iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 257 vs 562xp

Started by Kronker, July 08, 2015, 03:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kronker

I am new around here but have been reading for a while now.  Anyway, I have a question for those that know a bit more than I do.  I currently have a 257 that I have had since new.  It is a good saw and hasn't given me any troubles.  I run a 24" bar on it and it is a little under powered for that.  I am only cutting softwoods like Western Larch, Doug Fir and the like.  I would like to get a little more under the hood and was looking at the 362XP.  It has basically the same size engine but delivers about 1 hp over what the 257 delivers.  Is that enough or should I go up to something like the 576xp?  This is mainly a firewoood saw for use and the tree's are rarely over 24".  What's everyone think?

Thanks 

mcourtney

555, perfect for your needs with an 18 inch bar.

JohnG28

I tuned up a 257 belonging to a buddy las year and ran it some before I sent it back to him. It's a decent saw, but nothing to write home about.  Was running a 20" bar also. If you step up to a modern pro or similar saw you won't be disappointed IMO. If you're set on Husky I'd check out the 555 as mentioned as well as 365xt, which is best bang for the buck out there IMO, but may be more than you're looking for. 365 would be most happy with a 20" but could easily run a 24". Probably want 20" at max on 555, though I don't know what it's spec'd at. Happy saw shopping!  8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nhlogga

562xp would suit your needs well.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

weimedog

If your young and a bit of a tinkerer a 365, if your older, weight matters and so does vibration..... 562xp
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

346xp

I would go with a 562xp 20" or 365xt 24" imo 8)

Maine logger88

Quote from: 346xp on July 10, 2015, 08:45:01 AM
I would go with a 562xp 20" or 365xt 24" imo 8)
X2 I tried a 24 on my 562 and the oiler didn't put out enough oil to properly lube the chain.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

562XP is my general  go to saw but when the stems get big my early  edition 372XP takes over. The 395XP  just sits and waits to lower a oversize stump.
My "new" 6 tank burned 272XP  still sits on the self afraid to get dirty :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

562 is the clear choice here.

If you've had the 257 since new, then we're talking close to 20 years ago. After that time, I'd assume that you wouldn't want the extra weight of the 365/372 chassis, so that's out. That leaves the 555 and 562. With an 18 or 20 inch bar, they are pretty close, but running a 24 you will want the extra power of the 562.

If you had bought the 262XP instead of the 257, that "little more under the hood" that you are looking for would already be there.  :)  So, why do the same thing again and buy a 555? The difference in price over 20 years is about $5 a year.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Local dealer here has 4 of the latest 562XP 's on display. They sure look nice with the new style fuel/oil filler caps, I'm  tempted to buy one but my 3 year old 562 is still  running perfect.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 11, 2015, 09:28:57 AM
Local dealer here has 4 of the latest 562XP 's on display. They sure look nice with the new style fuel/oil filler caps, I'm  tempted to buy one but my 3 year old 562 is still  running perfect.

What did they change abut the caps?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

Actually, yes! A modified version of the flippy caps.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Stinny

I've had a 257 for years with an 18" bar on it. Picked up a nice used 545 and set it up exactly the same as the 257 so I could swap chains if needed. The 545 is lighter, has a nicer feel to it and noticeable extra power. The 257 is now the "spare" saw.
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

celliott

Quote from: beenthere on July 12, 2015, 04:24:10 PM
Flippy caps?   ;D

The cap flips up for a handle of sorts. Standard screw threads like any old cap, unlike the stihl design.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Kronker

Thanks for all of the replies.  It has been about 20 yrs that I have owned the 257.  I don't like to think of such stuff.  It just doesn't seem like it has been that long.  I do like the feel of the 562 and I am kind of utilitarian in that I like having a do it all kind of tool.  If what I have been reading is correct the extra HP and new technology should be a significant jump in performance.  Getting a new saw would give me a chance to put a shorter bar on the 257 and get my 15 yr old daughter some time to learn.  Getting a bigger saw would be fun sometimes but running it all day long doesn't seem as appealing anymore.
Anyway, thanks for the help. 

George Zarifis

I don't have much experience with chainsaws but If I were you I would stay away from the huskys and buy a stihl (maybe an MS 261). On the other hand, if you want a husky the 550 XP or the 560 XP would be a good option.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

John Mc

George -

What problems have you had with Husky saws? They've always worked well for me, and a lot fo the pros around here use them. I understand that a lot of folks are partial to one brand or another, but as long as you are not buying the low-end, disposable saws, there are quite a few options out there from a number of different suppliers.  Husky and Stihl are two, Jonsered, Dolmar, and Echo are others that al make some good saws.

BTW... the 560XP is not sold in the United States. I'm not sure why. That's the saw I would buy if it were available here. The 562XP is basically the same saw, just a little heavier, and takes a large-mount bar.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

celliott

Quote from: John Mc on July 15, 2015, 11:28:27 AM
BTW... the 560XP is not sold in the United States. I'm not sure why. That's the saw I would buy if it were available here. The 562XP is basically the same saw, just a little heavier, and takes a large-mount bar.
Jonsered 2260 John  ;)
Alternatively, the 555 if you must have the angled handlebar. It can be converted to a 560 but not cost effective I'd say.
Plus the Jonsered doesn't have that silver paint!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

George Zarifis

To be honest, I've never used a husky saw but there is just something about them I don't like. I don't know why. Maybe I lean towards the Stihl ones because of the controlled distribution...
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

John Mc

Thanks, Chris. I was aware of the Jonsered 2260. Unfortunately, all of the real saw shops around here that sold Jonsered are closing down. There were some old timers who really knew their stuff - I hate to see them get out of the business. I think the combination of Tractor Supply getting into the Jonsered game and the advent of computer controlled saws convinced a lot of these guys it was time to retire.

Maine logger88

That is one thing to consider if you wanna share bars with your 257 then you may want to look into the 2260 or 555 cause there all the small mount. If that doesn't matter then the 562 is an awesome saw. I prefer the large mounts Anyway as that's what all my saws run. A ms261 isn't really in the same league as a 562 a 362 is tho If you prefer orange and white
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

nickcote48

You do not need a 24 inch bar anyway if I were you I would go with just putting a 18 inch or 20 inch on youre saw.

Thank You Sponsors!