quote from: coalsmok on July 09, 2015, 01:56:24 PM
Guess I'm on the lookout for an old bumper jack now. Good idea for those without hydraulics and little help.
Auto salvage yards (junk yards) around here get $30 to $40 for these handy old jacks.   I bought one at a yard sale for 2 bucks. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kbeitz

I had one log that was kinda rotton.... The hook slipped out a few times before it turned...
The slip was slow as it dug in sliding around the log. So far I don't see much danger using this tool.
I tried to pull it out of a good log to see if it was unstable when the log was in the air but no way it was tight.
I'll let you all know if I have any misshapes or any problems using it...
One thing i did do was to oil it so it would go back down easyer.
I also welded a longer handle on the up/down switch.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Great idea, hope you don't mind if I copy it. Going to have to start searching for one of those Jacks from when cars had real bumpers.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Copy away.... Glad I could help.

I don't have help so any idea of making my job easer I'm going to try.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

I had to move this log 2 - 3 feet to the right. I usually pry it if a leverage point is available or use low gear on my head advance and push it with the saw head or ... use the bumper jack.  It is the easiest. 8)
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

I like the idea,  a short flat bar across the bottom might be enough to stop and kick outs if it becomes an issue.  I thought about this on the leveling jacks, just never pursued it to that point.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

deadfall

One could make a variety of interchangeable bases to fit whatever situation.  Also, what about building one with a double hook?
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

Another use is....
Find a chunk of pipe that will slide down over the jack.
Weld it fast to the part that moves up.
Drill a 5/8 hold through the top part of the pipe.
Find another chunk of pipe that slides over the pipe that you just welded om the jack.
Drill a 5/8" hole about every 6" up the pipe. Put a long bolt into the hole to tie the two pipes together.
The will make you and adjustable pusher from around 4 feet to 8-10 feel long.
Great for working on roofs to jack them up for new post.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

I've been using High Lift / Ranch Right type jacks that way, with a piece of pipe, for years.  Great for racking building frames straight.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Percy

Quote from: tmarch on July 08, 2015, 07:29:21 PM
Great idea, wish I was clever enough to think of things like that. ;)
Thats a great idea. A guy could modificate that to do several different tasks.... smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!