iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ribs,

Started by drobertson, July 04, 2015, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Home alone for one more week, then back to normal again, a simple celebration, one can never practice enough with ribs on the grill.

several more hours in a tight wrap of foil, then we'll see
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

What time is dinner? ;D That looks mighty good. We bake them in the oven, add the sauce, let sit for a couple of hours then I finish on the grill. One of my favorite meals. Tried to grill only but they were tough and dry.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandsawmill14

fixin to put some on myself right now  ;D hope every one has a good 4th of july
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

21incher

They look great. Next batch I'm going to try putting bacon on like you do. Enjoy your 4th.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 04, 2015, 05:53:29 PM
What time is dinner? ;D That looks mighty good. We bake them in the oven, add the sauce, let sit for a couple of hours then I finish on the grill. One of my favorite meals. Tried to grill only but they were tough and dry.
I had trouble such as that at when I first started doing them like this on the grill. Pretty much have it figure out, and for me it boils down to temp, 225-250 for bout 3 hours or when bone pull begins, over temping can do damage on the grill, so steady mid, low heat, then the when the meat(starts) sliding on the bone, do a tight foil wrap, add bout 1/4 of liquid of choice, and I finish in the oven at 225 for an additional 3 hours.  The bag puffs up like jiffy pot, and the bones slide right out of the rack slicker than snot, tear apart with your fingers and build a bonified  Rib samich!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

The two best meats on the pig. I will def have to give that a try.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

You bet hard to choose between the bone in butt and baby backs, here is a not so good pic of the result just prior to the gum bumping that ensued ;D

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

drobertson

Oh my God! I can only imagine the aroma, they look absolutely perfect! What a group there, looks like a fantastic time!  Pretty certain there was no need to clang the dinner bell :D

sandhills

Awesome looking ribs and a great looking crew, next year I'll bring the salad  :D.

Raider Bill

Salad?
Closest thing to salad we had was fresh picked tomatoes and cukes with some balsamic vineger drizzled on.
For veggies it was fried cabbage.
We had pasta with meat sauce and sausage, chicken, beef, pork-chops and beans which were about 40% meat ;)
And beer. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D Lot of grilling to feed that crowd.  smiley_divide bon_fire bon_fire bon_fire smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_hourglass smiley_love musteat_1 sketti_1 food6 smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast food2 food2 food2 food2 smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

okmulch

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 08, 2015, 03:17:29 PM
Salad?
You know beer is made of hops and barley. That's all the salad You need when there's all that fine pork to eat.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

sandhills

I stand corrected, just trying to invite myself over for the ribs (and hops and barley)  ;D

WV Sawmiller

Drob,

If I understand correctly you grilled the meat then wrapped in foil to bake a little longer and tenderize the meat.

I think I do my chicken and ribs in reverse and boil or nuc them nearly done first then put them on the grill to finish, bake on the sauce and get the smoke/grilling flavor (Boiling works better because you can add salt and spices to the water to help season the meat before grilling). I don't do well cooking thick raw meat or poultry on the grill. Old USMC mess chief showed me how to boil/bake near done first when we sent them out for party rations. He was a master at what he did.

Your ribs sure do look tasty and I bet they are even better in real life.

Raider Bill,

I didn't know anyone else fried cabbage much. We cook it occasionally and actually it makes good camp food/one pot meal. Dice up a little bacon to grease the bottom of the pan and add flavor, fry till crispy, then throw in a pack of good beef hot dogs or link sausage cut crossway into half inch cubes and cook them till done, then throw the coarsely chopped cabbage on top and cook it down till nearly tender (need a little crunch actually) and serve with fresh baked cornbread where available. The cabbage can easily be cooked on a fish cooker in the field.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

I like to chop some onions in the mix too and lots of black pepper. A few pickled jalapenos on the side with a little of the juice over the cabbage. Had a big mess of it the other day for lunch.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandsawmill14

cooking ribs again

but these still had the shoulders, back and hams attached  ;D  also cooked a few chickens and a stick of bologna       bologna didnt make it to the photo shoot  :D :D :D

WDH

Dang, this is almost as bad as the Walnut threads  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Buncha show offs.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D    it was supposed to happen last weekend for the forth but we had to postpone  :D

Raider Bill

Boil meat first? Seems you'd be boiling out the flavor?

I throw in a apple or 2 along with onion.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I NEVER boil my ribs. I do remove the membrane from the back of the rack. I like to put a heavy rub on mine and tightly wrap plastic wrap around each rack. Put in the fridge for 24 hours or more.
Then slow smoke.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

I always pull the membrane too. Bit of a pain but well worth it. I've found paper towels work best unless I have a pair of bullhead pliers handy.

WV Sawmiller

Yes, you can boil the ribs. One advantage is you can get salt and seasoning in the meat while boiling it. Can also nuke it or par-bake it. More important with chicken that really needs to be nearly done before grilling.

I am sure you can cook either just on the grill if you cook them slow enough - I usually burn outside and inside raw if I try cooking raw meat (other than burgers) on the grill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Brine them for 12 hours in a salt, sugar, and black pepper solution.  Then, season them with rub and let them rest.  Then, pre-cook in the oven at 250 degrees for about 4 hours wrapped in foil if you do not have the ability to slow (and I mean slow) cook them on the grill.  Then, place them on the grill with charcoal offset to one side (indirect grilling), and grill them slow for one hour with hickory, oak, or cherry wood for smoke (more smoke than heat).  This is enough time to give them the perfect amount of smoke flavor and to create the color and perfect tenderness.  Wrap in foil for 30 minutes, let rest, and enjoy.  Mmmmmm

Slow smoking on a BBQ cooker at 250 degrees for 6 hours is better, but many of us do not have an outdoor grill that we can maintain this temp for that long.  The offset BBQ cookers with a separate firebox for hardwood fire/coals is best, but most of us don't have these. 

A man has to improvise.  The ribs are still awesome.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!