iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up for my incoming Lt15 ( IT'S HERE!)

Started by Wallee, July 08, 2015, 01:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Some of you already know as you have helped me in my decision making process on which mill to go with, and I am very thankful to each and everyone of the helpful people this forum is comprised of! I am about a week and a half from receiving my mill and I am in the process of thinking how I will be setting it up under my grandfathers old mill shed. My Grandfather had a concrete poured sawdust pit underneath his circle mill that I am going to have to work around/cover up. I will have to pull a tape on the shed again tomorrow but I know the width of the shed is 18' and it is somewhere around 45' long. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow so you can see what I am dealing with and see if anyone has some helpful ideas or insight as to where they would place things. I am going to have a log deck for sure to keep my logs waiting instead of having to shut down to place a log each time. So expect to be flooded with pictures as I am using this thread as a means of teaching and learning! My thought process has me leaning towards setting up roller beds at the end of my mill and having them slightly lower than the mill itself so I can just pull the boards off the end and have them go straight onto the roller beds and from there have my sizes of lumber set up down each side and stack and sticker them there on the ground where I will come with my FEL and move them to a shed to air dry.

So first things first

Can Someone here who has a lt15 give me the measurement of the bed on the lt15 so I can know what size treated timbers to buy and how I need them set up. I am going to set the mill on the timbers perm. so I wont it to be sturdy. I am planning on concreting the pillars into the ground so it will be perm. and stay lvl.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Here is the mill shed and log yard. Shed is on the right. I will get better pics of the inside tomorrow. This is just what I had on my phone. If you look closely you can see some old rotted pine logs my grandfather never got to :(
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Chuck White

Congratulations on the mill!

Looks like it'll be a nice setup with that shed and log yard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

What happened to gramps circular mill.?? Best thing I can say with your 15 is to set it at a handy working hight for yourself. If you have enough strength in the overhead a winch will help greatly turning heavy logs more so if its on a track. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

In our part of the South, powderpost beetles can be a huge problem on some hardwoods like the oaks, hickory, pecan, and ash.  You might have to spray the green boards before stickering, so think about how you will do that too.  I use a 10' wide table behind the mill to catch the boards from the mill so that they can be laid out for spraying.  The good thing is that you do not have to spray pine and most of the diffuse porous hardwoods have less risk for infestation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Wallee,

Check the WM site and look up the LT15 and go to Technical Specs for the dimensions you are asking about.

Congratulations.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kng

These are some measurements I made of the actually LT15 bed.  I had to make it two images in order for the resolution to be high enough to read the numbers.  Hope this helps...

2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

Verticaltrx

I have mine up on treated timber running cross ways to the mill, each being about 4' long. It's best to get the mill up to knee height if you can for easy log turning and board handling. If I were setting it up stationary I'd probably pour 10" dia. concrete piers to the proper height and bolt it down to those.

Below is a diagram of how I have mine laid out. Mine is outside for now, but the layout would be the same in an adequately sized shed.

One other thing I plan to do is add a couple extra bed sections. That way I can just stack and clamp my lumber to be edged right on the end of the mill and not have to handle the flitches/boards twice.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Wallee

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 08, 2015, 07:15:09 AM
What happened to gramps circular mill.?? Best thing I can say with your 15 is to set it at a handy working hight for yourself. If you have enough strength in the overhead a winch will help greatly turning heavy logs more so if its on a track. Frank C.
Old mill had to be sold to keep grandma afloat the past few years.
Quote from: Verticaltrx on July 08, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
I have mine up on treated timber running cross ways to the mill, each being about 4' long. It's best to get the mill up to knee height if you can for easy log turning and board handling. If I were setting it up stationary I'd probably pour 10" dia. concrete piers to the proper height and bolt it down to those.

Below is a diagram of how I have mine laid out. Mine is outside for now, but the layout would be the same in an adequately sized shed.

One other thing I plan to do is add a couple extra bed sections. That way I can just stack and clamp my lumber to be edged right on the end of the mill and not have to handle the flitches/boards twice.

