iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening a carbide-tooth chain

Started by George Zarifis, July 07, 2015, 10:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

Does anyone know how to sharpen a carbide tooth chain? Maybe with a diamond wheel grinder or something? I have no idea what so ever!
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

beenthere

Geo
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Do you have a carbide-tooth chain?  What do you use it for?  Interested in your experience with it.

Wonder if you bought the saw with a carbide chain.

Pls click on your forum name, and then update your profile with some "location" info. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

George Zarifis

No, I don't have any carbide chains. I didn't buy my saw (MS 261 C-M) with a carbide chain because I didn't know (and I stil don't) how to sharpen it. I'm just interested to learn some things about carbide chains and in the future I might get one.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

sawguy21

A diamond wheel is required, a file won't touch it. Carbide tipped chain is designed for demolition work, fire rescue etc, it is slow for normal everyday cutting. Besides, it is DanG expensive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Grandedog

Howdy,
   The least expensive way to sharpen them is with a handheld grinder, and a diamond stone. Not sure if I can mention brands.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Al_Smith

The demolition type heavy carbide tipped chain as mentioned is very very costly .It's made for rescue work .

The less expensive thin carbide plated chain sold by a popular saw manufacturer is made for people who either don't know how to sharpen a chain or are just plain lazy .For general purpose chainsaw work it's not the best choice in my opinion .

Fact I once had a very niave young sales lady attempt to sell me a loop .About the time she went into her P T Barnum spiel the owner of the dealership came into the sales room and burst out laughing .He said "honey you couldn't pay that guy to take a loop of that chain " --old school Al . ;)

skipster

ah yes,i got that spiel once.
The chain that never needs sharpening,the politician who never lied,the whiskey that wouldnt give you a hangover,the girl who would love you forever etc etc.
IF they invented such a chain,chain manufacturers would probably arrange for the technical details to be buried in some deep dark hole in the woods along with the inventor.

bandmiller2

In my other life I was a fire service mechanic and responsible for anything the least bit mechanical. We had roof ventilating  chainsaws that used that DanGed carbide tipped chain, if I recall it was around $100.00 a loop and if there were more than three or four bits missing on the chain it wasen't worth repairing. I pieced and patched, every time they drilled with it they would trash a chain. It was almost worthless for downed trees. I found that regular chain would work just as well cutting roofs it would dull but still rip out shingles and boards. I ordered a roll of chain and made up loops and considered the chains disposable. Saved the town a lot of coin and had a more effective ventilating tool. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!