iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Lt-10 doing the happy dance

Started by addysdaddy, July 04, 2015, 12:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addysdaddy

???Sawed up some ash for my neighbor this morning. He arrived with them in a pickup truck. had them on a sheet of plywood with 4 rollers under it... 1 little tug and they were off... 

But on to the topic... This ash was 1 1/2 year old dried and when we got into cutting my sawmill started doing the happy dance. I wish I had made a video but the technology eludes me so far. If you picture a happy dog running away from you kind of left right left right in a swaying motion that's what the mill was doing...everything over 6 inch wide would cause this... it was cutting well with no roughness or climbing dropping. the blades I was using (WM doublesharp 10 degree) were both new... I tried a second blade to see if that was it.. speeding up and slowing down did nothing to alter the motion... it seemed to start about 3 feet into the wood... no noticeable slowing of the engine... I was using water with pinesol lube in small doses and heavy doses and no difference... wonder if the wood was too dry or if the 10 degree blades were taking too big a bite... Any thoughts would be appreciated... Sawed the large birch yesterday with no issues?
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Dave Shepard

That sounds like rough going. I run 4s on my mill for ash, but I don't know if that is recommended for your mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sixacresand

Try pushing the head a little slower.  When mine started to shimmy, I would stop pushing until it stopped and then start again.  Had to be patient with those dancing logs :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Ash is notoriously bad for growth stress.  It can be a pain in the butt log to saw. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

To stop that on my mill I added this....
Seem like the wood was trying to pull the blade into the wood...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!