I like how you have this planned out! I am looking to do something really similar with maybe a roller bed in place at the end of the mill to help with handling a bit!
Quote from: kng on July 08, 2015, 09:00:46 AM
These are some measurements I made of the actually LT15 bed.  I had to make it two images in order for the resolution to be high enough to read the numbers.  Hope this helps...

Thanks for the specs, exactly what I was looking for!!!

Wallee

kng So if I put my pillars on 34" centers It would sit on some treated 4x6 timbers?

Wallee

Here is half of the shed in the middle you can see the old dust pit where the dust chain ran.
Here is the pit, its full of rotten dust and water.

beenthere

There are several who would like that sawdust pit... maybe you can sell it.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on July 08, 2015, 11:42:38 PM
There are several who would like that sawdust pit... maybe you can sell it.   ;D ;D

Ha ha well I tell you back in the day that thing was awesome! it worked great! There was a roller in the bottom that went to a pully on a power pole and it ran off the mandrel. Was a sweet set up!

kng

Quote from: Wallee on July 08, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

kng So if I put my pillars on 34" centers It would sit on some treated 4x6 timbers?

I'm not sure if I understand your question exactly, but the dimension width of my trailer showing 34" outside dimension and 30" inside dimension matches the Woodmizer's bed section dimensions.  Hope this helps...
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

Wallee

Quote from: kng on July 09, 2015, 07:48:16 AM
Quote from: Wallee on July 08, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

I'm not sure if I understand your question exactly, but the dimension width of my trailer showing 34" outside dimension and 30" inside dimension matches the Woodmizer's bed section dimensions.  Hope this helps...

It does! I plan on setting my 4x6 timbers 34" apart to the outside edges.

Wallee

Sooo I couldn't wait, went ahead and built and leveled a bed for the lt15 to set on 8)

Then little man had to try and hold the saw!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

"Little man" is taking a serious interest in this sawmilling thing.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2015, 08:02:49 AM
"Little man" is taking a serious interest in this sawmilling thing.   smiley_thumbsup
Ha ha Indeed he is!
Quote from: WDH on July 10, 2015, 07:34:14 AM
That should work nicely. 
I hope so man! Its all leveled up and ready for the mill to be set on it. I am going to add the log deck once the mill gets here!

East ky logging

Good looking setup. Your timbers should hold up fine but the best part is a family working together and making memories that will last forever.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

stanwelch

Lookin good Wallee!  Welcome to the LT15 club  8). I'm looking forward to seeing that baby set up and sawing.  I can tell you are excited
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Kingcha

Welcome to the lt 15 club, I just love mine.   
Looks good
If you still have time and room go one more level on your bed, your back will be happier with you.   Some one had suggested that to me but unfortunately my headroom was too low.   If I ever move it that is the one of the things I will do different.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Wallee

Quote from: East ky logging on July 10, 2015, 05:42:40 PM
Good looking setup. Your timbers should hold up fine but the best part is a family working together and making memories that will last forever.

My Dad is just as excited as I am! He is a 3rd gen sawyer. He can tell some great stories of my Great uncles old mill! My great grandfather, grandfather, father, and now me have all worked at mills! At one time my great grandfather's brother ran a very large mill.

Quote from: Kingcha on July 10, 2015, 09:15:49 PM
Welcome to the lt 15 club, I just love mine.   
Looks good
If you still have time and room go one more level on your bed, your back will be happier with you.   Some one had suggested that to me but unfortunately my headroom was too low.   If I ever move it that is the one of the things I will do different.

Matt
Thanks for the Welcome! I am really excited because I have been eyeballing a mill ever since we were forced to sell our last which has been 5 years and through some hard work and patience I am finally getting to see it come true! I am going to see How it sets on  this setup and if it feels short then I will add another block taller through all the cross sections!

WDH

I would also raise it up one more level. 

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on July 11, 2015, 07:31:47 AM
I would also raise it up one more level.
lol now you guys have me wanting to go put more blocks in!

Thank You Sponsors!